Dotun Adebayo on UAN

Comments

• m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »
    as long as his race isnt being used as a factor either explicitly or otherwise.

he is not very good but that is true for all of 5lives line up.
    No, it's not true . Just a sweeping generalisation. There are some pretty decent broadcasters on 5 live. Unfortunately there's also a fair few rubbishy ones too, but to tar them all with the same brush is just being obtuse.
  • BellaLugosiBellaLugosi Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    "If you're black and using racial language to hate on a Black presenter, you're a racist." This is moot, black on black name calling is surely a different dynamic from black/white, white/asian name calling.

I'm fascinated by the way this thread has veered off into a race debate. Do IWorkinradio and MapperleyRidge feel that certain types of presenter are above reproach and criticism due to their ethnicity? If it were 'Donna Adebayo' we were criticising would we be accused of anti-feminism and told our antipathy was due to her being a woman? It's slightly sinister that DA is considered untouchable by some because of his skintone. Is that not invertedly racist? Let me reiterate a point from my earlier posts - IT'S NOT RACE, IT'S NOT COLOUR, IT'S COMPETENCE!
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member

I'm fascinated by the way this thread has veered off into a race debate. Do IWorkinradio and MapperleyRidge feel that certain types of presenter are above reproach and criticism due to their ethnicity? If it were 'Donna Adebayo' we were criticising would we be accused of anti-feminism and told our antipathy was due to her being a woman? It's slightly sinister that DA is considered untouchable by some because of his skintone. Is that not invertedly racist? Let me reiterate a point from my earlier posts - IT'S NOT RACE, IT'S NOT COLOUR, IT'S COMPETENCE!

No, that's not what I said. Go back to post #568

I also referred to the "Teddy Boy" claim - something that others brought up. It seems that part of their anger is because of the way that DA sometimes refers to this. It's less to do with race, and more to do with cultural and social identity.

Let me give you a comparator : Zoe Ball banging on about her wonderful husband and kids or Moyles celebrity anme-dropping stories. Both of these presenters use their life experiences to tell stories on the radio. Some may well be exaggerated slightly for impact. It's a performance.

You'll also note that in post #568 that I specifically said that this doesn't make DA a good or bad broadcaster.
  • BellaLugosiBellaLugosi Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Let's assume we all work at UAN Ltd. and that there's a chap who works in Sales called Dotun. We are the accounts department and we deal with sales regularly, we know what makes a good salesman and what doesnt. Dotun, in our opinion, is not a good salesman, has a grating, self aggrandising personality, irritates the heck out of us and we like to moan about him as often as possible. We fully accept that there are some in the office who like him, the vast majority don't. The problem comes from the likers/fence sitters who imply an ulterior, racial/cultural motive to our complaints that is just not there.

You quote Zoe Ball, Mapperley, now there's a woman who's made a microscopic talent go a very long way. Some will agree with that opinion some will not. It will not however, I can guarantee, garner as much volatile debate as this thread has.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    You quote Zoe Ball, Mapperley, now there's a woman who's made a microscopic talent go a very long way. Some will agree with that opinion some will not. It will not however, I can guarantee, garner as much volatile debate as this thread has.

But my substantive point there is that Zoe, like most radio broadcasters, are performing - in her case (and Dotun's) using their life experience in their presentation.

Incidentally, one erstwhile poster who had more lifetime bans than user names on DS made something of a career predicting the rise and rise of Zoe Ball, opening up more threads on the subject than Radio 2 has listeners.

(OK, I may have exaggerated slightly there, but you get the point).

And again, I certainly didn't start the race debate on this thread.
  • IworkinradioIworkinradio Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    "
    I'm fascinated by the way this thread has veered off into a race debate. Do IWorkinradio and MapperleyRidge feel that certain types of presenter are above reproach and criticism due to their ethnicity? !

Not at all. but certain type of poster things that sly, if unsubtle racism doesn't count.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    If you ever come to read this Thread, you will see that not everyone is fool enough to be convinced by your manifest vanity about just how skilled a so-called “broadcaster” and so-called “journalist” you are.

Dotun, do you ever realise how deeply frustrating it is that you dominate Up All Night 4 nights a week, and are so generously employed at the license fee paying public’s expense by a BBC that must be so eager to please with its politically correct ethnicity quotas and smug box ticking culture to still employ such a cloddish radio host.

Dotun Adebeyo, you:

– are a gauche, irritating and clumsy “broadcaster”
    – often come across as inexperienced at your trade
    – are inept, bumbling, maladroit, bungling and utterly lack mental finesse or insightful thinking
    – consistently miss time your interventions, like radio beginner on his first day
    – waffle, bluster and bluff your way through every show
    – frequently interrupt or destroy an interesting thread or commentary by a guest with your incompetence and idiocy
    – give us nothing but car crash radio - embarrassing and cringe worthy
    – randomly seize a passing detail and try to make a running “joke” out of it for a seemingly never ending period of time. We beg for it to stop. You do this to the obvious bewilderment of your guests and frustration of your listeners
    – are often asked by an interviewee to repeat a question - either because you haven’t yet learned how to talk properly, your question is clumsy and irrelevant, or it is so dumb they cannot believe their ears. I have heard this happen many times.
    – bore us with badly told stories, devoid of laughs, about your life, as if you, not your guests/interviewees/callers are the star of the show
    – constantly try to show how clever you must be with your philosophy degree (big deal man). Or how about the time you realised a quote you heard was from Hamlet, so you kept constantly repeating your realisation of this - pathetic
    – fill the airwaves with pointless drivel during the Virtual Jukebox segment. Even though you have done this segment for many months now, you still miss the point that each time, it’s all about getting as many listeners’ nominations mentioned or played as possible. You still haven’t realised that. Of course, because you wouldn’t, would you?

Some license fee payers don’t want to hear your flannel any longer.

We are deeply galled that we’re paying a (probably) generous remuneration for what are merely blundering and amateurish efforts.

Make it stop.

:
    He is without doubt the single worst presenter on main-stream media today.
    Take head Adebayo, for Jimbo Asprilla is a wise man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Finally found somewhere I can mouth off about this person. Is it against some obscure law not to mention the fact that Mr Adebayo is NOT a broadcaster of any competence? He loves to drop in at any opportunity his educational and occupational qualifications but appears to be poorly educated and know less than me - quite a hard thing actually!

His book phone-in should be a joy - literary talk on mainstream radio is a rarity - but it's constantly spoiled by his unintellectual twitterings and butting-ins. His co-presenter rarely gets a word in and callers views are ignored especially if they dare to disagree with his politically correct diktat. His coverage of the Hay festival is abominable. I shouldn't have to feel embarrassed when a national broadcaster interviews overseas guests but I do.

Surely there is a presenter willing to work weekend nights so that we don't have to keep scraping the bottom of this particular barrel. Why not have regular guest presenters - technically adept and broadcast competent of course!
    R300 wrote: »
    One minute he's Nigerian, then the next night he's proclaiming to be a thorough-bred Tottenham Boy, then he's almost Swedish the next night - all depends who he's talking to at the time. Can't stand the man - although of late I've just let his lack of professionalism wash over me. The facts are that he's no good as a speech broadcaster due to the fact that he can hardly string more than a few words together without mumbling and stumbling over them.
    :cool: Two good points – among many in this Thread.
    crudian wrote: »
    Who the hell is gonna stop up to talk to this donut
    nwda wrote: »
    His name is Dotun!!! (made me laugh!)
    :D
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ScreenTest wrote: »
    If you ever come to read this Thread, you will see that not everyone is fool enough to be convinced by your manifest vanity about just how skilled a so-called “broadcaster” and so-called “journalist” you are.

Dotun, do you ever realise how deeply frustrating it is that you dominate Up All Night 4 nights a week, and are so generously employed at the license fee paying public’s expense by a BBC that must be so eager to please with its politically correct ethnicity quotas and smug box ticking culture to still employ such a cloddish radio host.

Dotun Adebeyo, you:

– are inept, bumbling, maladroit, bungling and utterly lack mental finesse or insightful thinking
    – consistently miss time your interventions, like radio beginner on his first day
    – frequently interrupt or destroy an interesting thread or commentary by a guest with your incompetence and idiocy
    – randomly seize a passing detail and try to make a running “joke” out of it for a seemingly never ending period of time. We beg for it to stop. You do this to the obvious bewilderment of your guests and frustration of your listeners
    – are often asked by an interviewee to repeat a question - either because you haven’t yet learned how to talk properly, your question is clumsy and irrelevant, or it is so dumb they cannot believe their ears. I have heard this happen many times.
    – bore us with badly told stories, devoid of laughs, about your life, as if you, not your guests/interviewees/callers are the star of the show
    – constantly try to show how clever you must be with your philosophy degree (big deal man). Or how about the time you realised a quote you heard was from Hamlet, so you kept constantly repeating your realisation of this - pathetic
    – fill the airwaves with pointless drivel during the Virtual Jukebox segment. Even though you have done this segment for many months now, you still miss the point that each time, it’s all about getting as many listeners’ nominations mentioned or played as possible. You still haven’t realised that. Of course, because you wouldn’t, would you?

We are deeply galled that we’re paying a (probably) generous remuneration for what are merely blundering and amateurish efforts.

Make it stop.

:Take head Adebayo, for Jimbo Asprilla is a wise man.

Many good points - both about the BBC and its policies - and about the inept, bumbling, mobile ground zero that is Dotun.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find UAN when he's hosting it is a totally different programme.

He spends hours talking about football, music and films, but not in an interesting way.

But in a really boring way. I have to turn off!!
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find UAN when he's hosting it is a totally different programme.

He spends hours talking about football, music and films, but not in an interesting way.

But in a really boring way. I have to turn off!!

You've just noticed! ;)

He is literally blagging his way through much of this show. The technology phone in he's been doing recently clearly holds no interest for him.

He's made a music phone in seem deadly dull too. See my Virtual Jukebox thread on that one.

Affable just isn't enough I'm afraid. Without that trait, and his ethnicity he'd have been gone long ago. But this is BBC!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Screen Test's summary of his faults, all true, and that's why I've stopped listening to him.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I was surprised to find this thread was revived from 2011 and every word still applies today. He has not improved one iota and the bosses take no notice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I like Dotun when he does the WFPI, he shows a genuine passion for it and he enjoys it,
    The World Music section can be hit and miss but sometimes its really good, same with the new music section.
    Im not right into films or gadgets so don't listen to to them but Ive seen threads in the past that suggest people enjoy them.
    He isnt the greatest presenter, thats why I pick and choose what I listen to.
    Must admit, He comes in for criticism, fair play, each to there own, but atleast give a reason why you think this? no point just saying "He is rubbish, blah, blah, blah." give reasons.
    The reason I pick and choose is because I like the WFPI, he has a passion for it the way I do, same with music. The rest I don't listen to because I couldn't give a toss about films or whats happening in New York, Got the World Service for that kind of thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dotun Adebeyo, you:

This is a brilliantly written and perceptive account of listening to Up All Night on Radio 5 Live between 1am & 5am Thursday's to Sunday's over the past decade plus. It really cannot be bettered. :cool:
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dotun Adebeyo, you:

– consistently miss time your interventions
    – frequently interrupt or destroy an interesting thread or commentary by a guest
    – randomly seize a passing detail and try to make a running “joke” out of it for a seemingly never ending period of time.

Sadly these are the exact reasons why I've had to give up on the World Football Phone In. I always enjoy listening to Tim Vickery but Dotun's blundering interventions have simply gone beyond a joke.
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the whole point of UAN - to Adebeyo - is that it is Adebeyocentric.

Regarding any subject matter, quite literally everything must be centred around his own experience of it, real or imagined, and in most cases imagined, especially music.

Add his phoney patois to the rest of his bullshine, and you have one unlistenable individual - but only to the discerning evidently.
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purely an exercise in ticking diversity boxes I'm afraid. There can be no other reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    able1 wrote: »
    Surely the whole point of UAN - to Adebeyo - is that it is Adebeyocentric.

Regarding any subject matter, quite literally everything must be centred around his own experience of it, real or imagined, and in most cases imagined, especially music.

Add his phoney patois to the rest of his bullshine, and you have one unlistenable individual - but only to the discerning evidently.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Omar calling in unexpectedly on the Virtual Jukebox segment. Caught out totally, yet still tried to bluster out of it.

Since that point I rarely take any of the self aggrandising anecdotes very seriously.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly these are the exact reasons why I've had to give up on the World Football Phone In. I always enjoy listening to Tim Vickery but Dotun's blundering interventions have simply gone beyond a joke.

I fully concur with this. A great opportunity to present an informative discussion on football outside these shores, ruined by the nonsense from the presenter and the indulgence of callers who play up to it.
  • nwdanwda Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Hes still there, still doing it, from saying distractors instead of detractors during his tease on the Nolan show, to talking over good music.
  • Cyber JohnCyber John Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Well done
  • Cyber JohnCyber John Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Sorry, did not add, Dotun And Chiles weird sojourn in radio chat should be executed. Dotun has been odd and boring, Chiles has been weird and deserving of execution.
  • Bruin ParkerBruin Parker Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    It's 2017. He's still there, but there seems to be less of Rhod Sharp than ever. Why??

10 years and more of this thread and he's got no better.

Still the single best argument for World Service at 3 am...
  • soma_soma_ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    edited 12/08/17 - 22:33 #626
    The Sack wrote: »
    Why oh why is Dotun Adebayo still presenting UAN after all these years. He really is the worse presenter i have ever heard with his constant name dropping, false laughter, butting in and speaking over guests with irrelevant facts and dull anecdotes. You can hear the regular guests cringing in despair as he starts and i am surprised some of them have not just hung up on him.

I wish Cash Peters was on Dotuns shift cos i reckon he would shred him to bits and tell him where to get off.

his crime is that he is boring.
    on the positive hes a tick box and always on message .