Downton Abbey Series Five Thread

Comments

• ZipgoesamillionZipgoesamillion Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Anna's already in the clink but I think I know what you're getting at with someone connected to Mary. Possibly!

They have barely shared scenes in series 5 so I'm not sure why they'd suddenly become more friendly. I don't think Isobel is such a flibbertigibbet that she'd go from being excited about marrying Lord Merton to a relationship with another man within a few weeks.

Having Isobel make such a U-turn isn't really in character but also, she was never remotely interested in Dr Clarkson before so why would she be now?

Only as a friend.:)

I know a number of viewers think a certain person connected to Mary might be responsible and that person had a dark side, which we never really saw. Some thought the scene in the park was a sign of it but personally I just saw someone who had been let down and reacted in shock. I thought he looked slightly more menacing at Rose's wedding reception.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only as a friend.:)

I know a number of viewers think a certain person connected to Mary might be responsible and that person had a dark side, which we never really saw. Some thought the scene in the park was a sign of it but personally I just saw someone who had been let down and reacted in shock. I thought he looked slightly more menacing at Rose's wedding reception.

Let down? His hopes may have been dashed but that's hardly being "let down".

I watched episode 8 with my mother who commented during that scene "He won't take 'no' for an answer."

That got me thinking - we saw him refuse to take no for an answer in Kensington Gardens, and also in the scene with Blake at Downton, when he basically said Mary didn't know her own mind. Charming.

Which other man didn't take no for answer? Green.
  • FluffyBunnykinsFluffyBunnykins Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Yes, we didn't see the pigs at all this series. We want the pigs! We want the pigs! :D

and PUPPIES :kitty::kitty:

Lord G is feeling a bit low. Everyone (upstairs and downstairs) individually and secretly decides that what he needs to cheer him up is a new puppy to replace Isis. On Christmas Day he gets the puppies. Lots of puppies. They yap so much that no one can hear a word the rest of the cast says. :o:D:kitty:
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    and PUPPIES :kitty::kitty:

Lord G is feeling a bit low. Everyone (upstairs and downstairs) individually and secretly decides that what he needs to cheer him up is a new puppy to replace Isis. On Christmas Day he gets the puppies. Lots of puppies. They yap so much that no one can hear a word the rest of the cast says. :o:D:kitty:

:D:D:D

That's really funny :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Anna's already in the clink but I think I know what you're getting at with someone connected to Mary. Possibly!

They have barely shared scenes in series 5 so I'm not sure why they'd suddenly become more friendly. I don't think Isobel is such a flibbertigibbet that she'd go from being excited about marrying Lord Merton to a relationship with another man within a few weeks.

Having Isobel make such a U-turn isn't really in character but also, she was never remotely interested in Dr Clarkson before so why would she be now?

I'm only going on what I saw of the filming and what I read in the local paper. Other than that I haven't a clue. But Mary was filmed at the entrance to York Prison (aka Alnwick Castle). And the doctor and Isobel were walking arm in arm. Unless the whole team was having us on, and it was some stunt for the onlookers and the press.

I eagerly await Christmas Day to discover the fictional truth. :D
  • VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edith's daughter is called Marigold. Does anyone else like that name. It sounds like a flower to me. Perhaps it was a popular name of the era. Apparently Churchill had a daughter named Marigold who died age 2/3 years.

Oh, yes, it is a beautiful name. Then again, I like old names. My youngest daughter is two years old, and her name is Cordelia. Very uncommon here in Norway, only 21 women have that name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    I'm only going on what I saw of the filming and what I read in the local paper. Other than that I haven't a clue. But Mary was filmed at the entrance to York Prison (aka Alnwick Castle). And the doctor and Isobel were walking arm in arm. Unless the whole team was having us on, and it was some stunt for the onlookers and the press.

The pair in the picture weren't Isobel and Dr. Clarkson. They looked a bit like them but on closer view it were just some extras.

And since Anna got arrested in 5.08, it is clear whom Mary is visiting in prison.
  • ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could be on to something there, Could they make Tom a co-owner of Downton to give him a vested interest in the estate? It would mean it is also Sybbie's inheritance.

I'm not sure how it could be done - perhaps Mary could give him half her share. That would mean Robert owns 50% and Mary and Tom own 25% each.

It looks like it could be Matthew Goode, one of the spare men watching the dancing. They really all look very similar though

I suspected a while ago that they might offer him some financial stake in the estate, something besides just a salary. And that would give him an incentive to stay for the sake of Sybbie's financial future and therefore her education. His cousin is doing well selling cars but it's not a sure thing and he would be uprooting her life.

Allen also said in one interview that he has to decide whether to go to America or stay at Downton "to ensure Sybbie's birthright" or something like that. Well, what birthright? She doesn't own any of Downton. But if she did then he would have more of an incentive to stay and invest his time and life into it.

And I also thought that little snippet between Cora and Robert was interesting. I actually suspected maybe Cora would get sick. Because they like to pull siwtcheroos. Cora is worried about Robert's health...then she ends up having a major health scare. Just like Matthew was worried about Mary traveling while pregnant and he ended up dying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scoutlet wrote: »
    I suspected a while ago that they might offer him some financial stake in the estate, something besides just a salary. And that would give him an incentive to stay for the sake of Sybbie's financial future and therefore her education. His cousin is doing well selling cars but it's not a sure thing and he would be uprooting her life.

Allen also said in one interview that he has to decide whether to go to America or stay at Downton "to ensure Sybbie's birthright" or something like that. Well, what birthright? She doesn't own any of Downton. But if she did then he would have more of an incentive to stay and invest his time and life into it.

And I also thought that little snippet between Cora and Robert was interesting. I actually suspected maybe Cora would get sick. Because they like to pull siwtcheroos. Cora is worried about Robert's health...then she ends up having a major health scare. Just like Matthew was worried about Mary traveling while pregnant and he ended up dying.

Well Cora having a health scare is a thought but she nearly died in S2 from Spanish flu. IMO JF won't go down that route with her again. There would be more drama from Robert being taken ill. If he were incapacitated in anyway it would bring more into play. A serious illness would have a knock-on effect on not only his family but the estate and its employees.

Other than Mary offering Tom part of her share (don't see her doing that) I don't see how it could work, as Robert's 50% is entailed and will go directly to George, when the time comes. I think Tom will stay but it will be something else that causes it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Cora having a health scare is a thought but she nearly died in S2 from Spanish flu. IMO JF won't go down that route with her again. There would be more drama from Robert being taken ill. If he were incapacitated in anyway it would bring more into play. A serious illness would have a knock-on effect on not only his family but the estate and its employees.

Other than Mary offering Tom part of her share (don't see her doing that) I don't see how it could work, as Robert's 50% is entailed and will go directly to George, when the time comes. I think Tom will stay but it will be something else that causes it.

I don't know how it would work either, but then the financial details of Matthew's investment in the estate were never really explained fully and plenty of other such details have been glossed over on the show. Why all of Robert's money was invested in one business, for example. And the ridiculous Bates trial.

Perhaps something to do with building those houses? I didn't quite get the point of that whole story except maybe CHANGE. But Allen said something about Tom having to choose whether to leave or stay and work for Sybbie's "birthright". What exactly is her birthright if it doesn't have to do with the family legacy? Tom owns nothing.

Tom hasn't once talked about Sybbie's "birthright" or anything of the kind this season that I can remember. All he said was that she was "one of them" to Sarah. He might have just used the word very broadly. It is usually defined as an inheritance or status by birth, such as the tittle and estate. More broadly it means "heritage," as in her English (Toff) heritage. But he hasn't talked about that at all either.

I do think Robert being taken ill makes more sense but that line in the trailer was a bit of a giveaway, no? Unless of course no one was meant to see that and when the official trailer is revealed that tidbit will not be in it.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it odd that the police took Anna to the station without telling her she would be in an identity parade. Or was I not listening properly? I must admit I don't watch now with the same interest that I did at first. The who killed Mr Green saga seems to just go on and on.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it odd that the police took Anna to the station without telling her she would be in an identity parade. Or was I not listening properly? I must admit I don't watch now with the same interest that I did at first. The who killed Mr Green saga seems to just go on and on.......

No you didn't miss anything. The police didn't tell Anna why they wanted her to report to Scotland Yard the following Tuesday. The police could get away with a lot more then than they can to day. As she hadn't been arrested she could in theory have walked out. I guess she was too shocked to react. The man who walked along the line and on reaching Anna nodded to the Inspector, I wondered whether he was just somebody who witnessed Green going under the bus or whether the enemies that Bates made in prison were somehow involved in trying to frame Anna / Bates. Probably the latter is in my imagination. Originally the police had indicated they had a witness (female I think) who had heard a brief exchange between Green and another but hadn't seen the incident.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scoutlet wrote: »
    I don't know how it would work either, but then the financial details of Matthew's investment in the estate were never really explained fully and plenty of other such details have been glossed over on the show. Why all of Robert's money was invested in one business, for example. And the ridiculous Bates trial.

Agree no mention was made of the financial arrangements, how it was to work. Robert insisted he "own" 50% in exchange for Matthew giving the estate the money. I find generally in a lot of dramas they gloss over the minutiae of anything financial.

Perhaps something to do with building those houses? I didn't quite get the point of that whole story except maybe CHANGE. But Allen said something about Tom having to choose whether to leave or stay and work for Sybbie's "birthright". What exactly is her birthright if it doesn't have to do with the family legacy? Tom owns nothing.

During the 1920s they started to build better homes with indoor bathrooms etc. for, a word I loathe "ordinary" people. For the general population. I'm assuming these were houses to be sold rather than rented. In the estates case there was an opportunity to raise funds in exchange for land. Tom indicated it was a good offer. Robert accepts the need for decent housing. He didn't seem to agree on the piece of land or the style of houses shown on the initial plans.

Tom hasn't once talked about Sybbie's "birthright" or anything of the kind this season that I can remember. All he said was that she was "one of them" to Sarah. He might have just used the word very broadly. It is usually defined as an inheritance or status by birth, such as the tittle and estate. More broadly it means "heritage," as in her English (Toff) heritage. But he hasn't talked about that at all either.

Sybbie obviously is not titled. The longer she lives in the abbey the more she will be one of them. Tom hasn't mentioned it apart from to Sarah. He's not really had a reason too mention before she appeared.

I do think Robert being taken ill makes more sense but that line in the trailer was a bit of a giveaway, no? Unless of course no one was meant to see that and when the official trailer is revealed that tidbit will not be in it.

The ITV Downton trailer must be at least two weeks away. It won't be as long as the one from the DVD, which is over 2 minutes in length. The ITV one will be roughly a minute I would think. Before that we should get a general ITV trailer of shows for the Christmas/NY period. That will have short clips of the CS interspersed with clips from other shows. The CS scenes on the DVD were quickly up on Youtube but were pulled the next day.
  • SopheenaSopheena Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Re watching series 5, what does Baxter know about bates and green? She said it was ironic how bates would be valet to gillingham... And how does she know anything? Did she overhear a conversation?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sopheena wrote: »
    Re watching series 5, what does Baxter know about bates and green? She said it was ironic how bates would be valet to gillingham... And how does she know anything? Did she overhear a conversation?!

I thinks he overheard quite a few conversations - starting out when she felt obliged to spy on Thomas's behalf and she realised something was amiss. I can't remember exactly what she heard but she obviously cottoned onto the fact that something had happened to Anna.

I was thinking about Bates and Anna. Whatever happens, this really has to be the end of the road for the characters. They simply can't return to Downton and carry on sewing in buttons and polishing shoes as if nothing's happened.

And the secret about Green's attack is surely out now Anna's been arrested. Mrs Hughes, Baxter and Mary all know Anna did indeed have a motive for killing Green, but everyone else must have been baffled. As far as they were concerned Green was just someone who visited Downton twice. They will surely think Anna must have have had a relationship with Green for her to be involved in any way with his death, or it will come out that Green was a rapist,

Either way, how can Anna simply carry on? Surely they would move away and begin a new life somewhere else?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thinks he overheard quite a few conversations - starting out when she felt obliged to spy on Thomas's behalf and she realised something was amiss. I can't remember exactly what she heard but she obviously cottoned onto the fact that something had happened to Anna.

I was thinking about Bates and Anna. Whatever happens, this really has to be the end of the road for the characters. They simply can't return to Downton and carry on sewing in buttons and polishing shoes as if nothing's happened.

And the secret about Green's attack is surely out now Anna's been arrested. Mrs Hughes, Baxter and Mary all know Anna did indeed have a motive for killing Green, but everyone else must have been baffled. As far as they were concerned Green was just someone who visited Downton twice. They will surely think Anna must have have had a relationship with Green for her to be involved in any way with his death, or it will come out that Green was a rapist,

Either way, how can Anna simply carry on? Surely they would move away and begin a new life somewhere else?

Brendan Coyle is reported as saying he doesn't know/think Bates can survive S6. I've read this over the last few days but without searching can't remember where. I may look later. I agree too much has happened to them and they will need a fresh start. Perhaps the little hotel/pub they've talked about several series back. Financially they probably can do it after they sell his late mother's London house. AlthoughI don't think house prices had inflated back then to the point they have now. LOL
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the little hotel/pub they've talked about several series back. Financially they probably can do it after they sell his late mother's London house. AlthoughI don't think house prices had inflated back then to the point they have now. LOL

Presumably London values were still higher than elsewhere in the country, so they would still have enough money to buy a little B&B or hotel somewhere else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan Coyle is reported as saying he doesn't know/think Bates can survive S6. I've read this over the last few days but without searching can't remember where. I may look later. I agree too much has happened to them and they will need a fresh start. Perhaps the little hotel/pub they've talked about several series back. Financially they probably can do it after they sell his late mother's London house. AlthoughI don't think house prices had inflated back then to the point they have now. LOL

We had quite a discussion on this a few weeks back. Mrs Patmore chose a house in a cheaper area for her retirement purchase and the consensus was that Bates might just get his dream if he settled on Darlington rather than Ripon!

Incidentally, following up on another nearly-off-topic discussion (Brancaster location) - Charlie Luxton's Home By the Sea series on More4 concluded with an episode featuring the Northumberland coast. Some interesting homes - all with astounding views. It's on the catch-up and will no doubt be shown again.

And I can't believe we're nearly at Christmas (in TV terms). Christmas fortnight PI will start to emerge from midweek, though key details may not be confirmed until December 4th when the trailers are likely to start. Happy Christmas!:)
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 1928 my parents bought a house in Romford for £500! Near enough to London to be priced a bit higher than other parts of the country.
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could be on to something there, Could they make Tom a co-owner of Downton to give him a vested interest in the estate? It would mean it is also Sybbie's inheritance.

I'm not sure how it could be done - perhaps Mary could give him half her share. That would mean Robert owns 50% and Mary and Tom own 25% each.

It looks like it could be Matthew Goode, one of the spare men watching the dancing. They really all look very similar though

Whilst I'm no expert in inheritance law, firstly, Sybbie has no claim to the estate whilst George is alive, or if Mary had any more sons, she would slide down the list even further.

Also, I'd very much highly down that 25% of the estate would be "given" away. Firstly what would happen in Tom decided he wanted to sell it (on the assumption that there was nothing in an ownership contract about this)?

What would the taxman have to say about it? Dont think he'd be very happy if you look at the way inheritance tax goes.

Sorry highly unlikely, and highly improbable scenario.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    Whilst I'm no expert in inheritance law, firstly, Sybbie has no claim to the estate whilst George is alive, or if Mary had any more sons, she would slide down the list even further.

I think you need to go back and read what I put more carefully.

Sybbie has no claim on the estate as it stands whether George is alive or dead and she can't "slide down the list" because she's not on the list.

Robert's heir for his half of Downton is George. If George dies without male issue, the title and that half of the estate goes to the nearest male Crawley relation - if there is one. (Violet joked in series 2 that it might well be a chimney sweep from Solihull!) If there isn't an heir, it reverts to the Crown.

Mary's half of the estate is not entailed. She is most likely to leave it to George but in the event of his death without an heir she would be highly unlikely to leave her half to the unknown Crawley as mentioned above. She would, however, be able to nominate an heir (as Robert cannot).
    Also, I'd very much highly down that 25% of the estate would be "given" away. Firstly what would happen in Tom decided he wanted to sell it (on the assumption that there was nothing in an ownership contract about this)? .

The same scenario could have arisen had Matthew decided to sell. Matthew was only heir presumptive not heir apparent and could have been excluded had Robert had a son. George may yet be excluded for the same reason.

The scenario of part of the estate falling out of core ownership is what the entail was meant to prevent. So Tom owning a share doesn't bring any new risks that Matthew owning a share didn't.
    What would the taxman have to say about it? Dont think he'd be very happy if you look at the way inheritance tax goes.

I would have thought the taxman might have had something to say about Matthew gaining half the estate in 1920. If Matthew had outlived Robert, as expected, that little manoeuvre would have saved 50% on the death duties.

Of course, if Matthew had just handed his Swire inheritanceover to Robert and not accepted a 50% share in Downton in return, there wouldn't have been any death duties until Robert pops his clogs. Another not very slick financial move from Robert, as it turns out!
    Sorry highly unlikely, and highly improbable scenario.
    Probably, but not for the reasons you've outlined. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the blurb for the DVD of the Christmas Special:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/downton-abbey-a-moorland-holiday/11042552.html

Nothing unexpected really.
  • VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just seen the last episode, and I think it may have been edited. I thought Rose's wedding dress was the cream coloured one shown in a link here. But what she wore was a two piece blue and white skirt and jacket. And white flowers.

Am I missing something here?
    After the blue one, she put on a cream dress, but not the wedding dress. It was at a dinner party or gathering of some kind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the blurb for the DVD of the Christmas Special:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/downton-abbey-a-moorland-holiday/11042552.html

Nothing unexpected really.

Well that means Tom is leaving. There is no one else it could be.

So all this talk about Allen hoping Tom's future is at Downton, it's his home now, yada yada, he hoped to find love and the family had to accept her (and she them) was misleading.

And then like a hundred of his fans tweeted him that if he left it would "ruin Christmas" and then just a few days ago he said the CS wouldn't ruin Christmas? Rob said the same thing. How is that possible?

OK, whatever. It's one thing to be vague and another to do that. I hope it isn't him. Or that if he leaves it will be with the understanding that he's coming back at some point. IDK, maybe he leaves Sybbie there until he can get settled and that's the heartbreaking farewell.

Anyway......if he leaves after they killed Sybil to keep him? And him hanging around feeling out of place, getting sexually assaulted by a maid and then stalked by a horrid woman for eight episodes? Without finding love again? JFC, what a total cheat and pointless waste.

I know you'll disagree LoS because you think the Sybil Death episode was amazing but let's just agree to disagree on that. However good it might have been it was in no way IMO worth losing her, destroying Tom's life only to have him leave after two seasons without any really happy storyline.

I won't be watching either the CS or any more of this show if they do that. Not even for Edith. I am tired of having the rug pulled out from under me and being betrayed.

If someone says farewell, I would rather it be someone who has some kind of closure so that it can end on a truly happy note. Like Daisy, IDK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Versailles wrote: »
    I have just seen the last episode, and I think it may have been edited. I thought Rose's wedding dress was the cream coloured one shown in a link here. But what she wore was a two piece blue and white skirt and jacket. And white flowers.

Am I missing something here?
    After the blue one, she put on a cream dress, but not the wedding dress. It was at a dinner party or gathering of some kind.

She wore the blue suit for the actual marriage - a civil ceremony at a register office.

She then wore the long cream gown for the blessing at the Savoy Chapel (not shown) and the reception we saw at Grantham House. Two events, two dresses (in fact, everyone changed into a different style of clothes for the afternoon).

It was indeed the dress we saw in Radio Times magazine, which it has been confirmed was an original wedding dress from just before the First World War. It was never worn and was bought by a vintage bridal shop at a sale at Hampton Court Palace.

I'd like to have seen a bit more of it but the costumes only ever really have a supporting role!