'The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies' -ITV drama about Joanna Yeates

Comments

• Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    Can't wait to watch it then :)

i remember the press outside his house at the time, i must admit i was guilty of wondering if he was involved :blush:

I didn't, I assumed he was gay so unlikely to have murdered a young woman.

*polishes halo*

:p
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    i wouldn't blame the cops too much, it was the media who stitched him up

strange guy all the same, was he suggesting he was asexual when questioned?

Not sure how much information they had to arrest him. Just get the feeling that it was because he was a bit of an odd ball. Im not knocking the police per se, my daughters a Police Officer. I just think they had very flimsy reasons for taking him in for questioning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Brilliantly made...

Watching it gave me the overwhelming need to give Christopher a huge hug. Poor man....
  • Options
    daisysnowlanddaisysnowland Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it weird how we judge on appearances? I remember this on the news at the time and thought Christopher Jefferies must have done it as he seemed such an "oddball". Maybe we shouldn't have been so quick to judge, and he certainly shouldn't have been so publicly arrested, without any evidence and without being charged. Good drama but think the lead is over-egging it a little.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a very good and comprehensive article in this week's Radio Times.

As everyone has been saying it was a brilliant piece of drama. Jason Watkins does deserve all the plaudits.
  • Options
    xfactorisgr8xfactorisgr8 Posts: 20,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracking programme bought tears to my eyes.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it weird how we judge on appearances? I remember this on the news at the time and thought Christopher Jefferies must have done it as he seemed such an "oddball". Maybe we shouldn't have been so quick to judge, and he certainly shouldn't have been so publicly arrested, without any evidence and without being charged. Good drama but think the lead is over-egging it a little.

It just goes to show how gullible we are to be sucked in by what we read in the papers. Poor chap was vilified and I was guilty of thinking that he did it. Hangs head in shame.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    Ive recorded it,, is it any good?

Yes, but the sponsors stings totally inappropriate.
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor's "Mike Yarwood " mannerisms were annoying, the indignant pout and finger twisting,otherwise good drama.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    What made the police think he had done it.
    It was all very odd. They didn't appear to have anything at all to go on.
    Poor man, if this show is true to the story then I blame the police as much as the media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we know if this drama had Jeffries' blessing?
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. He met the writers and Jason Watkins before filming began.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cracking programme bought tears to my eyes.

It was strangely emotional wasn't it? A mixture of sadness, incredulity, and distaste. And when the lawyer challenged the police near the end, I was pretty much cheering.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    drillbit wrote: »
    i wouldn't blame the cops too much, it was the media who stitched him up

strange guy all the same, was he suggesting he was asexual when questioned?

Didn't the police tip off the media though?
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm watching on catch up and found this Daisy

This is so good.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »

Oo that's interesting. I'm watching on +1 as had to watch Apprentice!
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also watched it on +1 and thought it was very good. Jason was brilliant in the role.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Yes, the thread on here at time became ridiculous with the DS detective squad putting the finger on several people and coming up with stupid theories.

Thats when they got nicknamed the pizza police
  • Options
    tawetawe Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the poor man has an undiagnosed form of Asperger's .

Looking forward to tomorrows episode but so sad for the poor guy who has had such a bad time just because he looked and acted `different ` to the norm and was totally innocent .
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    Not sure how much information they had to arrest him. Just get the feeling that it was because he was a bit of an odd ball. Im not knocking the police per se, my daughters a Police Officer. I just think they had very flimsy reasons for taking him in for questioning.

Police were under massive pressure due to media. It was relentless at a slow news time of year. Media have been obsessed with locals talking to them since Soham. Police took him in on little evidence but if media had said nothing it would have come and gone. The issue here was the media frenzy and the libellous stuff they printed. The media was so bad that he could never have had a fair trial.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tawe wrote: »
    I think the poor man has an undiagnosed form of Asperger's .

Looking forward to tomorrows episode but so sad for the poor guy who has had such a bad time just because he looked and acted `different ` to the norm and was totally innocent .

Maybe he just marches to the beat of his own drum?
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Police were under massive pressure due to media. It was relentless at a slow news time of year. Media have been obsessed with locals talking to them since Soham. Police took him in on little evidence but if media had said nothing it would have come and gone. The issue here was the media frenzy and the libellous stuff they printed. The media was so bad that he could never have had a fair trial.

Probably something in that. It's speculation, but the media are incredibly powerful and we know from Hackgate that even the Met appeared to be heavily influenced by them. How much worse must it have been for the provincial police forces. Even so, even so, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, what on earth were they thinking, really, when they made the arrest? They apparently didn't have anything at all to pin on him.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »

I don't think media pressure is any kind of excuse or explanation.
    Looks like the Old Bill pulled him in based on buggerall, then went on a fishing expedition with no bait.
    I'd have said buggerall, it would have been 'no comment'
  • Options
    Arnold1Arnold1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very good but i've got a sneaky suspicion the real lawyer was white and not black. If he was white as i suspect then isn't itv racist by portraying him as black? I prefer itv not to push their multi culti agenda by lying to us.
This discussion has been closed.