The Boy in the Dress

Comments

• WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bag of shite

Still pushing for that Critic of the Year award?
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt very much that there are thousands of camp schoolboys up and down the land desperate to turn up at school in dress.

Only in David Walliams befuddled mind maybe, the Leftie Gay Elite at the BBC have excelled themselves commissioning this turgid hogwash.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was great, especially the appearance of Walliams himself.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    It wasn't bad and, importantly, didn't go on too long.

PC obviously, but so is a large part of TV output.

There seem to be a lot of people not enjoying stuff on these threads.
  • JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    So you're equating cross-dressing with rape. Who are you, Vladimir Putin ?
    No and no.
    The story would have been just as "heartwarming" if they'd worn dresses in the second half and been beaten 12-0, but he didn't write that, did he?
    They won, so everyone that mocked him was suddenly tolerant. Just like in real life :-)
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed that although it did seem to me just a rewrite of Billy Elliot
  • Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    No and no.
    The story would have been just as "heartwarming" if they'd worn dresses in the second half and been beaten 12-0, but he didn't write that, did he?
    They won, so everyone that mocked him was suddenly tolerant. Just like in real life :-)

I understand. In your little world, a drama can't be enjoyed unless you think it could happen in real life.
  • Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    He must be the least convincing "straight" celeb in history :)

Hasn't he previously admitted to playing for both teams?
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A harmless bit of Boxing Day fluff....... not sure why so many on here are getting their knickers in a twist over it.

Oh, and it's Ched Evans, by the way. ;-)
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed that although it did seem to me just a rewrite of Billy Elliot
    I came to this thought too. I had initially thought this would be a story about a boy knowing from an early age that he wanted to follow a career that may be deemed by others for being more for women (i.e fashion), but being written by David Walliams, I should I have known better!
    kernow19 wrote: »
    A harmless bit of Boxing Day fluff....... not sure why so many on here are getting their knickers in a twist over it.

BIB. Admittedly it seemed more suited to one of the children's channels but it was an okay time-passer if anything.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Not ashamed to admit I really enjoyed this, nice feelgood family show with the right balance of humour and sensitivity. Just the sort of show I think is good to have on at Christmas, certainly makes a change from old films and soaps filled with depressing storylines about rapes and murders!
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    the Leftie Gay Elite at the BBC have excelled themselves commissioning this turgid hogwash.

there had to be at least one 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'-type goaded into action by this harmless fluff.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We actually enjoyed this...an hour was just right. It had humour and lots of sensitivity..
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Randysback wrote: »
    And so PC.. all we need now is a Chinese transsexual in a wheelchair and they`ve just about covered the lot.

I saw five minutes of it before turning off. The very worst example of the BBC prancing about on its liberal soapbox. Almost enough to make me want to abolish the licence fee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems a lot of people are scared of males in frocks.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »

Actually Id probably agree. It pretty much wasn't doing much more than protesting against school uniform imo with a pantomime football game at the end.
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Seems a lot of people are scared of males in frocks.

Scared has nothing to do with it. More bemusement at how something so utterly irrelevant to the everyday experience of most people could be made into a box-ticking exercise by the BBC and shoved on its main channel on Boxing Day evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scared has nothing to do with it. More bemusement at how something so utterly irrelevant to the everyday experience of most people could be made into a box-ticking exercise by the BBC and shoved on its main channel on Boxing Day evening.

I would imagine that a lot of people enjoyed the bit of fun on offer, it certainly went down here as we chomped on nibbles and chatted, I don't see what was so wrong about it... unlike the Who offering last night, which we had to turn off.
  • AngelDollAngelDoll Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I saw five minutes of it before turning off. The very worst example of the BBC prancing about on its liberal soapbox. Almost enough to make me want to abolish the licence fee.

Pathetic. How can you say that based on 5 minutes. You probably watched it all.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell, there's some miserable gits on DS, don't know why I continue to come here. For what it's worth, myself and my family loved this. It was a hour's worth of light-hearted fun.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We liked it too. Just the thing for Boxing Day teatime viewing. Fun and endearing.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    I like the Lisa character

Yes. She was accepting because... Well, why not?

I liked the uncomfy questions posed by the film. Quite clever. Let down by poor acting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, there's some miserable gits on DS, don't know why I continue to come here. For what it's worth, myself and my family loved this. It was a hour's worth of light-hearted fun.

I've said it before... it's trendy to hate everything.
    Forum Member
    AngelDoll wrote: »
    Pathetic. How can you say that based on 5 minutes. You probably watched it all.

No, it was five minutes. I'd just finished watching the lovely 'Puss in Boots' I'd recorded from Christmas Day and when I turned the recording off the channel was set to BBC1.

I knew what it was as I'd read about it, and saw Walliams as a referee at a football match with a load of male children in dresses (which sort of gave it away).

I saw from the end of the game until someone came over and told the kid that he couldn't keep the trophy as he was no longer a pupil at the school, then I turned it off. I did wonder who on earth was going to be watching it though. It'll be interesting to see what the ratings are.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was quite a bit of subtext to the headteacher's feelings on cross-dressing. You'd know, Kap, if you had watched.