Options

Are most people REALLY bothered about HD?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I find myself having a constant battle with my family to watch the HD channels we are paying for! I live with my sister and dad. My dad is 65 and doesn't really seem to care. Constantly find him watching Sky Sports 1 SD. My sister is young but just 'doesn't care' and just wants to watch TV. She will constantly record things in SD and turn to the standard def movie channels.

The more I think about it, I think they are in the norm. I think the vast majority of people just want to watch TV. They don't care if something is in HD or not and can't really tell the difference. I'm guessing many of you have similar experiences with their family?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family dont care and im with them now, i watch the odd thing in HD now, so away it goes.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    We have cable and don't have any HD channels but even though we got a new telly none of us are bothered about watching anything in HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the mass market interested in quality over any other consideration, no that's why it's the mass market, price and convenience are the fundamental truths:)
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have HD but never watch it, as we never watch live TV but always watch on Sky+. HD recordings take up too much space.

If we watched live TV I would watch HD if I remembered, but to be honest I don't notice much difference when I do.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Apart from the footy on ITV I can live with SD for most programmes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that I am not bothered one way or the other.................however....for ONLY £10 a month it isn't worth cancelling.
  • Options
    StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a minor difference if you happen to be watching on a very large screen, but otherwise I don't think people can actually notice.

I certainly wouldn't pay £10/month to watch something in HD. I record programmes from some of the free HD channels, but if I started to run out of space I would happily swap back to the SD version.

I avoid anything on ITV1 HD because:
    • The picture quality is no better
    • That enormous DOG irritates me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to put my own point of view on it. I always watch programs in HD. I can tell the difference and want to get the most out of the TV I paid good money for. My girlfriend is the same as my sisters. She only remembers to put the HD channels on to shut me up, and because she's generally a bit more into technology than the rest of my family. If she lived on her own there's no way she'd pay for it.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a minor difference if you happen to be watching on a very large screen, but otherwise I don't think people can actually notice.

I certainly wouldn't pay £10/month to watch something in HD. I record programmes from some of the free HD channels, but if I started to run out of space I would happily swap back to the SD version.

I avoid anything on ITV1 HD because:
    • The picture quality is no better
    • That enormous DOG irritates me

There must something wrong with your setup if you can only see a minor difference.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    I will always watch an HD channel if it is available but don't deliberately choose HD if there is something I want to watch on an SD only channel. Despite the "I won't go to Specsavers brigade" there is a vast difference even on an upscaled programme because SD broadcasters have allowed their quality to deteriorate.
    When I watch some shows on German PSB channels in SD I realise that SD could be so much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    I care about HD. I only have a modest size TV (37") and can clearly tell the difference. I only watch HD prpgramming.

If a programme I want to see is not on an HD channel I wait for the Blu-Ray to come out and rent it.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch HD but the rest of the family are not at all bothered and see no diference. I do.

I suppose it depends if you're into all that like I am.
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the vast majority of parents in there mid 50s or 60s couldnt care less, ive had SkyHD since the start got my parents an HD Box last week because the Sky+ packed in again i show them the difference between SD and HD and whilst my dad noticed it my mother didnt. HD is marketed at a younger Audiance what with Bluray and 3D Gaming now. And to experience True HD you have to get Bluray SkyHD is very good too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Part of the problem is the fact the HD channels when they were swtiched on did not automatically replace the SD channels for HD subscribers.

Sky is planning on moving these numbers around next year (apparently you can opt-out of this)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most folks dont give a hoot about HD. How many times to you go round to someones house and the aspect ratio is all screwed up? Anyone who cant even get the A/R right isnt going to be over bothered with hidef.

Our telly is still cross wired with rf aerial cables - nothing wrong at all with the pic quality as far as Im concerned. I was in a pub the other afternoon that was showing the football on ESPN HD. First time Ive really had a chance to have a good look at a football game in HD - and to be blunt I wasnt particularly impressed - there certainly wasnt the "wow thats a fabulous picture" feeling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most folks dont give a hoot about HD. How many times to you go round to someones house and the aspect ratio is all screwed up? Anyone who cant even get the A/R right isnt going to be over bothered with hidef.

Our telly is still cross wired with rf aerial cables - nothing wrong at all with the pic quality as far as Im concerned. I was in a pub the other afternoon that was showing the football on ESPN HD. First time Ive really had a chance to have a good look at a football game in HD - and to be blunt I wasnt particularly impressed - there certainly wasnt the "wow thats a fabulous picture" feeling

People who have HD want HD i guess. I know what you mean on the aspect ratio's. I've been round several peoples houses and said... btw, can I just change something on your sky box? And sorted the wide screen format out for them. I've seen brand new installations of SD not be setup for widescreen as well which is really poor practise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    We watch HD where it's available. We always watch Sport in HD and would not watch in SD. However my wife will/does inadvertently select SD for live programmes but I always record in HD if available.

I fully support a previous comment that SDTV in the UK never fully utilised the quality inherent in that format. Some FIVE programmes shot in HD but shown in SD at a high bit rate were better than the BBC's effort at HD.

It's a pity PSB has opted for the quasi-HD standard it now uses. Proper full HD is on Sky, especially Sport.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that I am not bothered one way or the other.................however....for ONLY £10 a month it isn't worth cancelling.

If you're seriously not bothered about giving away £120 a year, why not cancel and give it to a charity?

Personally I can see the difference and would prefer HD, but don't think it's worth £10 p/m. I think most folk could see the difference if you flip between SD and HD but many wouldn't be notice during normal viewing.

Of course, a lot depends on the size of your TV and how close you are to it.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    Unless you have a large TV, or sit unusually close to a medium-sized one, your eyes won't be physically able to see any difference with HD anyway.

I'd say that most people care more about the entertainment quality of the programmes than about the absolute picture quality. As long as there are no crackles on the sound, or signs of artifacts on the screen, most people don't care. You quickly get lost in the drama if it's a good programme. How often have you watched a good classic black & white film, and when you think about it afterwards you can't even remember if it was in colour or not?

My Dad used to put his (widescreen) TV onto analogue BBC1, and would watch a good but squashed picture quite happily. If I suggested going to the Freeview box for a true 16:9 picture he would do so, and agree that it was maybe a bit better, but next time he turned the TV on he'd just go back to hitting "1" for BBC. It was easier to push one button than 2. HD's the same for most people, they zap around channels until they find something that catches their interest, and they stay there. Pure luck if they hit the SD or HD channel first.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I find myself having a constant battle with my family to watch the HD channels we are paying for! I live with my sister and dad. My dad is 65 and doesn't really seem to care. Constantly find him watching Sky Sports 1 SD. My sister is young but just 'doesn't care' and just wants to watch TV. She will constantly record things in SD and turn to the standard def movie channels.

The more I think about it, I think they are in the norm. I think the vast majority of people just want to watch TV. They don't care if something is in HD or not and can't really tell the difference. I'm guessing many of you have similar experiences with their family?

That's my experience too - and it's not only people in their 50s and 60s as one poster has suggested, my daughter and her husband who are in their mid twenties and their kids don't care either, not even when I switch their SD programme to the HD channel for them. Next time I visit, it's on the SD channel again.

As I've said many times on here, from where most people sit, watching their 42 inch or smaller HD screens, there really isn't enough difference in quality to grab them, and most people aint gonna cozy up to a 42 inch screen at 5 feet. As if they'd even care if they did (I've seen 'em watching SD TV from a gaming chair next to the HD TV, 3 feet away! :eek: )

It's like high end hi-fi music systems, most people don't care about the higher quality and never will.
  • Options
    deeseedeesee Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    i think the vast majority of parents in there mid 50s or 60s couldnt care less, ive had SkyHD since the start got my parents an HD Box last week because the Sky+ packed in again i show them the difference between SD and HD and whilst my dad noticed it my mother didnt. HD is marketed at a younger Audiance what with Bluray and 3D Gaming now. And to experience True HD you have to get Bluray SkyHD is very good too.

I think, you think wrongly, i am 75yrs old and have 3D, blueRay, and a very expensive home cinema system, i watch and record everything in h/d that i can, but i also have the time to watch all my recordings, so my 500gig drive never gets full.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deesee wrote: »
    I think, you think wrongly, i am 75yrs old and have 3D, blueRay, and a very expensive home cinema system, i watch and record everything in h/d that i can, but i also have the time to watch all my recordings, so my 500gig drive never gets full.

Fair play to you. I don't know very many 75 year olds who are so tech savvy!
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

£10 a month is a lot of money to some people, don't be so bombastic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if one of the shows i normally watch is in HD, i will watch it in HD......
  • Options
    technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »

Sky are soon switching the HD channel numbers to be where the SD versions currently are. So soon your family will nearly always be watching the HD versions.