Get mad or get even?

RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
Forum Member
I swore I would not fall out with my brother over selling my Mum's house but.....

We have discussed what to do about most things, not always agreed, but I gave in on some things and he gave in on others.
Now he has brought his wife in to help with the clearing and decorating and suddenly things are disappearing. Two large boxes of stuff I had packed up (but not sorted) disappeared last week. This week two cupboards full of Mum's linen (which I also hadn't looked at) have gone.This is after she said to me 'I'm not looking at clearing cupboards yet' - yes. she's the sort that takes charge.

Should I confront or just pack up everything I can and take it away?

Comments

• MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make an written inventory, including what you can remember of the missing items. Take photos.

Once you've got a record you are in a position to negotiate at any time. Ultimately, I guess your legal position depends on the will.
  • RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    The inventory would have been a good thing to do at the outset.
    However it's my belief (though I don't know) that the items have been taken to the dump as being worthless. In this case I have no chance of reclaiming them. I can only stop anything else from going missing.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Have you asked them where the boxes have gone? That would be the first step.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Tell her to stop! Your mum, your decision, not hers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    if she's chucking things away, she's probably under the impression that she's helping you out.

i'd try and set some ground rules and advise that you'd like to go through everything and sort it before a decision is made whether to keep it or not.

as it's your relative, I doubt she'll have an issue with this!

good luck

dsns
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Rhonda wrote: »
    I swore I would not fall out with my brother over selling my Mum's house but.....

We have discussed what to do about most things, not always agreed, but I gave in on some things and he gave in on others.
    Now he has brought his wife in to help with the clearing and decorating and suddenly things are disappearing. Two large boxes of stuff I had packed up (but not sorted) disappeared last week. This week two cupboards full of Mum's linen (which I also hadn't looked at) have gone.This is after she said to me 'I'm not looking at clearing cupboards yet' - yes. she's the sort that takes charge.

Should I confront or just pack up everything I can and take it away?

You're worried about old linen?

Look, you are her daughter...

You know what in the house has true value both sentimental and actual - so identify those bits first.

Things might be a bit raw at the moment, but remind yourself do you really want a loft or garage stuffed with old bedsheets and towels - or items that are "done"? In a couple of years time you'll be wishing you'd taken it to the tip.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd kick up a huge fuss. She's your mother, not hers. You should be able to go through everything and decide whether to throw it away or not.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will end up getting people in to clear stuff, and maybe having to pay them to do it.

Just have a chat to your brother and his wife, so that you can pick out whatever you want to keep. There isnt a rush to sort all this out, is there?
    Forum Member
    Brother is in a huge hurry to sell now. We have waited until the market was a bit better, as when Mum died it was very poor. I had the job of clearing all the big stuff last year without any help from him. In fairness to my sister-in-law, she may have asked him what to do and he may have said bin it all. I don't know- right now I don't trust myself to speak to him.
    Old linen? yes I suppose that's all it is to an outsider, certainly to my sister-in-law, who is a great declutterer. But there would have been stuff in there I wanted to keep- vintage stuff and sentimental stuff, and I should have had the choice.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Brother is in a huge hurry to sell now. We have waited until the market was a bit better, as when Mum died it was very poor. I had the job of clearing all the big stuff last year without any help from him. In fairness to my sister-in-law, she may have asked him what to do and he may have said bin it all. I don't know- right now I don't trust myself to speak to him.
    Old linen? yes I suppose that's all it is to an outsider, certainly to my sister-in-law, who is a great declutterer. But there would have been stuff in there I wanted to keep- vintage stuff and sentimental stuff, and I should have had the choice.

So we are in June now and you have been sorting stuff since last year I imagine they are now cracking on with it to get ready to sell you can't blame them you have had a good while to go through things yourself if you wanted to by the sounds of it and that thread title doesn't make you sound pleasant when by the looks of it they are just trying to get the job done
    Forum Member

Can you speak to her about it if you can't speak to your brother? Perhaps you can suggest that if they have gone through stuff, they put it to one side (maybe choose a room in the house) so you can check it before it goes out?

Selling asap is a good idea before the market changes so I can see why your brother might want to get this sorted. It may be he wants to move on (perhaps you don't feel as ready as him though?). I don't mean move on from your mum, but move on from her passing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    So we are in June now and you have been sorting stuff since last year I imagine they are now cracking on with it to get ready to sell you can't blame them you have had a good while to go through things yourself if you wanted to by the sounds of it and that thread title doesn't make you sound pleasant when by the looks of it they are just trying to get the job done

Its a hard thing to do, i imagine, going through your mums stuff. I think after 6 months you have to start paying council tax, dont you, so i expect your brother will want to make some progress. I am sure none of this was intended to upset you. Hence the comment about the thread title by TWS. have you got any keepsakes yet? What sbout her rings and things? I assume when the house is sold you will get your inheritance. You could use some of that to buy something to remember her by, or even by something for her church, say, if that would be appropriate.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's trying to help you and you've had plenty of time to take anything you wanted. Just go in and take what you want now, I can't see why you wouldn't?
    Forum Member
    Brother didn't want to sell until about a month ago, and the stuff I got rid of last year was with his consent. I would not have taken anything out of there without consulting him first and I expected him to show me the same courtesy. I popped in the day they were there and we talked about certain items. My sister-in-law specifically said 'we aren't clearing the cupboards until the rooms are all cleared and we can go through it ' . There is still plenty of decorating to do, so why they did this I do not know.
    I wonder how they will feel if I empty the remaining cupboards without a word?
    Will they think I am just getting on with the job?
    If wanting an equal say in what happens to my Mum's stuff makes me a bad person
    I think I can live with that.
    Forum Member
    If you want to clear the rest without talking to them you can of course do that, but that won't really resolve the problem here and will just get your brothers back up as well as yours. Please try and talk to them, just explain you wanted to have a look through the boxes that you'd packaged up as you hadn't yet done so. They may have thought you had, hence they were packed up.

Try and stay on at least civil, if not on good terms and don't let it descend into a fallout when it doesn't need to. You've got to get through the sale with estate agents yet and all that malarkey.
    Forum Member
    Brother didn't want to sell until about a month ago, and the stuff I got rid of last year was with his consent. I would not have taken anything out of there without consulting him first and I expected him to show me the same courtesy. I popped in the day they were there and we talked about certain items. My sister-in-law specifically said 'we aren't clearing the cupboards until the rooms are all cleared and we can go through it ' . There is still plenty of decorating to do, so why they did this I do not know.
    I wonder how they will feel if I empty the remaining cupboards without a word?
    Will they think I am just getting on with the job?
    If wanting an equal say in what happens to my Mum's stuff makes me a bad person
    I think I can live with that.

I don't think you sound like a bad person but you are coming across as petulant as evidenced by your thread title you could just be a grown up and communicate with them. Perhaps at the time your SIL didn't have any intention of doing it but the jobs got done quicker than she thought and got ahead of herself. If you think they are being malicious again best speak to them about it or if you do t want to go In and take everything I doubt they will care as they clearly want the place cleaned out
  • FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need it get mad or even - you do need to talk to each other though, it may just be a misunderstanding of who is doing what and good intention going wrong.

On the sorting front come to an agreement that everything gets sorted into boxes and each box is clearly marked with a list of contents the other party then check against it.

Your boxes can have to keep to sort or to go on them that way everyone knows where you are with the sorting. if there are some things you really want say now don't bottle it up just say you would like to keep that item for whatever reason, your brother may have some items in mind that he wants as well.

Please don't fall out with them over these things I know you are hurting right now but I have seen a families fall out over such thing, treasure your Mothers memories and speak to your brother and sister in law, hope you can find a good compromise, wishing you all the best.
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    She's trying to help you and you've had plenty of time to take anything you wanted. Just go in and take what you want now, I can't see why you wouldn't?

I doubt that! She will inherit my brother's estate if he pops his clogs before her so I think it more likely she is trying to help herself! If I wanted to help someone I would be asking them 'What can I do to help?' not just doing what I thought.
    As for being petulant -well more like absolutely steaming mad would be closer to the truth. But it's heartening to see that some people on here would feel the same.
    In the end I emptied the cupboards, threw out the junk, took what was mine and showed them what I had done, with instructions to take what they wanted and leave the rest to me, and that has worked. They have told me what they are doing as far as doing the place up goes. Very nice of them, but I might be doing a few things myself.
    I just hope we can get through the sale alright. In answer to one poster, it wouldn't really matter if we fell out forever as we look at life very differently and the only time he has spoken to me for as long as I can remember is when there was an issue with Mum. Now she is gone I don't expect to see him after the house is sold.
    Forum Member
    that's so funny so her master plan is to wait for her husband to die so she can have a few of your mums linens, gosh she dreams small. Unless your mum was Imelda Marcos and your SIL had a shoe fetish
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can not be bothered to go into the fullness of what happened when our last parent died.
    Lets just say that two of us no longer will have anything to do with the other one.
    She stole loads and when we had a chat to her about it all, it turned nasty.
    I now would advise anyone to try and nip anything in the bud for the sake of family relationships, easier said than done though.
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    that's so funny so her master plan is to wait for her husband to die so she can have a few of your mums linens, gosh she dreams small. Unless your mum was Imelda Marcos and your SIL had a shoe fetish

Lol!
    It's in her interest in the long run to 'get the job done' irrespective of linens or shoes!
    I never thought she was after my Mum's stuff.
    My real issue is not that I might be missing out on something material, but rather that something which was my place to do had been hijacked by someone who was no blood relation to my Mum, and who really, judging by the comments she made recently on Mum's taste in decor, had no regard for her. It's plain disrespectful to me and to Mum's memory for her to be taking charge this way, although I concede my brother is no doubt complicit.
    I can imagine all this would not make sense to the more pragmatic person, but I make no apology for having some sense of right and wrong.
    One thing, though. I am now aware that I need to ditch as much of my stuff as I can over the next few years so that my children don't have to go through this when I shuffle off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't want to worry about it.

don't blame yourself for not wanting to get to grips with clearing your mums stuff. I know people leave their husband's/wife's stuff for years. But as your mum has a house that needs sorting, it has to be done, and probably your sil can do it without welling up during the process.

the only things that might really matter are her rings maybe, and hopefully you have sorted those fairly

sell the house, and buy yourself something with some of the money to really remember your mum by.
    Forum Member
    Lol!
    It's in her interest in the long run to 'get the job done' irrespective of linens or shoes!
    I never thought she was after my Mum's stuff.
    My real issue is not that I might be missing out on something material, but rather that something which was my place to do had been hijacked by someone who was no blood relation to my Mum, and who really, judging by the comments she made recently on Mum's taste in decor, had no regard for her. It's plain disrespectful to me and to Mum's memory for her to be taking charge this way, although I concede my brother is no doubt complicit.
    I can imagine all this would not make sense to the more pragmatic person, but I make no apology for having some sense of right and wrong.
    One thing, though. I am now aware that I need to ditch as much of my stuff as I can over the next few years so that my children don't have to go through this when I shuffle off.

Perhaps just raise your kids better so they understand what's actually important and its not material things. My brother can have everything he could possible want when my mum passes as all I will want is her back and as I cant have that everything else is irrelevant. It amazes me how many families fall out and squabble over meagre belongings I see it all the time. We always quite the line "where there's a will there's a relative" as they all come out of the woodwork when you work in a care home looking to pick over the offerings like vultures
    Forum Member
    My mum fell out with her brother over their mums will as he took everything being executor and screwed everyone over, he dropped down dead of a heart attack at 50 having never made up with him it is her biggest regret.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time now to crack on and get the job done; ifI were you I'd mention that you would like to double check whatever they are clearing out, just in case there's something there you would like, but from last june to now is a year so I can understand them wanting to get on with it now. It could also be difficult for your brother having to do this as well?
    Once the house is cleared it can be sold, amd you can go your seperate ways- if you inherit some of the house money from your Mum, put it into your own house some way-new kitchen or bathroom of something, then you can say "thanks Mum" and she's helped you once again