Options

Universal Job Match Settings

dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can someone tell me if its Mandatory for the Jobcentre to check what Jobs you have applied for as i have been told its not. They knew my email address and thats it because they send me email alerts and i have a Universal Job Match account. The Advisor today asked me why i hadnt given permission for them to access my account. I already apply for jobs and the ones i do apply for i print out as i have just got a printer. Am i in my right to not allow them access.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    It's completely up to you. They should have told you it was your choice, that's what they told me anyways, which is why they have the private option.

I ended up giving them permission as they pestered me every time I went in about it and told me it would make my job search proof easier (easier for them more like) but if you are printing your job search off I don.t see the problem anyways.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if it was mandatory your advisor would've told you so.

Obviously they want you to sign up to Universal Job Match and give them permission to view your account so they can also send you vacancies that they think are suitable, it you did agree it would get them off your back I suppose.

If they keep a check of what you're doing on Universal Job Match it's not really a true indication of what jobs you're applying for as you could be using other website and other methods.

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/universal-jobmatch-and-giving-job-centre-permission-to-view-account.321829/

A couple of years old but informative.
    http://www.channel4.com/news/universal-jobmatch-the-key-questions
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should just save the jobs you've applied for on the UJ system
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    you should just save the jobs you've applied for on the UJ system

As well as any job applications, I also list interviews had, job site and Linkedin profile updates, CV and cover letter updates, any contact from recruiters - in fact anything job search related regardless - on UJ it goes under the Activity History. It seems to keep the buggers happy and to be honest it is not exactly asking a lot. As someone has already stated I do not see what the problem is by giving them permission. Why make life more difficult for yourself?

On a side note if I apply for any jobs actually from UJ I can never get the details to appear in the Application History section. Anyone else have the same issue? It is the only thing my Coach/Advisor picks me up on. I just tell her to check my Activity History so she can see the efforts I have actually made.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    As well as any job applications, I also list interviews had, job site and Linkedin profile updates, CV and cover letter updates, any contact from recruiters - in fact anything job search related regardless - on UJ it goes under the Activity History. It seems to keep the buggers happy and to be honest it is not exactly asking a lot. As someone has already stated I do not see what the problem is by giving them permission. Why make life more difficult for yourself?

On a side note if I apply for any jobs actually from UJ I can never get the details to appear in the Application History section. Anyone else have the same issue? It is the only thing my Coach/Advisor picks me up on. I just tell her to check my Activity History so she can see the efforts I have actually made.

agree with top bit. Surely its easier to fill in the activity history rather than using your printer and ink to print it off every two weeks? I don't see the issue.

also, to your second bit, i found that most jobs on uj would redirect me to another website to apply, rather than applying using the cover letter and cv i uploaded to uj. It is a pain because you then have to go back to activity history to fill it in manually. I think i applied for near 50 jobs in the short time i was on it, and only 4 went through uj and appeared on my app history.
  • Options
    Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should prove to them online how you are job seeking. I tried on paper, and they didn't believe me.

They do check the employer to see if you have applied for the job you said (believe me, my advisor did). Luckily I had, but it had put the employer off taking me on.

Your advisor at the Job Centre will look for any excuse to stop your JSA.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that UJM was a complete waste of time.

I prefer indeed.co.uk

I just write down the jobs that I've applied for on the diary sheet.
  • Options
    OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently according to my advisor you are only allowed to do the diary on UJ. However, the last few months I have been getting round this by saying that my internet is having issues and am relying on using library computers. They will now only accept a handwritten diary from me, not a printed one.