Have you experienced great customer service?

planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
Forum Member
Last year i bought a Velbon tripod, it's been a great tripod: very solid, versatile and easy to use. This week the quick release lever broke, i looked around online to see if i could get a replacement but it looked like i was going to have to buy a whole new panhead which would have cost a substantial amount. On the off chance i rang Velbon to see if i could buy a replacement lever directly from them, the man i spoke to gave me an email address and told me to send him my name address and name of the model tripod and behold this morning i received a new quick release lever FOR FREE. There was no fuss, i didn't have to provide proof of purchase. This is quite possibly the best customer service i have experienced for ages, especially for a product i bought over a year ago.

So have any other people experienced really good customer service especially some time after the initial purchase?

Comments

• eva_prioreva_prior Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya Planets - I hope you are well.

A few months ago my kids gaming headset from Madcatz stopped working properly. It was nearly a year out of the warranty period. The company were friendly, efficient and constructive. They provided a new latest model replacement within three days.

This experience created a loyalty bond towards Madcatz for future purchases. So I guess it's very smart forwarding thinking business sense. It's confusing that some other companies can be very shoddy in respect of customer aftercare.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, in the early 80s I was in L.A. with a friend who owned a Triumph TR6 back in London.
    He saw some unusual hub caps on other TR6s out there, and went to a British Leyland dealer to get a set for his car.
    The clerk in the spares department said that they only had 3 in stock, but realising by our accents that we weren't local, he asked where we were staying.
    At around 7.00 p.m. that evening he arrived at our motel with 4 hub caps.
    Now that is customer service, plus good salesmanship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Mines had to be the jewellers beaver brooks. Went in too look at a bracelet. I was offered a coffee, a nice comfy seat. Mind you at some of the prices for the jewellery good customer service is a must.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snow.drop wrote: »
    Mines had to be the jewellers beaver brooks. Went in too look at a bracelet. I was offered a coffee, a nice comfy seat. Mind you at some of the prices for the jewellery good customer service is a must.

A couple of years back, a visit to Furniture Village involved an offer of comfy seating (naturally!) plus coffee/tea and chunky choc chip biccies. We declined - as we don't tend to snack between meals; and you then kinda feel obliged to purchase.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QVC, I'd just had my ears re-piearced seen these nice earrings, the 30 day money back expired, about 8 months had passed still couldn't get on with them, rang them, they said no problem gave me my money back....
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    eva_prior wrote: »
    Hiya Planets - I hope you are well.

A few months ago my kids gaming headset from Madcatz stopped working properly. It was nearly a year out of the warranty period. The company were friendly, efficient and constructive. They provided a new latest model replacement within three days.

This experience created a loyalty bond towards Madcatz for future purchases. So I guess it's very smart forwarding thinking business sense. It's confusing that some other companies can be very shoddy in respect of customer aftercare.

hi Eva!
    That's exactly the feeling i have now about Velbon, it has instantly created a brand loyalty.Their name will now be top of my list for future purchases and for recommending to anyone wanting to buy a tripod (the one i bought was excellent). The way the guy on the phone spoke to me was so kind and helpful he even apologised that it might take a day or two to arrive as he had to order the part. I don't know how much the small piece of plastic lever cost them but it has bought them a lifelong customer and untold word of mouth recommendations.

Ive had the opposite experience as well and it seems a no brainer to me treat your customers well and you get repeat custom and good word of mouth.

Glad to hear Madcatz is another company with excellent after care.
    Forum Member
    Yes, in the early 80s I was in L.A. with a friend who owned a Triumph TR6 back in London.
    He saw some unusual hub caps on other TR6s out there, and went to a British Leyland dealer to get a set for his car.
    The clerk in the spares department said that they only had 3 in stock, but realising by our accents that we weren't local, he asked where we were staying.
    At around 7.00 p.m. that evening he arrived at our motel with 4 hub caps.
    Now that is customer service, plus good salesmanship.

Exactly Jean-Francois, they not only got that sale but 30 years later you remember and i'm guessing over the years have told a fair few people.
    Nickelback wrote: »
    QVC, I'd just had my ears re-piearced seen these nice earrings, the 30 day money back expired, about 8 months had passed still couldn't get on with them, rang them, they said no problem gave me my money back....

that's impressive Nickelback, a lot of people advertise a 30 day money back guarantee but when it comes to actually getting your money back there's always some loophole that means you don't get it.

It's really nice to hear some positive stories, thanks for replying.
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flew with Delta to New York on my 21st birthday with my mum. I wasn't aware that my brother had paid Delta for a bottle of champagne and a birthday cake til I was on the flight.

They brought the bottle of champagne over but offered us 2 glasses of champagne and the bottle to have when we got to hotel, when mum mentioned the cake to them they didn't know anything about it and were very apologetic, they ended up giving us 2 baileys cheesecake from 1st class.

Anyway a week after we got back from New York I got a letter of apology from Delta with my brothers cheque returned and they also sent another bottle of champagne and a box of chocolate truffles.

Fantastic customer service!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We arrived in Florida to find our Villa pool backed onto a main road and also roadworks going on, very noisy and no privacy- sent an email to the travel agent saying we were disappointed and by the next day we had received a huge apology and were moved into nicer, much quieter villa.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of times from Amazon every time customs or the postal services loses my stuff, they always process a replacement order with no hassle and an apology, even though it wasn't their fault. But there was one memorable time years ago when I bought my first manual transmission car. The dealership was 40 some miles from where I was living (but where most of my life was based). Since we traded in my car and they wanted my new car off the lot, the sales guy drove it home for me, followed by a second sales guy to drive him back. It probably didn't hurt that it was horse racing season and my home base was just a few minutes away from a popular track and it was effectively the end of the sales guys' shift.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The earrings one is all the more impressive because a lot of returns on pierced earrings aren't even covered under the 30 day guarantee for health reasons.

Amazon for me when my Kindle broke when over a year out of warranty (and an OW damage) were brilliant.

Also Carphone Warehouse when they told me that they couldn't repair my phone but directed me to someone that COULD repair it for very little.
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have a Velbon which I like and whilst in France last month noticed the clamp on the head has split. It's not affecting it yet but I was going to buy a new head assembly, might just try an email now.

In 2003 I bought a Gerber Multitool here in the UK. Used in the course of my work most days and about two years ago one of the parts broke. They cost £90 so I didn't want to chuck it or buy a new one so I looked all over the net. No joy so I emailed the maker in The USA asking for a supplier. They asked for a mail address and I got two in the post less than two weeks later. I guess lifetime guarantee sometimes means that.
    Forum Member
    Tidosho wrote: »
    I too have a Velbon which I like and whilst in France last month noticed the clamp on the head has split. It's not affecting it yet but I was going to buy a new head assembly, might just try an email now.

In 2003 I bought a Gerber Multitool here in the UK. Used in the course of my work most days and about two years ago one of the parts broke. They cost £90 so I didn't want to chuck it or buy a new one so I looked all over the net. No joy so I emailed the maker in The USA asking for a supplier. They asked for a mail address and I got two in the post less than two weeks later. I guess lifetime guarantee sometimes means that.

the email address i wrote to is HERE they have a 5 year no quibble guarantee....it's definitely worth an email, i wasn't expecting anything just hoping i'd be able to buy the small part rather than a whole new panhead. I was really impressed Tidosho!

Gerber sound excellent too.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Amazon. Returned a faulty television to them, no quibbles. Also stuff that gets lost in the post is replaced no problem. My OH returned a kindle fire to them out of the 30 day return thing (by a few days) because he didn't want it and they refunded him. Great customer service all round.

Also, Marks and Spencer. I insure my pet with them and they are just so friendly and helpful. UK call centres, really friendly people down the phone. Can't fault them, however, not had to claim yet so we will have to see how that goes (praying I never have to, though!) :)
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know banks and building societies are never going to be flavour of the month with most people, but when I lost my wallet on my way a football match last year, I rang up and spoke to a lovely Irish chap in the Nationwide call centre. He was apologetic even though it wasn't his fault I'd lost it; he got my cards cancelled and my replacement sent out in almost no time at all. Now whether he was sincere or not, and whether he even worked exclusively for Nationwide as opposed to being a generic call-handler for loads of banks - I don't know, but he was still very courteous and polite over the phone.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, from a member of staff of Southern Railway who went out of his way to assist me a few days ago when, at the height of problems resulting from a signalling failure, an elderly relative was delayed by about an hour, leaving us not knowing of his whereabouts and very worried for his safety. (He is incapable of using a mobile, so we could not contact him that way).

A particular staff member, with the assistance of others around the station where he should have arrived, immediately set about trying to track him down for me and was able to guess, correctly, which train he could be arriving on.

I have emailed Southern to express my thanks.
  • magicshawmagicshaw Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Yes, some years ago before I got registered with paypal, I used to send cash in registered post in overseas purchases.

I sent $150 to this company and it turned out they only found $20 in the package I sent them.

They noticed the sealed I explained was broken.

Giving me a benefit of doubt, they sent me the goods.

After that I always used paypal.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At Phones4u last year, there was problems with the system when I was getting a new phone and it took an hour and a bit so they gave me £30 as well as the new phone, sad to see them go really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Yes, from a member of staff of Southern Railway who went out of his way to assist me a few days ago when, at the height of problems resulting from a signalling failure, an elderly relative was delayed by about an hour, leaving us not knowing of his whereabouts and very worried for his safety. (He is incapable of using a mobile, so we could not contact him that way).

A particular staff member, with the assistance of others around the station where he should have arrived, immediately set about trying to track him down for me and was able to guess, correctly, which train he could be arriving on.

I have emailed Southern to express my thanks.

This post reminds me of an incident just over thirty years ago. My husband and I had arrived on a platform in York when our train had just started moving. The platform guard blew his whistle and indicated for the train to reverse.

We were totally gobsmacked and overwhelmed with appreciation when the train trundled back onto the platform enabling us to board it for our journey.
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eva_prior wrote: »
    This post reminds me of an incident just over thirty years ago. My husband and I had arrived on a platform in York when our train had just started moving. The platform guard blew his whistle and indicated for the train to reverse.

We were totally gobsmacked and overwhelmed with appreciation when the train trundled back onto the platform enabling us to board it for our journey.
    What a nice thing to do!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I've received great customer service was when asking Amazon about a parcel I was waiting for from the dreaded Yodel.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richer sounds. They know their stuff. Direct you away from expensive kit if they don't think you need it, carry stuff to your car even if it is streets away.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon Canada - I ordered a DVD from them 3 days before Christmas. I recieved it less than 36 hours after I had ordered it. They had sent it using DHL at no extra charge!
  • Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll second Amazon!

Bravissimo staff on the phones are exceptionally helpful and friendly. I always come off the phone feeling exhilarated they really know their stuff! then again I guess providing support and uplift is the name of the game :-)
    Forum Member
    i am really heartened by everyone's good experiences thank you all for posting responses ....