Hair thinning cure.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
Forum Member
Any one know any oil or tablets or shampoo to help restore thickness of hair. I domt want a to make it look thicker but to actually restore the thickness as my hair has become dry brittle and is thinner at th top then it was a year ago.

Comments

• HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Why is your hair dry and brittle? Are you blow drying it a lot or using straighteners on it, etc? Do you use conditioner?
    If it just seems like a gradual aging thing, then the only two things that can actually work are Propecia (Finasteride) tablets which you will need a GP prescription for, or Minoxodil (sold as Regaine), which you can buy over the counter as a liquid or mousse to be applied morning and night.
    Any other shampoos or lotions which claim to help are nonsense.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Shampoos that claim to thicken your hair are a waste of money. One of the best ways to keep your hair nourished is to eat a balanced diet with protein and good fats ie olive oil, nuts and oily fish with lots of fruit, vegetables and water. To be honest if your hair is thinning due to age there is not much you can do as it will be your genes that are responsible. I've damaged my hair through overheating and home hair dyes so I know how upsetting it is, my hair is thinning from damage. The best way to treat damaged hair is with regular trims and good conditioners including those which you leave on overnight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I never blow dry my hair I dont know it just sort happened over night. I went to the doctors who said they can't really prescribe anything for thinking of hair on kh for dandruff.

I have tried Viviscal tablets but they made no difference after three months and nor have their been any changes in my diet I am still estimg the same as I was before my hair started to thin, I was told argon oil was quite good but it's expensive.
    Forum Member
    My GP sends me for annual blood tests for a separate condition but when I pointed out my thinning hair he included thyroid testing and iron levels. My thyroid levels were slightly high. Maybe you need this done? If your GP doesn't help much you can see a different doctor at your practice.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    I never blow dry my hair I dont know it just sort happened over night. I went to the doctors who said they can't really prescribe anything for thinking of hair on kh for dandruff.

I have tried Viviscal tablets but they made no difference after three months and nor have their been any changes in my diet I am still estimg the same as I was before my hair started to thin, I was told argon oil was quite good but it's expensive.

Something like Viviscal needs a bit longer than 3 months in my opinion; more like 6 months. Take it with Biotin to amp up the results.

I've stepped off the Biotin but I need to get back on it as I noticed a difference when I was taking it regularly.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed my hair thinning at the end of the summer, I was then ill and in hospital for a bit and then my depression got a lot worse and so with all the stress I was under with that and work and we were trying to move, my hair seemed to be coming out in handfuls.

I read up a lot and quickly came to the conclusion that there is no easy fix, however, I am taking hair supplements with biotin and other vitamins and minerals and I use avalon organics thickening shampoo. Its obviously not going to stop my hair falling out, but it has been really successful at thickening up what is there currently. I use it every day but I notice that even on the odd day I dont use it, my hair is not as thin as it was a couple of months back.

I used to let my hair air dry and it was always lovely and volumous but left to its own devices now it looks limp and flat so now I have to rough dry it with a hair dryer to give it some degree of volume and even then, its not like it was. Its very upsetting.
    Forum Member
    I've bought some vitamin pills with biotin in them and some iron with vitamin C for my hair. Every time I wash it or brush it loads comes out or breaks off. It will take at least 6 months before any difference will be noticed. Hair grows about 6 inches a year. Be careful using too much biotin in high doses as it can cause acne.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hair started thinning on the top. I stopped dying it and the difference is remarkable. Now it is lovely and thick again. I also wash my hair every four or five times with fairy liquid to get rid of any product that the shampoo has not removed.
    Forum Member
    Superdrug do Skin, Hair & Nails vitamin and mineral tablets. I got some yesterday in a pack of 60 for under a tenner. They have biotin in them. Viviscal are so expensive there's no way I'm paying that unless I've tried everything else first. I'll use up all my vitamins and iron tonic for 6 months and see how my hair is. I'm not liking it at the moment tbh. I do use good conditioners and serums which help it look smoother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Superdrug do Skin, Hair & Nails vitamin and mineral tablets. I got some yesterday in a pack of 60 for under a tenner. They have biotin in them. Viviscal are so expensive there's no way I'm paying that unless I've tried everything else first. I'll use up all my vitamins and iron tonic for 6 months and see how my hair is. I'm not liking it at the moment tbh. I do use good conditioners and serums which help it look smoother.

I wouldn't recommend Viviscal either it has has no affect on my hair even though they say you can notice a difference after three months. Also the expense is not worth it.
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry viviscal hasn't worked for you as it's been a God send for me. I am currently on viviscal and I have found it has been making a difference. I've had alopecia, I had bald patches underneath and on top of that hair was coming out in handfuls. I had to cut my waist length hair to shoulder length. I did try everything fro diet changes, exercise meditation, every kind of shampoo and different supplements but nothing worked. It kept coming out in handfuls. Went to the docs and had a bunch of blood tests but they came back normal. I only tried it as a last ditch things because it is so expensive. I've been taking it 3 months and my hair has stopped dropping dramatically. Even when I wash it, maybe 20 come out...no more hair tumbleweed. I can see little baby hairs as the front where it was receding before. It's still thin, and I don't think it will be as thick as before but it has helped me.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,815
    Forum Member
    They sell some sort of electric comb on QVC. It's expensive - over £100 - but you get a long guarantee and you can use it during that time. Might be worth looking at the reviews.