Options

This Cot Death storyline in Eastenders

Comments

• Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a clip of Phil's crack addiction the other day - HOW is that deemed to be "family" viewing?

On Charlie Brooker I presume?

It was the most unrealistic impersonation of someone on crack I've ever seen but the media is used to push a 'drugs are bad' message and Eastenders were helping pass on the message.

It wasn't like they showed a load of kids necking eccys and a bit of speed and having a great night.

It was showing the mess you can get your life into if you take drugs and to help children stay away from drugs. Not all family viewing needs to be everybody laughing and having a great time.
    I jus tthink it's a bit sick to base your top programmes New Year blockbuster storyline around a cot death and subsequent snatching!! How festive.

So it should just be happy tidings all the way? Shit things happen all year round.
    What do you mean? When i have been stuck round someones house on a Sunday and the omnibus is on I am literally in shock at how much shouting and arguing there is in it - i mean I have braced myself for maybe 80% of the shows content to be in this form but it is usually more.

What is stopping you from leaving? :confused:

I don't even like Eastenders but felt I had to post as you are a whinger of extreme proportions! If you don't want to watch Eastenders turn it over. If you don't want guests in your house to watch it then take the remote and turn it over. If you are at someone elses house and they are watching it and you don't want to watch it then leave. There are loads of way to avoid watching TV programmes that you don't want to watch.
  • Options
    Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What disappoints me more than this cot-death story, is the rather predictable producers and how they have constantly given a negative impression of people in the East London area and always have done. Powerful drama? Powerful and regard everyone as heartless shits?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not all shouting and screaming, you would know this if you watched it! All fictional soaps have some shouting and screaming, why single out EE?? In fact lots of other programmes have shouting and screaming too!!!

But no other soaps have that ****ing awful cockney screech.

It isn't all shouting and screaming but you have you admit, most of Eastenders storylines revolve around big screechy arguments, especially the Slater family "YOU AINT MY MAVVA" etc ;P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »
    But no other soaps have that ****ing awful cockney screech.

It isn't all shouting and screaming but you have you admit, most of Eastenders storylines revolve around big screechy arguments, especially the Slater family "YOU AINT MY MAVVA" etc ;P

Jessie Wallace went away and played Marie Lloyd and Pat Phoenix, two cultural icons of the 20th century. Does she play on that? Oh no, come back to EastEnders and be a fishwife, a ghastly rather awful impression of East London.
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Just no depths to which Eastenders won't plummet in it's quest for ratings. Why would anyone in their right mind want to spend New Year watching hammy actors shouting , screaming and plunged into the depths of despair by possibly the most traumatic event that could happen to anyone? How can that be entertaining to watch? I'm baffled :confused: But tbf I am baffled how anyone can enjoy this half hour shoutfest at any time.

They don't "need" to show it for public awareness, they "want" to show it for ratings cos for some bizarre reason there's 10 million people in this country that like to be entertained by cot death, rape and murder on a regualr basis - oh and god awful acting and writing.

Not only that , I hear the death isn't enough for them , they have to go further and make the bereaved mum steal Kat Slater's (sorry im embarrassed to even know a characters name) baby. Lovely for all the impressionable 10 and 11 year olds who'll be forced to watch, probably all go to bed in tears - again ...."why does everyone in the world hate eachother Mummy?" :mad:

Something really needs to be done to stop this rampaging doom machine draining the country of any happiness at all. Truly awful programme with not one benefit that i can see to our society,

Clearly you're not an EastEnders fan.

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. Coronation Street portrayed child snatching by a bereaved mother years ago. The problem was they did it in the twee, nicey nicey way Corrie did everything back then.

I hope there's shouting, screaming and everything else. Due to the broadcast time, there won't be cursing. I hope they portray the full in your face shock of the situation and not just a couple of tears and a bit of a whine and it's all OK in the morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. Coronation Street portrayed child snatching by a bereaved mother years ago. The problem was they did it in the twee, nicey nicey way Corrie did everything back then.

I hope there's shouting, screaming and everything else. Due to the broadcast time, there won't be cursing. I hope they portray the full in your face shock of the situation and not just a couple of tears and a bit of a whine and it's all OK in the morning.

Maybe the BBC should charge for every moan and 'big reveal at Christmas' on the BBC Soap channel - 50p a shot.

Sorry to burst your soap bubble, most people who pay the licence fee can't be bothered with the antics of comedy sluts from the Eastend. It stopped being interesting when Angie Watts left...Anita Dobson knew it was getting tiresome 20 years ago and f offed.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Coronation Street baby snatch thing was a bit differant to what Eastenders is planning. I mean with Eastenders your going to have a woman discover her baby is dead. Pick it up. Take it to someone else's home. Take their baby out of its cot. Put the dead baby in its place and walk off with the live baby as though you can actually replace the children you lose like you would a pair of shoes or blender or a TV.

I mean, its just such an absurd and ridiculous concept that I can't honestly imagine who in their right mind actually came up with this rubbish. And then they apparently plan to string this nonsense out for TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I jus tthink it's a bit sick to base your top programmes New Year blockbuster storyline around a cot death and subsequent snatching!! How festive.

My cousin's three month old boy died suddenly on Christmas Day morning 8 years ago. How very thoughtless of him to time it so inconveniently and how terribly inconsiderate of her to be crying and wailing when everyone was supposed to be having a good time :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    The Coronation Street baby snatch thing was a bit differant to what Eastenders is planning. I mean with Eastenders your going to have a woman discover her baby is dead. Pick it up. Take it to someone else's home. Take their baby out of its cot. Put the dead baby in its place and walk off with the live baby as though you can actually replace the children you lose like you would a pair of shoes or blender or a TV.

I mean, its just such an absurd and ridiculous concept that I can't honestly imagine who in their right mind actually came up with this rubbish. And then they apparently plan to string this nonsense out for TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!!!

All you've done here is take the storyline out of context and put your own negative spin on it. :sleep:

Ronnie's baby dies and she goes to search for help, she goes to the vic and hear's the Moons baby upstairs crying. In a moment of grief and desperation she swaps the babies because she doesn't want to face the fact that the child she always longed for has gone again. Later on she realises what she has done, but as she tries to go back to the Vic to get her own baby, it's too late because the dead baby has been discovered.

If you watch EE you'd know about the characters in this story and their history with children. That is what the actual story is about, the cot death and swap is just the catalyst for the storyline it's not the focus of the storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    All you've done here is take the storyline out of context and put your own negative spin on it. :sleep:

Ronnie's baby dies and she goes to search for help, she goes to the vic and hear's the Moons baby upstairs crying. In a moment of grief and desperation she swaps the babies because she doesn't want to face the fact that the child she always longed for has gone again. Later on she realises what she has done, but as she tries to go back to the Vic to get her own baby, it's too late because the dead baby has been discovered.

If you watch EE you'd know about the characters in this story and their history with children. That is what the actual story is about, the cot death and swap is just the catalyst for the storyline it's not the focus of the storyline.

You can dramatise and fantasise as much as you like about these pretend characters you seem to spend your life adoring. What this show is doing is trying to entertain from misery.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    You can dramatise and fantasise as much as you like about these pretend characters you seem to spend your life adoring. What this show is doing is trying to entertain from misery.
    This is just so old:yawn:
    Just Lately there's been a lot of light hearted moments in almost every episode and a Happy ending for Stacey on xmas day.

This storyline has already been praised by the press which is quite unusual as they usually rip EastEnders apart.

In the Daily Mirror last week a women who the BBC had been working with was in this same position and she had praised the storyline highly

The OP has a thing against EastEnders which is clear (see their Past Threads) and i know it's not to everyones taste but to make threads like this based on a storyline that hasn't even aired yet is quite frankly SAD and i just which people would get out more and try to understand thatr EastEnders is a soap,a drama and it's not real
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    This is just so old:yawn:
    Just Lately there's been a lot of light hearted moments in almost every episode and a Happy ending for Stacey on xmas day.

This storyline has already been praised by the press which is quite unusual as they usually rip EastEnders apart.

In the Daily Mirror last week a women who the BBC had been working with was in this same position and she had praised the storyline highly

The OP has a thing against EastEnders which is clear (see their Past Threads) and i know it's not to everyones taste but to make threads like this based on a storyline that hasn't even aired yet is quite frankly SAD and i just which people would get out more and try to understand thatr EastEnders is a soap,a drama and it's not real

That's brilliant that you have the gutter press saying EastEnders is a marvel. I've no idea who the OP is, I couldn't care less.

I know it is in VERY bad taste.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Exactly we all know what Ronnies like and all she has ever wanted was a baby.
    So to find that her baby has died of Cot death
    she rushes to the Vic to get help when she hears a baby (Kats Baby) crying and whille she's not thinking she swaps them

The script writers and the BBC have stressed that this is based on Ronnie and not every women across the world thats had a baby die of cot death.

Looking back at past storylines involving Ronnie and a baby this really is in character for her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly we all know what Ronnies like and all she has ever wanted was a baby.
    So to find that her baby has died of Cot death
    she rushes to the Vic to get help when she hears a baby (Kats Baby) crying and whille she's not thinking she swaps them

The script writers and the BBC have stressed that this is based on Ronnie and not every women across the world thats had a baby die of cot death.

Looking back at past storylines involving Ronnie and a baby this really is in character for her

This Ronnie is not real, you act like she is a real person.

When you stop being entertaining and you start being disturbing in your actions for ratings, you really need to stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's brilliant that you have the gutter press saying EastEnders is a marvel. I've no idea who the OP is, I couldn't care less.

I know it is in VERY bad taste.
    Thing is the press/media usually slate EastEnders(apart from the odd time) but to see them on their side is showing that they have faith in the storyline (which Naturally they have already seen)

Back a few months ago they shown death/grief in away that no other show on tv has
    the raw emotion and that was praised very highly and deemed one of the best drama episodes of recent years.

Looking in this thread quite a few negative postings are from people that usually slate Enders anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is disturbing that storytellers for a soap opera, a supposed bit of entertainment, are going out of their way to act out misery, a misery that is REAL for many people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This Ronnie is not real, you act like she is a real person.

When you stop being entertaining and you start being disturbing in your actions for ratings, you really need to stop.
    Thats the point though
    You watch THis 'Ronnie' for 3/4 years almost 4 times aweek and it's like you know this person (with in the soap of course)

There's nothing wrong with the ratings and infact they are up on this time last year and 2010 has had one of their best rating years since 2004 but Ronnie has almost been this sort of person since she started around 3 years ago.

She was raped by her dad as a kid,Her daughter had died,she tried gettting pregnant by doctoring the condom
    so it's clear she has an illness

and i think this storyline will be just like the BI Polor one
    which was outstanding
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All of these people moaning and having an hysterical reaction to this storyline really do make me laugh :D, in fact, I might enjoy this storyline even more because I can just imagine their outrage when they watch the episodes in question whilst getting ready to complain to ofcom and the BBC in disgust.

EE is drama made for entertainment purposes. Loads of other shows have had hard hitting stories but they don't get the stick that EE does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats the point though
    You watch THis 'Ronnie' for 3/4 years almost 4 times aweek and it's like you know this person (with in the soap of course)

There's nothing wrong with the ratings and infact they are up on this time last year and 2010 has had one of their best rating years since 2004 but Ronnie has almost been this sort of person since she started around 3 years ago.

She was raped by her dad as a kid,Her daughter had died,she tried gettting pregnant by doctoring the condom
    so it's clear she has an illness

and i think this storyline will be just like the BI Polor one
    which was outstanding

I think the actress is outstanding, with what she is given.

I used to like soaps as much as you. The days of Elsie Tanner and Bet Lynch are gone. It's like a production line now. They create storylines AROUND characters rather than have characters lead the story. Every character in a soap is bi-polar because they change their character to suit the story.

I think your adoration is lovely, but you are fooling yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member

All you're doing is unfairly singling out EE. All of the soaps do this;

Emmerdale: drug addiction and prostitution, gay self loathing, attempted suicide, unborn baby that will have downs syndrome
    Corrie: tram crash that has devastated the street with people killed, two multiple killers living on the street in the same year, alcoholism
    Hollyoaks: Character murdered after arranging to meet someone online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you're doing is unfairly singling out EE. All of the soaps do this;

Emmerdale: drug addiction and prostitution, gay self loathing, attempted suicide, unborn baby that will have downs syndrome

Corrie: tram crash that has devastated the street with people killed, two multiple killers living on the street in the same year, alcoholism

Hollyoaks: Character murdered after arranging to meet someone online.

See above. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the actress is outstanding, with what she is given.

I used to like soaps as much as you. The days of Elsie Tanner and Bet Lynch are gone. It's like a production line now. They create storylines AROUND characters rather than have characters lead the story. Every character in a soap is bi-polar because they change their character to suit the story.

I think your adoration is lovely, but you are fooling yourself.
    Stacey's Bi Polor storyline was planned back in 2005 when her Mother was first Introduced we all saw signs of Stacey having Bi Polor untill Doctors told her she had the same condition has her mum (that was 2008/2009)

Ronnie has not been changed either

I don't watch 'soaps' 1 or 2 soaps doesn't make me a loyal soap fan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stacey's Bi Polor storyline was planned back in 2005 when her Mother was first Introduced we all saw signs of Stacey having Bi Polor untill Doctors told her she had the same condition has her mum (that was 2008/2009)

Ronnie has not been changed either

I don't watch 'soaps' 1 or 2 soaps doesn't make me a loyal soap fan

Every character changes depending on the story.

I've nothing against EastEnders, Corrie, Emmerdale.

They are now ran the same way - pump it out, no character development at all.

This is how we get to now, cot deaths and baby swapping.

Doing THAT for ratings?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    This thread is pathetic.

People can watch EastEnders if they want to! BBC do not force people to watch it. :mad:

Personally i love EastEnders and have no problem with the cot death storyline. in fact i have learnt more about real issues over the years such as the bipolar storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is pathetic.

People can watch EastEnders if they want to! BBC do not force people to watch it. :mad:

Personally i love EastEnders and have no problem with the cot death storyline. in fact i have learnt more about real issues over the years such as the bipolar storyline.

Nice, but the BBC is not quite NHS Direct.
This discussion has been closed.