Options

Antibiotics for adult acne

Comments

• Options
    ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    the reason they want you on the pill is because lymecycline deforms babies if you get pregnant when on it, which is why i refused to take it just in case

Whoever told you this is either really irresponsible or a really bad communicator. There is no evidence that the tetracyclines (including lymecycline) cause malformations in unborn children, but use in the second or third trimester can cause problems with teeth and bones, including brown staining of the teeth. So exposure in pregnancy is not ideal, but is not nearly so severe as exposure to roaccutane, for example.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Errodiel wrote: »
    Whoever told you this is either really irresponsible or a really bad communicator. There is no evidence that the tetracyclines (including lymecycline) cause malformations in unborn children, but use in the second or third trimester can cause problems with teeth and bones, including brown staining of the teeth. So exposure in pregnancy is not ideal, but is not nearly so severe as exposure to roaccutane, for example.

Would rather listen to my GP who stressed you must not get pregnant on this drug and stressed the chances of abnormalities with bone growth and some kind of facial abnormality were extremely high compared to that of tetracycline
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Would rather listen to my GP who stressed you must not get pregnant on this drug and stressed the chances of abnormalities with bone growth and some kind of facial abnormality were extremely high compared to that of tetracycline

I was told the same thing by my GP. She stressed it quite heavily that it would affect an unborn child.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had awful acne for years in my teens/twenties.
    The antibiotics didn't seem to help me. Also a cream called panoxyl 5 worked a bit but really dried out my skin and made me look like an Umpa Lumpa!
    What was very helpful though was the steamroom (not the sauna for some reason) at my local sports centre.It didn't cure it but really kept it under control.

One day I woke up and it had gone and never came back.
  • Options
    WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    the reason they want you on the pill is because lymecycline deforms babies if you get pregnant when on it, which is why i refused to take it just in case

i'm not planning on having any children at the moment.
    Yasmin made my hair fall out, gave me terrible anxiety and depression. its not for me, id rather be spotty.
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Is that a tablet form of the stuff you put on your skin? I was given zynert which goes on your skin and contains erythromycin i think. The stuff stinks and stains clothes if it gets on it!

Just googled what i was given and its zineryt. Only just clicked it gets its name from the two ingredients zinc and erythromycin. Mind blown :eek:

It tastes disgusting too if you get it in your mouth! I use Zineryt daily and it's been the only thing to keep acne in my t zone under control. Unfortunately I now seem to get monthly acne around my mouth and on my chin which is different to the spots I used to get. I think my acne has grown up with me from adolescence to adulthood and now I get horrible, painful nodule things. It's a pain in the bum!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hey just an update:

im on yasmin for 3 months and seeing what happens. also got a tube of zindaclin 1%
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have suffered with acne since teenage years i was on minocin for a while recently my dr put me on doxycycline and it worked miracles
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take oxytetracycline, have been for ages. Got Panoxyl face wash, but it didn't agree with my skin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your GP's not up to date with the latest evidence.

I'm obviously not advising against caution, and I would always give the standard advice of using as few drugs as possible, at the lowest effective dose, for as short a course as possible. But it's also reasonable to ask that you're getting the most up do date information from your GP. There's a phone number inside the front cover of the BNF that they can call for expert advice.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Your GP's not up to date with the latest evidence.

I'm obviously not advising against caution, and I would always give the standard advice of using as few drugs as possible, at the lowest effective dose, for as short a course as possible. But it's also reasonable to ask that you're getting the most up do date information from your GP. There's a phone number inside the front cover of the BNF that they can call for expert advice.

Maybe not but i would rather listen to her than some random person on the internet there are plenty of drugs out there that are safer should i become pregnant on them so why take the risk
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamcake wrote: »
    hey just an update:

im on yasmin for 3 months and seeing what happens. also got a tube of zindaclin 1%

Ooh, how are you getting on with that? I've just been put on yasmin too. The acne has been flaring badly around my mouth and chin area so the doctor suspected that my old pill (cilest) might be provoking the bad skin. I'm on the antibiotic minocyline too. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    RockyRaccoon68RockyRaccoon68 Posts: 107
    Forum Member

Would you really want to give a baby any risk of issues with bones and teeth though for the sake of an acne treatment? Personally I think avoid in pregnancy is pretty good advice, obviously weighing risk v benefit. If you had a life threatening infection then fair enough but to say the person communicating was really irresponsible is a stretch! The evidence is sketchy and there is clear evidence of tooth discolouration with loose evidence for other minor birth defects...why risk any unless the situation is grave?
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was put on an anti-biotic for 18 MONTHS when I was a teenager for serious acne. I refused any more after that as I was conviced it was damaging my long term health - it did nothing for the acne either.

I got put on the hardcore that is Roaccutane and that sorted out the beefy stuff on my face, but now in my mid twenties I'm still prone to the frequent flare up and it never "cured" my back.

I was recently put on another anti-biotic for 2-3 months and that didn't touch it either.

I've just slowly convinced myself that with Cod Liver Oil/Vitamins and careful choice of washes to aid the worst of it - I'll just have to live with it. Nothing will fully rid me of it.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to use Accutane you know, it also comes as a topical solution (tretinoin) which is relatively free of its side effects.

I find topical clindamycin works well when used in conjunction with either tretinoin or benzoyl peroxide (they potentiate each other). Tretinoin can make you go very red though, depending on the strength, and benzoyl peroxide is very drying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you really want to give a baby any risk of issues with bones and teeth though for the sake of an acne treatment? Personally I think avoid in pregnancy is pretty good advice, obviously weighing risk v benefit. If you had a life threatening infection then fair enough but to say the person communicating was really irresponsible is a stretch! The evidence is sketchy and there is clear evidence of tooth discolouration with loose evidence for other minor birth defects...why risk any unless the situation is grave?

I absolutely wouldn't recommend use in the second or third trimester, or even recommend use in pregnancy full stop - I should have been clearer. My point was that a non-pregnant woman has very little to worry about, because the chances of her being treated all the way to the second trimester without realising she's fallen pregnant are very low. I firmly believe that pregnant women should use as few drugs as possible, at the lowest dose and for the shortest time, but preventing a non-pregnant woman from using an effective drug by using language like "deformed" is ethically sketchy, IMO.

Personally I'd only recommend use of a tetracycline in pregnancy where the infection had been microbiologically confirmed as being sensitive to them, and if the consequences of not treating outweigh the risks of treating. If a woman had been accidentally exposed in the early stages though, I'd give reassurance that the risks are slim at that point of causing any harm.
  • Options
    RockyRaccoon68RockyRaccoon68 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I absolutely wouldn't recommend use in the second or third trimester, or even recommend use in pregnancy full stop - I should have been clearer. My point was that a non-pregnant woman has very little to worry about, because the chances of her being treated all the way to the second trimester without realising she's fallen pregnant are very low. I firmly believe that pregnant women should use as few drugs as possible, at the lowest dose and for the shortest time, but preventing a non-pregnant woman from using an effective drug by using language like "deformed" is ethically sketchy, IMO.

Personally I'd only recommend use of a tetracycline in pregnancy where the infection had been microbiologically confirmed as being sensitive to them, and if the consequences of not treating outweigh the risks of treating. If a woman had been accidentally exposed in the early stages though, I'd give reassurance that the risks are slim at that point of causing any harm.

I see where you're coming from now, we're very much singing from the same hymn sheet then!
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was oxytetracycline that I used as well. Cured my acne in 6 months.
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an appointment to see my doctor regarding my persisting adult acne which is now spreading to my chest which is as attractive as you can imagine :(

I'm after some antibiotics and possibly a topical cream. Any recommendations please? I've heard doxycycline is good.

Since in the past I suffered from adult acne myself, I offer you this recommendation...Hydrogen Peroxide available at the chemist for about £1 a bottle....wash the skin well with cleanser and hot water and then wipe the affected area over with a cotton pad soaked with the peroxide . Repeat twice a day.

Change your pillow slip every 2 or 3 days and wash on a hot wash. Make sure you wear a clean tea shirt or top every day.

Your skin contains good and bad bacteria ..the acne is caused by the bad bacteria.

I did this for about 9 months and at the end of it I had lovely clear skin..............
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I've got an appointment to see my doctor regarding my persisting adult acne which is now spreading to my chest which is as attractive as you can imagine :(

I'm after some antibiotics and possibly a topical cream. Any recommendations please? I've heard doxycycline is good.

I've got the same problem man. Are you a hairy man? Because that's why I get those.
  • Options
    WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    hooter wrote: »
    Since in the past I suffered from adult acne myself, I offer you this recommendation...Hydrogen Peroxide available at the chemist for about £1 a bottle....wash the skin well with cleanser and hot water and then wipe the affected area over with a cotton pad soaked with the peroxide . Repeat twice a day.

Change your pillow slip every 2 or 3 days and wash on a hot wash. Make sure you wear a clean tea shirt or top every day.

Your skin contains good and bad bacteria ..the acne is caused by the bad bacteria.

I did this for about 9 months and at the end of it I had lovely clear skin..............

Isn't Hydrogen Peroxide bleach? Why would you put that on your face?
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin had bad acne and went to see a dermatologist who prescribed Roaccutane. His skin is now completely clear and he rarely has spots. I think you have to be monitored while taking this drug because it can cause some side affects.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I had years of experiencing bad acne. Unfortunately, nothing seem to help.

Even in my twenties I had the odd spot that was so big, it needed it's own weather system. Just hang in there and just use concealer. It will get better. I promise.

I now have numerous comments about how good my skin is. Hardly use any creams but the natural grease my skin produces keeps me looking young.

C
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cacharodon wrote: »
    I had years of experiencing bad acne. Unfortunately, nothing seem to help.

Even in my twenties I had the odd spot that was so big, it needed it's own weather system. Just hang in there and just use concealer. It will get better. I promise.

I now have numerous comments about how good my skin is. Hardly use any creams but the natural grease my skin produces keeps me looking young.

C

:D It's the only plus side, eh? I have had acne on and off since about 17/18 and I don't get wrinkles. Nice greasy skin. :o A make-up artist once told me not to bother with moisturiser every day, or even more than once or twice a week. She was trying to get the shine off my face. Natural moisture in there - and lots of it.

I found this thread interesting as I've been on Minocin for about two months and have had some of the side-effects mentioned. I never made the connection until tonight. :(
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    gmphmac wrote: »
    Doxycycline doesn't really do anything, and you won't be able to just buy an effective topical cream OTC. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist.

Doxycycline did nothing for my acne at all either. I developed acne on my chest when I was 20; I'd had never had spots there during my teenage years and it just wouldn't shift. I was given Zineryt and antibiotic tablets again, which didn't help. I also tried every single over the counter remedy available.

After a year I was referred to a dermatologist. The waiting list was quite long and I would advise the OP to get referred ASAP.

My problem was over-active sebaceous glands.

pmyoung wrote: »
    I had to take Roacutane when I was a teenager. It was prescribed by a dermatologist and it was really good and solved my problems. The only side effect was dry lips. It was the best decision of my life to take it.

The dermatologist I saw suggested Roaccutane and, like pmyoung, I think it was the best decision I have made about my health to date. I am so glad that I opted to take it.