MGM developing new 'Tomb Raider' franchise

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=798605
"Tomb Raider" is getting another go on the big screen. MGM has acquired the film rights to the popular video game line and will develop the new action-adventure franchise in partnership with GK Films, both companies announced on Wednesday.

GK Films had previously acquired the rights in 2011 from interactive entertainment company Square Enix Ltd, which absorbed Eidos, the London-based video game company that created the first "Tomb Raider" game in 1996.

Great news. If they focus on the feel and look of the new one, it could potentially be very good. As much as I thought Camilla Luddington's voice acting in the game was top notch, I don't think she would work as Lara on the big screen though.

Comments

• The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Hmm. They wouldn't have enjoyable gameplay to distract from the terrible story and characters if they borrow too heavily from the new game though...
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. They wouldn't have enjoyable gameplay to distract from the terrible story and characters if they borrow too heavily from the new game though...

That's why I said they should go for the feel and look of it. There are enough decent scriptwriters out there to put together a decent story, but I think if you could get the "gritty" look that the new game has, with the younger Lara as well, it could be pretty good.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was not overkeen on the previous films but I think that the story line of the latest game could make a good movie.

The 'Apocalypse Now' style Lara's head slowly rising out of the water scene would look great.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should have gone for other games. Such as Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy), Yesterday, Deadly Premonition, or one of the Gabriel Knight games.

Or remake Alone in the Dark. Certainly the worst game adaptation in all time.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    And who will play the young Lara? AJ's too old for the part now, sadly.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camilla Luddington is certainly a good enough actress to play the role, but I don't know.. just doesn't seem quite right, but then I'm not sure who else either
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camilla Luddington is certainly a good enough actress to play the role, but I don't know.. just doesn't seem quite right, but then I'm not sure who else either

I wonder if Kate Middleton woould be interested. :)
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Loads of people are supporting Emma Watson for the role but she didn't seem too keen on the role when asked about it once. I would prefer it to be a British actress though. There seems to be support for Lyndsy Fonseca (probably influenced by her role on Nikita). I like her and she checks many of the boxes but for some reason have a hard time picturing her acting British (not just the accent).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of people are supporting Emma Watson for the role but she didn't seem too keen on the role when asked about it once. I would prefer it to be a British actress though. There seems to be support for Lyndsy Fonseca (probably influenced by her role on Nikita). I like her and she checks many of the boxes but for some reason have a hard time picturing her acting British (not just the accent).

Wouldn't want Emma Watson, but Lyndsey Fonseca would be interesting. She certainly has the action experience and looks at home with fight choreography, but, as you say, the british part of the character might be a stretch.

I suppose if they're not going to go down the origins route, the obviously logical choice would be Kate Beckinsdale. She's obviously english, specifically with the upper class 'plummy' accent, and is more than proven in the action movies.

Here's one to ponder - Michelle Keegan. Certainly got the figure, British and can act (to a point :D). And at 25, she'd still be young enough to pull of a younger version of Lara. Could she make the step up to the big screen though ?
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I wonder if Kate Middleton woould be interested. :)

I see what you did there ;)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should do the new film based on the new game which is fantastic
    And yes, Lyndsey Fonseca would be perfect. I hope she can do a british accent and possibly fit the film around her Nikita schedule
  • Linda_AndersonLinda_Anderson Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if its gonna be a reboot or a prequel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if its gonna be a reboot or a prequel?

No concrete information at all but what little is out there suggests a reboot
    Forum Member
    No concrete information at all but what little is out there suggests a reboot

Okay, thanks.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to find any British Actress who feels like she could be Lara.
    I've got some suggestions though:
    Felicity Jones
    Natasha O'Keeffe
    Hayley Atwell

Of course for me Angelina Jolie was about perfect for the role so it would be hard to find someone else.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemma Arterton
    Dakota Blue Richards
    Samantha Barks
    Michelle Ryan
    Kaya Scodelaria

- Even though Angie was great I would love it to be an English actress
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemma Arterton

No.no..no..no..NO :D
    Forum Member
    No.no..no..no..NO :D

So, that would be a no then ? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Gemma Arterton was the first name i thought of as she is known to the US audience through Hansel & Gretel, One of the Bond films, Prince of Persia amongst others.

Just curious.... why is everyone assuming that that Lara Croft in the reboot is even going to be English?
    As has been seen with other reboots, they are happy to change things to fit with what they want to do. The Raimi version of Spiderman's origin wasn't the same as the comic. The reboot wasn't the same as either of those two.

If they wish to reboot it and have Lara Croft as some American "socialite" they will do it, especially if they can get the actress they want for the role.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    They would never do that with such a big property, faithfulness to the source material is taken a bit more seriously these days, and they'd know such a stupid change would lead to outcry.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Surely it can't take much for even a half decent actress to put on a English accent. Even it's it not the best and will be initially tought of as one of those comedy British accents that Hollywood use. After a few minutes people will adjust.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Maggie Gyllenhal wouldn't be right for this role at all, but on the subject of american actresses doing british accents, hers is one of the very best i've heard - it's near faultless.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »

Regards

Mark

I don't know about that more likely she doesn't wanna do that anymore.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »

Regards

Mark

Alison Carroll would be a good choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvonne Strahovski!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvonne Strahovski!

She could probably pull off the accent, but at 30, she'd be too old to do any kind of origin story if they did that. If it was a "regular" story then I wouldn't have a problem with her in the role.