Options

The Official Christmas Radio Times 2014 Countdown Thread

Comments

• Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blu Jo wrote: »
    Just checked, Scrooged was actually on Sunday 22nd.
    http://ukchristmastv.weebly.com/channel-4-2013.html

Home Alone 2 was the film I was thinking of.

Thanks for that. Crikey if only I'd paid more attention.

Ah well, I've only 11 months to wait until hopefully it's back on.:blush:
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Not really a Christmas thing but I know a few of you like Laurel and Hardy so you may be interested in this :

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/8864-bbc-one-orders-laurel-and-hardy-drama
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Thought I’d get an early bookmark in for later in the year.

Let’s hope that 2014 Christmas tv is better than 2013; after Catherine Tate’s Nan, Educating Yorkshire Christmas special and James May’s Toy Story I’m struggling to think of anything else that was worth watching.

Surely one of the worst Christmases ever in regards to tv:confused:

The movies were particularly awful this year (unless you like cgi kids films or Harry Potter).

Roll on Summer….
  • Options
    Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where can I view the weekly covers online?

There used to be a page that uploaded the cover a day or so before it's release
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    Roll on Summer….

I thought summer was a poor time for television, seeing as that's when most people go on holiday.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a Christmas thing but I know a few of you like Laurel and Hardy so you may be interested in this :

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/8864-bbc-one-orders-laurel-and-hardy-drama

Looking forward to that. Just watched a few of their works recently - Babes in Toyland, Lucky Dog, Atoll K. Seen most of their stuff apart from a few early/silent films which I'll be catching up with this spring.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have two copies of the 18th-24th January issue (my own subscription copy, and one I've bought for a relative), and one copy has a cover mentioning a 16-page supplement, and the other copy has a cover mentioning Coronation St, and there is no supplement stapled in the middle of the magazine.
  • Options
    gopher_uk1gopher_uk1 Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    Thought I’d get an early bookmark in for later in the year.

Let’s hope that 2014 Christmas tv is better than 2013; after Catherine Tate’s Nan, Educating Yorkshire Christmas special and James May’s Toy Story I’m struggling to think of anything else that was worth watching.

Surely one of the worst Christmases ever in regards to tv:confused:

The movies were particularly awful this year (unless you like cgi kids films or Harry Potter).

Roll on Summer….

Check the old TV/Radio Times. Christmas TV has always been mighy average.
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gopher_uk1 wrote: »
    Check the old TV/Radio Times. Christmas TV has always been mighy average.

was mentioned that sky had lots of christmas / best movies in 2013, but the rest of tv was worse than i remember for at least 5 years.

I won't be able to watch a lot next year but id like to think that the dramas and docs were better in 2014
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two copies of the 18th-24th January issue (my own subscription copy, and one I've bought for a relative), and one copy has a cover mentioning a 16-page supplement, and the other copy has a cover mentioning Coronation St, and there is no supplement stapled in the middle of the magazine.

It did mention in this weeks issue that there would be a supplement in next weeks issue but there isnt. My copy has the death of a Corrie charcacter at the top.

Probably the staff are too busy spending the extra 20p's on the RT cover party!

On a seperate note suprised that there has been no obituary in RT to David Coleman
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    The supplement is in my subscription copy, but not the copy I bought for someone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member

I would be very happy with this on Christmas Night! Hopefully the filming schedule suits everyone!

Long time lurker here not that often poster, so I hope everyone had a great Christmas 2013 and I'm looking forward to joining the madness of the 2014 Countdown with ye all :)
  • Options
    smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chr1s wrote: »
    Long time lurker here not that often poster, so I hope everyone had a great Christmas 2013 and I'm looking forward to joining the madness of the 2014 Countdown with ye all :)

Welcome aboard!

:)
  • Options
    Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    In an interview on ITV's This morning actress Ruth Jones said that there would be a Christmas special of Stella on Sky TV, and that filming would be starting soon.
  • Options
    i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an interview on ITV's This morning actress Ruth Jones said that there would be a Christmas special of Stella on Sky TV, and that filming would be starting soon.

That will be great if turn as do love Stella.

wow they do film Christmas specials early dont they:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Now that ITV 1 have regained the rights to show the James Bond films could they give Sky fall its terrestrial premier on Christmas Day.
    I seem to recall that they gave another Bond film a Christmas Day showing back in I think 1978.
    In recent times animated films have dominated the programme line ups on December the 25th so maybe ITV could maybe put Sky fall on after the Queens speech.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that ITV 1 have regained the rights to show the James Bond films could they give Sky fall its terrestrial premier on Christmas Day.
    I seem to recall that they gave another Bond film a Christmas Day showing back in I think 1978.
    In recent times animated films have dominated the programme line ups on December the 25th so maybe ITV could maybe put Sky fall on after the Queens speech.

Would be very surprised if they did that. Generally ITV have their premiers earlier for advertising revenue reasons although that did change slightly last year with the two Potters. More likely in November/early December I would have thought. And in the evening rather than the afternoon.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this article about the RT quite interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jan/19/radio-times-immediate-media

The magazine is very profitable but it has an average readership age of 57! I suppose it makes you think about the necessity of targeting everything at younger people and whether something can remain 'out dated' but still successful.
  • Options
    BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Return of the bond film on Xmas day would be cool. However like the poster above, can't see it as I doubt they could show it in the afternoon slot.

Good news about Stella.
  • Options
    BoyontbridgeBoyontbridge Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Having had time to reflect on the poor Christmas offering is there any way we can collectively inform the Beeb that we are more interested in entertainment than winning a ratings war?

Christmas Night in particular was poor

Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special – Do we really need this on Christmas Night – it’s about the judges not the dancing and we get it all Autumn thru to Christmas as it is

6.15pm Call the Midwife – Nostalgic Pap but, easy viewing, I’ll give you that

7.30pm Doctor Who : - Often heralds a new doctor so whilst I’m not a fan I understand why it’s in there.

8.30pm EastEnders – Why are we exposed to this bunch of loud depressing loud wannabe gangsters being loud On Christmas Night. Surely the one night of the year we need a break from this is Christmas. This is the prime slot and if you don’t follow it you are excluded (is that fair, on Christmas Night?) There is plenty of time to catch up with the depressing storylines – there’s only one Christmas night

9.30pm Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special – this is one of the most over-rated comedies of all time why oh why is it on TV let alone Christmas Night

10.05pm Michael McIntyre's Showtime – what a waste of licence payers money – he is not in any way funny – now he’s being paid half a million to do 8 chat shows, based on what? It’s not even as if he’s ever displayed any intelligence or oratory elegance. It’s odds on they’ll be lining him up to interview, some E-listers next Christmas Night

As for couple of other shows

Sherlock / Last Tango In Halifax – Stand out drama it’s what the beeb do best. So let’s Have more.

Open All Hours – When will they ever learn? First they try to air a brand new untried comedy on Christmas Night (Come Fly With Me) Then they try to rehash a comedy that has been played to death (The Royle Family) it’s almost as though someone thought Open All hours would be good simply based on the law of averages.

We all know there are some gems out there at Christmas and whilst it’s nice to spread them over the Christmas period this is just taking the piss!

The most depressing thought is we already know Christmas Evening 2014 will look pretty similar.

So, there you have it. Hopefully something, you’ll agree, of a balanced critique. If not, at least something that will promote some lively debate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having had time to reflect on the poor Christmas offering is there any way we can collectively inform the Beeb that we are more interested in entertainment than winning a ratings war?

Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special – Do we really need this on Christmas Night – it’s about the judges not the dancing and we get it all Autumn thru to Christmas as it is

7.30pm Doctor Who : - Often heralds a new doctor so whilst I’m not a fan I understand why it’s in there.

8.30pm EastEnders – Why are we exposed to this bunch of loud depressing loud wannabe gangsters being loud On Christmas Night. Surely the one night of the year we need a break from this is Christmas. This is the prime slot and if you don’t follow it you are excluded (is that fair, on Christmas Night?) There is plenty of time to catch up with the depressing storylines – there’s only one Christmas night

9.30pm Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special – this is one of the most over-rated comedies of all time why oh why is it on TV let alone Christmas Night

10.05pm Michael McIntyre's Showtime – what a waste of licence payers money – he is not in any way funny – now he’s being paid half a million to do 8 chat shows, based on what? It’s not even as if he’s ever displayed any intelligence or oratory elegance. It’s odds on they’ll be lining him up to interview, some E-listers next Christmas Night

Sherlock / Last Tango In Halifax – Stand out drama it’s what the beeb do best. So let’s Have more.

Open All Hours – When will they ever learn? First they try to air a brand new untried comedy on Christmas Night (Come Fly With Me) Then they try to rehash a comedy that has been played to death (The Royle Family) it’s almost as though someone thought Open All hours would be good simply based on the law of averages.

We all know there are some gems out there at Christmas and whilst it’s nice to spread them over the Christmas period this is just taking the piss!

The most depressing thought is we already know Christmas Evening 2014 will look pretty similar.

So, there you have it. Hopefully something, you’ll agree, of a balanced critique. If not, at least something that will promote some lively debate.

I think Strictly could be given a rest or at least moved to Christmas Eve.

Doctor Who and EastEnders have become a Christmas tradition now and although I don't watch EastEnders millions do.

As for Mrs Brown's Boys and Michael McIntyre it's all a matter of taste, I like both of them but appreciate there are people who don't.

Would be nice to see something different though on Christmas Day and rumours are that we may get Sherlock this year!

Whatever the BBC1 serve up even if it is similar to previous years it will be far superior to what ITV offer.........soap, more soaps and Downton Abbey!

I must admit, though that I loved BBC2's Christmas night lineup

The Two Ronnies
    Morecambe & Wise
    Ghost Story : The Tractate Middoth
    M R James Ghost Writer

It was like an old fashioned Christmas!
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely ratings are indicative of what the majority want to watch? DS forum members make up a tiny proportion of the viewers. Is it up to us to dictate the Christmas schedules when clearly viewers are largely happy with what is offered? The been do need a big comedy event this year though. That was severely lacking in 2013.