Claire Balding, why is she on everything?

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clare is on everything because her interview prompts do not keep ending up with a banal 'how does that feel!'.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    Presenting a major event isn't about "giving somebody different a chance". Who remembers the farrago that was the Queen's Diamond Jubilee event on the Thames..? The BBC gave the young trendy things their chance then, and what a pigs ear they made of it.

It was a bit more complicated than that but why spoil the Daily Mail versions with facts.
  • johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is driving me mad at the moment, omnipresent, omnitalking, super confident, just plain annoying.
    There must be someone else,......please?
  • TelenautTelenaut Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Because just like the other BBC presenters, they are only there if they meet certain criteria or fill quotas, not because they have any ability to present or even engage an audience.

Konnie Huq, for example.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Clare is on everything because her interview prompts do not keep ending up with a banal 'how does that feel!'.

Asking if a top jockey us going to get his teeth fixed is not a good alternative to 'bland'.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telenaut wrote: »
    Because just like the other BBC presenters, they are only there if they meet certain criteria or fill quotas, not because they have any ability to present or even engage an audience.

Konnie Huq, for example.

I haven't seen Konnie on in ages.
  • TelenautTelenaut Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »

She seems to have fallen under the radar somewhat but she has been known to pop up every now and then.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Asking if a top jockey us going to get his teeth fixed is not a good alternative to 'bland'.

She does have a bit of that Geoff Boycott like plain speaking about her.
    A good job she does not have his boring repetitiveness.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Possibly the gaffe is so well known because it's not what you would expect from Balding.

If Alex Jones said it people wouldn't bad an eyelid as it would be nothing out of the ordinary.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always seems mildly amusing to me that she now acts as if she's always been out and proud, and expects others to be the same, but I remember when she was on They Think It's All Over and she spent the entire episode supposedly flirting with all the men even though it was so obviously faked and palpably embarrassing for everyone else involved.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always seems mildly amusing to me that she now acts as if she's always been out and proud, and expects others to be the same, but I remember when she was on They Think It's All Over and she spent the entire episode supposedly flirting with all the men even though it was so obviously faked and palpably embarrassing for everyone else involved.

Are you just making stuff up now?
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not on everything (as your title asks) and she doesn't seem to be on everything either imo (as you alluded to in the first post). If she was/or seemed to be on everything (i.e. on majority of the shows on all the 5 terrestiral channels) then I'd get your point, but seeing as she isn't I think your point is a tad ott.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was Aled Jones. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    She had a great Olympics, then snapped up all opportunities that followed. You barely see her off our screens nowadays. This is a fact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

She has a child and Charlie Brooker is filthy rich thanks to his investment in Endemol. Between 8 Out Of 10 Cats, Big Brother's international profits, Black Mirror's The Complete History Of You being optioned by Robert Downey Jr and his wife to be made into a Hollywood movie, neither have to get off their bums to parade about on TV unless they want to these days.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching a little of 'Tonight at the Games'....Mark Chapman comes across like a tired funeral director.
  • gopher_uk1gopher_uk1 Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    She had a great Olympics, then snapped up all opportunities that followed. You barely see her off our screens nowadays. This is a fact.

99.997% of TV programmes shown in the UK do not have Clare Balding in them. That is a fact. Personal opinion does not equal fact. try doing some research.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    testcard wrote: »
    I don't think there's any danger of Claire becoming a stick insect in my lifetime.

There is a lot of pressure on women to be thin and pretty even when working for PC organisations like the BBC, look how Rebecca Adlington got a nose job before starting work for them.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    Well she likes sport so had I been that Jockey I'd have kept the 'banter' going "Yeah I'll get my teeth fixed when you put a bag over that fat head of yours"

That would have been funny, she can dish it out but she can't take it, gets mardy and plays the homophobia card.
  • pamlandypamlandy Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    ...because she licks err I beg your pardon, ticks all the boxes.
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    There is a lot of pressure on women to be thin and pretty even when working for PC organisations like the BBC, look how Rebecca Adlington got a nose job before starting work for them.
    I'm sure that if the BBC wanted Adlington, they would have signed her regardless of a nose job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    testcard wrote: »
    I'm sure that if the BBC wanted Adlington, they would have signed her regardless of a nose job.

Exactly. The determination on here to blame the BBC for most things is amazing. Adlington's desire to get a nose job has been well-publicised for ages. She says it's partly why she did I'm a Celebrity over at that nice ITV. But apparently now it's yet another BBC conspiracy. I suppose they're busy sawing off Kelly Hoppen's hooter at this very moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Are you just making stuff up now?

No, but thanks for asking.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »

I doubt whether the operation on her nose was anything to do with working for the BBC more, it is quite likely something she was wanted to do for years but did not want to take time out of training whilst a competitor. She has similarly lost a couple of stone. Some people, particularly women but not exclusively, like to improve their appearance.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a child and Charlie Brooker is filthy rich thanks to his investment in Endemol. Between 8 Out Of 10 Cats, Big Brother's international profits, Black Mirror's The Complete History Of You being optioned by Robert Downey Jr and his wife to be made into a Hollywood movie, neither have to get off their bums to parade about on TV unless they want to these days.

I can still hardly believe they are a real couple.