Confirmed: Ben Hardy leaving Eastenders

Comments

• J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Only the hot, blonde ones, J-B.

(If you ARE hot and blonde, I apologise.)

One out of two, I'll let you decide for yourselves which one :D
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    I think it just highlights DTCs lack of experience. I don;t think Santer would have ever killed Lucy off. In fact I don't think any other producer the show has had would have killed her either. It was extremly short sighted and that is now coming home to roost.

Agree with this. Lucy's death story is so random, it just doesn't tie in with any of the plots of Beale family or where the writers want to explore Ian's storyline. What's the sense in killing a character which seems so level headed and business savvy to all of a sudden a drug addict....where did it come from???

It's baffling.:confused:
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    One out of two, I'll let you decide for yourselves which one :D

Well if you're located between Lauren's legs, I'm guessing you're not blonde.

And that was by far the rudest thing I've ever written on here. :blush:
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Sad news,I do wonder what will happen with the character of Peter in the longterm.Another recast?How often is too often?
    Forum Member
    Contracts are funny things. He could be contracted for 60 episodes per year. If that's the case then he could appear in every episode from Christmas until he leaves and be gone by the spring.
    Oh I agree contracts are like that and the obligation is measured episode wise rather than number of months.
  • AngelaAngela Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that Ben is quitting doesn't have to imply that Peter is leaving or does it?? Here in the Netherlands we have had actors quitting the soap but their role was taken over by someone else.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No huge loss - A bit of a "so-so" actor.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    It seems with both Ben and Sam's exits they have been forced to reveal their exits as the rumours were strong of them leaving.

That's my take on it too. They would rather have kept them quiet until after Xmas at least and probably the Lucy reveal but it is beyond their control.
    Forum Member
    Angela wrote: »
    The fact that Ben is quitting doesn't have to imply that Peter is leaving or does it?? Here in the Netherlands we have had actors quitting the soap but their role was taken over by someone else.

Recasting immediately is quite common in many countries soaps (America and Australia principally) but it is incredibly rare in the UK. In fact I can't think of one example of it happening with an adult actor in over 55 years of Soap history.
    Forum Member
    What if they don't work out though? Then the producers are stuck with them for 2/3 years. There's a reason actors start out with 6/12 month contracts, neither side wants the risk of signing a long term contract straight away. The producers don't know how well the character will be received and that kind of commitment straight off the bat could put some actors off. Neither side is at fault here imo, it's just the way things are.

Also they may have offered him a longer contract and he refused, they can't force him to sign anything.

This is exactly it. If they signed every new casting on 2 or 3 year contracts we would have a lot of characters or actors that don't work out hanging around long after the audience wants them gone. They could just not feature them of course but they would still have to honour the financial commitments of the contract so effectively they are throwing that (license fee funded) money down the toilet which the money men just wouldn't stand for. There might even be legal complications about recasting the role for the duration of the contract.
    Forum Member
    Contracts are funny things. He could be contracted for 60 episodes per year. If that's the case then he could appear in every episode from Christmas until he leaves and be gone by the spring.

Yes, another good point. It may be for an episode count rather than a period of time so he could go quite soon.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps EE should sometimes be looking at lowering there expectations at actors, there is a reason why alot of the Corrie lot stay for years and years because they aren't good enough to be elsewhere. I'm not saying we want a cast of Tony Disciplines but unless the show is lucky enough to find more Lacey Turners and Jamie Borthwicks out there who are good actors and happy to commit long term the show will continue to find this happening of actors, especially the youngsters to go elsewhere after just a couple of years.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Recasting immediately is quite common in many countries soaps (America and Australia principally) but it is incredibly rare in the UK. In fact I can't think of one example of it happening with an adult actor in over 55 years of Soap history.

It happened last year in hollyoaks
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh FFS, just bring back Thomas Law now,

No need for a recast, again.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they will just replace the actor!?
    Forum Member
    It happened last year in hollyoaks

Oh yes, Holly. I'd forgoTten about her. She was a fairly minor character though (she's become much more prominent in the last year) and on the cusp of child/adult character and kids are recast more often. Also she'd only been there a few months.

It is one example though.
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These young actors are pissing me off with their inability to commit to contracts.

He committed fully to the terms of his contract :confused:

Fair play to him for not wanting to end up like Emmerdales' Kelvin Fletcher or Corrie's Ryan Thomas years down the line. .
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if this has thrown the spanner in the works for rewrites on the lucy storyline, or had Ben wanted to leave a while ago but they convinced him to stay on for the murder mystery.
  • secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Another recast?How often is too often?

A couple of Peters ago!
    Forum Member
    Bens favourited a few tweets about his possible hollywood roles so I suspect thats definitely were his heart and hopes lie.:)
    Forum Member
    A couple of Peters ago!

I wonder if theyll try and lure Thomas Law back?Not sure if thats wise but could be their line of thinking!
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So whens his contract up? Does he get it renewed yearly, because that will mean he leaves around April time, on screen until June? :confused:
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt they will recast again and if Ben becomes a big name actor they will always hang onto the hope he might pop back for a while and give the show some big PR.

I think he has got this role you know and I think the only reason EE have had to announce his exit is because of that. I bet they didn't want it revealed. If Peter is the killer then I wonder if they will change the outcome like they did with Peggy when Bab's let it slip she was leaving too early.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If i was DTC id be angry as 2 main players in the lucy storyline have now left

Shouldn't have left it so long till the reveal (10 months). Hope he's learned from this.
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Shouldn't have left it so long till the reveal (10 months). Hope he's learned from this.

I do lean towards agreeing with you.A 10 month mystery was a risk fraught venture.