Options

This is England 1990 airing September 13th

Comments

• Options
    SlingYerHookSlingYerHook Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep he was playing Harvey. When Shaun was walking back from school, the moment he met Woody and gang, he told them that his bullies name was Harvey (Woody took the piss out of his name)

Of course!! How could I forget that bit!

Cheers :)
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MANU_FC1 wrote: »
    Yesssssss Trudy the Cougar and Meggy's "Baby Mother" :D

Yeh it turned out that every lad from the group had been with her.
  • Options
    MANU_FC1MANU_FC1 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    The Matrix wrote: »
    [/B]
    Yes, each is a new season, over one year. Whereas 88 was all over in a few days!
    Very interesting way of doing things, I suspect we will see a slow decent into drug addiction for many of them.

88 was good drama, but a little too depressing for me and I worried Lol would die. :(
  • Options
    The MatrixThe Matrix Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    How long ago did every one first watch the film that got them hooked? I watched it in 2009.

Well before the 2010 series, but not as early as 2006 at the films release, so I would guess 2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigDuck wrote: »
    Well I have to say it didn't grab me like the other series did.

Maybe it's going to be a slow build up to something bigger, but this episode was fairly uneventful . Looks like Kelly is going to be come addicted to drugs or something, she seems to look out of it fairly often.

It's hard to feel sorry for Sean since he always screws things up. First cheating on Smell, and now beating up her new goth boyfriend. There was a severe lack of Smell in this episode, I hope we see more of her later.

Not really liking Flip and Higgy. Too over the top. Also, will we be seeing Banjo this series?

I didnt feel sorry for shaun never have done. Little bastard needs his ass kicked into shape which will probably happen this series. He is the product of a kid whos dad was killed because of thatch bitch. His constant lameness is the result of his mum putting up with his shit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    88 was good drama, but a little too depressing for me and I worried Lol would die. :(

Yeh so was i. But she didnt. Lol
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first conversation with Milky and Woody was well dodgy but it got better as it went on. Really not a fan of the slow montages though like at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeh so was i. But she didnt. Lol

What are we like!!

Such is my fondness for Lol as a character, I got all rapped up in her depression and really worried about her welfare, almost to the point of my enjoyment of the series.
    Having said that watching 88 back last month, I found Lols immortality and reunification with Woody a pleasure to watch. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didnt feel sorry for shaun never have done. Little bastard needs his ass kicked into shape which will probably happen this series. He is the product of a kid whos dad was killed because of thatch bitch. His constant lameness is the result of his mum putting up with his shit.

You're a bit harsh!! :(

I assume you're not a social worker or guidance councillor from Monday to Friday. He doesn't mean to be a little Bastard, he lost his dad thanks to that Thatch Bitch at a very impressionable time in his life. ;-)
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it picks up next week, I will stick with it but tonight's was terrible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I wonder which extra is the eBay winner?
  • Options
    Cletus Van DamnCletus Van Damn Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I was very disappointed with this. It wasn't funny, was way too cartoonish and had no plot. It was very self indulgent. We get it Shane Meadows, you like The Stone Roses!
  • Options
    phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only watched the first 10 minutes, acting was really bad and oh boy that Shaun is ugly.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was very disappointed with this. It wasn't funny, was way too cartoonish and had no plot. It was very self indulgent. We get it Shane Meadows, you like The Stone Roses!

yeah I felt the same. It's like it has become a parody of itself. And way to convenient they're all into the Manchester scene now. Woody really started to irritate me last series and this series it's no different. I find the actor tries to be too naturalistic like he's doing an ad-lib class at drama school. Vicky McClure has always been the standout
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going against the tide here, loved it, loved having them back, fantastic so far.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it.
    1990 I was 16 so it was a huge part of my growing up.
    Although I lived in Ireland, I was massively into the Manchester music and that Summer I went to my first festival where I saw The Farm, Happy Mondays, Charlatans, Blur, Primal Scream etc, so it felt very relevant to me.
    We wore those baggy Joe Bloggs jeans and Jackson Pollock style hoodies, so I found it very real.
    I am interested to see where the story goes next week, this was a nice light heated intro, but you just know there will be a more sinister story unfolding, there usually is.
    Some very funny moments where the 2 guys stoned were imitating Shauns girlfriend, I thought that was really funny! :)
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    yeah I felt the same. It's like it has become a parody of itself. And way to convenient they're all into the Manchester scene now. Woody really started to irritate me last series and this series it's no different. I find the actor tries to be too naturalistic like he's doing an ad-lib class at drama school. Vicky McClure has always been the standout

Good observation.
    Shane Meadows is known for that read-through then improvise style of acting.
    For me this is this show fails.
    I can see the actors struggling with what to say next and thinking too hard about their 'next move'. They come across as unrehearsed, amateur and ultimately the show feels poorly scripted and unready for TV.
  • Options
    The MatrixThe Matrix Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    I wonder which extra is the eBay winner?

Sorry, Ebay winner? Please elaborate what winner, what was the prize?
  • Options
    VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    I loved the film and the previous series and this first episode was brilliant. It has made me laugh more than all the comedy programmes that I've been watching recently. Milky going paranoid that Gadget was going to find out the contents of his leftovers bag were different from the other was so funny! And Shaun's mum going, "That sausage has seen better days, it's grey" :D
    She saying that "all that Manchester music was noise and they could do with a wash" was irony in disguise, I've read in an interview that the actress was a regular in the Manchester scene, especially in the Hacienda and if I'm not wrong it's where Shane Meadows knows her from.

I suppose all the people complaining that nothing happened forgot how miserable and bleak the previous two series were, so a bit of light relief was needed, otherwise it'd be way too gloomy, getting close to Mike Leigh territory, where there's endless misery and no joy in sight. I'm sure misery will come in due time.
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't exactly leave me wanting more.

Can't stand Vicky McClure so obviously that puts a downer on it for me.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    Didn't exactly leave me wanting more.

Can't stand Vicky McClure so obviously that puts a downer on it for me.

What is it that you can't stand about her? It's not like she's seen everywhere, so go on, let us have it, the cold hard truth.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't impressed.
    It seemed to be a really poor comedy drama, with lots of scenes which were supposed to be funny but weren't.
    The period didn't feel right as it felt that there were more references to the 80s than the 90s.
    Some really terrible acting. At points the timing was so off it was almost like watching a school nativity play.

It just didn't feel like authentic drama. It felt like a succession of comedy set pieces which weren't as funny as they appeared to think they were.

I remember This is England 1986 which was simply great drama. This was such a disappointment and was nowhere near the same standard of quality.

Joe Gilgun and Vicky McClure were the most convincing actors in it. If I'm honest they always were in this series along with Stephen Graham who I think is very impressive.
    You can get away with a cast of mostly 'non' actors as long as you can make everything else work around it, which I think this didn't achieve.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    Good observation.
    Shane Meadows is known for that read-through then improvise style of acting.
    For me this is this show fails.
    I can see the actors struggling with what to say next and thinking too hard about their 'next move'. They come across as unrehearsed, amateur and ultimately the show feels poorly scripted and unready for TV.

Yes, that's probably what I felt when I described the timing as being off in my post above.
    There's about 3 or 4 actors who can cope with it (that's including Stephen Graham who wasn't in the first episode), but when you've got so many 'non' actors they're going to struggle.

I also think Michael Socha isn't too bad as well and it appears that he has gradually got a bigger part in this due to becoming a more experienced actor in other things since he first appeared in this series. But there were parts where he too struggled with the timing and I saw him stumble a couple of times and get tongue-tied. Although I don't doubt that he would be okay working more closely to a script.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Going against the tide here, loved it, loved having them back, fantastic so far.

Agreed, it was just like inviting old friends back into your life
  • Options
    woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit disappointed.
    The scene with woodly , lol and his parents....everyone was talking over each other. I couldn't concentrate on what was being said , it was quite annoying.
    Didn't really like the drug taking scenes, made me feel bit uncomfortable.
    Also the scene with the 2 guys and the girl in the snooker room (?) Didn't find it funny at all, more disturbing .

Also woody looked strangely like loll's evil dad in that thick beard!!!

Hope the 2nd episode will be better