What's it like to work in Butlins?

2»

Comments

• AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Hell.
    Yeah. My brother did a stint at Minehead once and the hut they were sleeping in had it's door kicked in and his ghetto-blaster was stolen. I have to say that the idea of a holiday camp has never appealed to me. There's almost nothing about it that I would like. The bar and perhaps restaurant(s) would be about all and I have my doubts about the food.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Yeah. My brother did a stint at Minehead once and the hut they were sleeping in had it's door kicked in and his ghetto-blaster was stolen. I have to say that the idea of a holiday camp has never appealed to me. There's almost nothing about it that I would like. The bar and perhaps restaurant(s) would be about all and I have my doubts about the food.

Thats nothing. When i was working at Skegness, one of the guys who was also a part time Elvis impersonator was burgled by his next door neighbour who broke in through the plasterboard wall that seperated the 2 chalets.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I worked at Bognor in the early 90's in the bar. It was during the winter season, so we had all week off and worked from Friday-Sunday/Monday morning for the event weekends. The hours were hard
    Friday 6:60pm - Saturday 3am
    Saturday 11:00am - 5pm then 7:00pm through till maybe 5am Sunday Morning
    Sunday Morning 11:00 maybe midday - 5pm, then 7pm till about 2 or 3 am Monday Morning

It was hard work, but great fun. I lived off my tips (£50 - £80) a night, never used to touch my wages.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »

Butlins do self catering.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked at the Bognor one in the mid 90's as part of the work placement scheme, the wages were more or less slave labour at £1.69 an hour, but we did get food type stuff for breakfast / lunch / dinner & the sex was great. But other than that it was hell, especially when they rented out the entire camp to Jehovah Witnesses for an entire week, all the arcades were closed & all the bars with exception to the staff bar, were closed.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    I worked at Bognor in the early 90's in the bar. It was during the winter season, so we had all week off and worked from Friday-Sunday/Monday morning for the event weekends. The hours were hard
    Friday 6:60pm - Saturday 3am
    Saturday 11:00am - 5pm then 7:00pm through till maybe 5am Sunday Morning
    Sunday Morning 11:00 maybe midday - 5pm, then 7pm till about 2 or 3 am Monday Morning

It was hard work, but great fun. I lived off my tips (£50 - £80) a night, never used to touch my wages.
    I worked at the Bognor one in the mid 90's as part of the work placement scheme, the wages were more or less slave labour at £1.69 an hour, but we did get food type stuff for breakfast / lunch / dinner & the sex was great. But other than that it was hell, especially when they rented out the entire camp to Jehovah Witnesses for an entire week, all the arcades were closed & all the bars with exception to the staff bar, were closed.

Maybe we should start a club :D

No idea what it would be like these days but I worked in Butlin's Bognor Regis in 1966! so I'm sure it would be vastly different. I worked as a barmaid for 3 months and it was great fun. There was a pro/celebrity golf match on while I was there, the only actors I can remember being there were Sean Connery and Stanley Baker (Zulu amongst other things)
    Those who were asked to work in the bar for them had to wear black dress/trousers. I saw SB in the bar (and lots of others I can't remember) but SC didn't come in ^_^ I remember watching England win the World Cup while I was there too. I really enjoyed it.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    I don't know about recently, so this is probably not much help, but I did a season as a very young woman in the early 80s.

Lots of very young people away from home for the first time, very hard work, but pride in.

Far too much drink and sex, and an eye opener socially.

I sort of loved it - one season was enough mind.

I'm saying nothing about the drink and sex, except that when filling the shelves one day I was thirsty and one of the other girls was drinking a bottle of coke. I only wanted a little drink so asked if I could have some. She said get one yourself, I said I only want a mouthful, we went back and forth a couple of times and someone then said to her, let her have a drink which she did. I took a big swig only to discover it had rum in it urgh! :D

One of the girls was from a little town in Scotland and had only seen one black person before, she was amazed how many there were :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I would absolutely hate it. all of those kids around. HOW AWFUL!
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Thats nothing. When i was working at Skegness, one of the guys who was also a part time Elvis impersonator was burgled by his next door neighbour who broke in through the plasterboard wall that seperated the 2 chalets.

Sounds about right.

Drug addicts, alcoholics (one bloke tried drinking aftershave), violent ex criminals - a really lovely bunch of people to live and work with.

Hell is other people.

That was the late '90's.

Perhaps it is different now.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasen't a Butlins, but I worked at a holiday camp in the 80's and it was awful. I worked in the arcade - sometimnes as cashier, sometimes as security and we were expected to do extra hours without overtime, and finishing times were extended so some nights I was expected to work till 1am, then be back in for 6am (I lived off site a 20 min drive away). There were supposed to be 2 in the arcade but sometime if you were alone you couldn't take a meal break or toilet break as the arcade couldn't be left unattended.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we should start a club :D

No idea what it would be like these days but I worked in Butlin's Bognor Regis in 1966! so I'm sure it would be vastly different. I worked as a barmaid for 3 months and it was great fun. There was a pro/celebrity golf match on while I was there, the only actors I can remember being there were Sean Connery and Stanley Baker (Zulu amongst other things)
    Those who were asked to work in the bar for them had to wear black dress/trousers. I saw SB in the bar (and lots of others I can't remember) but SC didn't come in ^_^ I remember watching England win the World Cup while I was there too. I really enjoyed it.

Another one for the club here then, I worked in Butlins Bognor in '89, so again, not sure how it compares to now but I had a good time there. I worked as a kitchen porter in the steak restaurant, it was 6 1/2 hours a day, 6 days a week. The wages were rubbish, but you got all your food provided (also rubbish), accommodation (rubbish, and vey dangerous, the second biggest fire risk in the county, the first being a chemical plant) but it was fun,. You're with a load of people around your own age all out for a laugh. For the vast majority it's just a holiday job so nobody takes it that serious, and once you work out your fiddles and get in with the bar staff and other people who work in retail/food outlets you can make the terrible money go a bit further.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    What's it like to work in Butlins?
    Don't!