Claire Balding, why is she on everything?

Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
Forum Member
✭✭
This woman just lately seems to be on everything sports related, I know she comes from a horsey background, but just lately she seems to want to front or present all sports programmes, she's even got some animal programme coming on TV very soon, what the **** does she know about animals, was she a vet in the past, I bet not!!!>:(

Don't get me wrong , I'm sure she is a nice person in real life, but at least try giving other presenters a chance to have a go at doing a show.

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, she is in danger of getting overexposed but broadcasters see her as a very safe pair of hands especially on live events.

In terms of animals, her autobiography was called "My Animals and Other Family" and she grew up on a farm so I suspect so does know a fair bit about animals.
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Apparently, following the Olympics, she was officially declared a "National Treasure". Personally I find she lacks warmth as a presenter.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her. She excels at Crufts and anything horse related, she really knows her stuff. BUT the BBC have a really bad habit of using the same people in everything and boring us to death with them.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of those mysteries, bit like who actually finds Alan Carr funny?
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find her insufferable. Always comes across as rather snooty and rude to me.

The country, as a whole, seems to love her for some reason though.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    She had dinner with the queen dont you know
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    I really like her.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claire Balding, why is she on everything?

Because lazy TV producers are unwilling to take risks by getting new talent to front their shows and just take the default option of a safe pair of hands instead.

I'm old enough to remember when TV presenters were only able to appear on ONE channel and ONE channel only - which prevented them getting over-exposed.
  • Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's covering he Commonwealth Games morning to night, I'm sure she will no doubt be on ITV or Channel 4 on something over the next few weeks and has her own show on Sky Sports, come on give it a rest love, her agent must be on over time booking her into everything. I used to like her but when we see you on all the time, it does wind me up something chronic.
  • UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I also don't understand how this woman is on everything either.

I think there are very few good presenters these days. It becomes especially obvious when you watch the old gameshows on Challenge with great presenters.

I'd rather see Terry Wogan on everything, at least he's chilled out and actually seems genuinely likeable..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well it could be becaue

A)
    She ticks *all* the boxes....

1) woman - tick
    2) not particularly attractive - tick
    3) of a certain age - tick
    4) bats for the other team - tick

BBC commissioning agent cums in his pants in excitement at the full house of the box tickers

or
    B) She's pretty goods at her job and is popular with great British public

Applying Occam's Razor we conclude the answer is B)
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    I think that one of the main problems is that so much television today has to be presenter-led. Forget the content - as long as we're seeing a well-known face/personality/celebrity, then the Great British Public will watch anything.
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember seeing her on TV since Sport Relief. She does horse racing but that isn't on a huge amount and she does her show on BT, which not that many people have access to. I don't see a problem with her being on - she's good at her job.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    She's covering he Commonwealth Games morning to night, I'm sure she will no doubt be on ITV or Channel 4 on something over the next few weeks and has her own show on Sky Sports,

She is only doing the Commonwealth coverage in the evenings.
    She has never worked for ITV
    She didn't even do the Winter Paralympics for C4 this year
    She has no show on Sky Sports, she has an interview show on BT.

Have you considered a career in tabloid journalism?
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's weird. A few people in the media start claiming she's a "national treasure" and has a gift and people buy it for some reason.

Because she is a lesbian? Her family is well conected and knows the Queen?
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    JB92 wrote: »
    I can't remember seeing her on TV since Sport Relief. She does horse racing but that isn't on a huge amount and she does her show on BT, which not that many people have access to. I don't see a problem with her being on - she's good at her job.

I haven't seen her on tv since the Winter Olympics.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Because lazy TV producers are unwilling to take risks by getting new talent to front their shows and just take the default option of a safe pair of hands instead.

I'm old enough to remember when TV presenters were only able to appear on ONE channel and ONE channel only - which prevented them getting over-exposed.

That is why she was lead presenter for Wimbledon, World Cup ...... Oooops, she was not on either as far as I remember.

It is a common thing on TV, in events like the Commonwealth Games she will be on every day so someone is bound to post that she is never off their screens. The same would happen if they used an unknown - experiments in using unknowns usually end in disaster anyway. You get the same on non-sports programmes, a couple of series get shown around the same time with the same person and there are the usual 'never off the screens claims'.

She is very good at her job so it is hardly surprising that she is often used for big events.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I find her insufferable. Always comes across as rather snooty and rude to me.

The country, as a whole, seems to love her for some reason though.

She doesn't really bother me. I just simply switch to a different channel (any channel) whenever she's on. If she's on them all I'll just switch off and do something useful like mop my kitchen floor.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    That is why she was lead presenter for Wimbledon, World Cup ...... Oooops, she was not on either as far as I remember.

Actually, she was the lead presenter on Wimbledon but for Radio 5 after John Inverdale got the boot after his unfortunate comments last year

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/22/bbc-john-inverdale-clare-balding-5-live-wimbledon-marion-bartoli
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she is very good at whatever she does
    Would you sooner have Sue Barker or the monotonous Hazel Irvine
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why am I seen in my workplace for 40-45 hours per week, because I am paid and contracted to do so.

While my job is worlds apart from hers, the principle is similar. She is merely doing a job.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    She's hardly on everything, best sports presenter on BBC so of course she will lead the Commonwealth games team
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    She's covering he Commonwealth Games morning to night, I'm sure she will no doubt be on ITV or Channel 4 on something over the next few weeks and has her own show on Sky Sports, come on give it a rest love, her agent must be on over time booking her into everything. I used to like her but when we see you on all the time, it does wind me up something chronic.
    Personally I can't recall seeing her on TV since the Olympics. She probably has presented something since but she can't have been that intrusive as I can't remember it.

As for being a safe pair of hands - that is a good thing for multi-event live sports.
    She does her homework to atleast try to be up with the rules and competitiors taking part.

She seems very professional in that way.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, she is very professional.

Why is it an issue for some people that the likes of Balding get a lot of work?

She is good at her job and seems to enjoy it, so comes across as genuine as well as knowledgeable and professional.

As others have said, it isn't like she is hogging the screens all day every day anyway.

Why is this even a problem worthy of discussion?
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's always been ruthlessly ambitious. And she clearly finds it a treat to be who she is, so she wants to share it with the rest of us. My heart sank when she got so much wildly over-generous praise for a few competent performances covering the Olympics, because I knew she'd seize the moment and grab every opportunity that came from it. And she did. But I still find it quite easy to avoid her.