Room sharing for work

124»

Comments

• Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Candy39 wrote: »
    The company I work for is organising a company away day (compulsory however I think allowances are made) which involves an overnight stay.

We have been told that we have to room share however we can pay the difference in cost if we would like our own room.

I was looking forward to the trip away and thought it was a nice thing for the boss to do however I really do not want to share a room with anyone and am not willing to pay the difference (nearly £60 may not be a lot to some but I work part time so not affordable to me). We have a stupidly early flight out on day 1 and return really late on day 2 and the thought of not having any privacy during that time is really making me feel a bit annoyed !

Just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation ?

I don't travel for work so this is a one off for this 'event' and I can understand the need to keep costs down but just seems a bit weird to me

What if your other half is not happy about you staying overnight or if you have children that no-one else can look after. So is it compulsory for them too?

You're also having to leave early/come back later - do you get paid overtime for this?

Personally I understand why you're upset at having to share a room. I've been away on company business before but have ALWAYS had my own room. It's the thing I look forward to - going back to the room, checking the toiletries etc, making a cuppa and putting on the tv all on my own. But it sounds like you've got no choice in this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No we don't get paid overtime - though I guess you could argue that getting a nice dinner etc is the companies way of 'paying' you.
    There are some that said quite early on that they couldn't manage due to childcare so they are just coming in to work as normal. Initially I was the same and would have been working but managed to sort out childcare
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    No we don't get paid overtime - though I guess you could argue that getting a nice dinner etc is the companies way of 'paying' you.
    There are some that said quite early on that they couldn't manage due to childcare so they are just coming in to work as normal. Initially I was the same and would have been working but managed to sort out childcare

just say your babysitter has cancelled at the last minute and you cant find cover
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I have been in this situation, twice, the first time the hotel made a mistake and gave us a private room each.

The second time I paid for another room when I turned up, the other bloke offered half without me asking.

I just cannot sleep easily with a stranger in the room. Fine in hospital though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The company I work for is organising a company away day (compulsory however I think allowances are made) which involves an overnight stay.

We have been told that we have to room share however we can pay the difference in cost if we would like our own room.

I was looking forward to the trip away and thought it was a nice thing for the boss to do however I really do not want to share a room with anyone and am not willing to pay the difference (nearly £60 may not be a lot to some but I work part time so not affordable to me). We have a stupidly early flight out on day 1 and return really late on day 2 and the thought of not having any privacy during that time is really making me feel a bit annoyed !

Just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation ?

I don't travel for work so this is a one off for this 'event' and I can understand the need to keep costs down but just seems a bit weird to me

Just re-read this - if your boss is paying for FLIGHTS for you all then surely he can afford to pay for separate rooms. Why is the away day not a car journey away - it seems a bit strange to fly you all somewhere then pay for a room (that you have to share) wouldn't it be better being closer so the company don't have to pay for the flight but could at least afford an individual room. Do you actually know who you will be sharing with?
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to share with a colleague at a works conference

Apparently my snoring kept him awake most of the night and he looked shattered the next day

(I can sleep through anything)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just re-read this - if your boss is paying for FLIGHTS for you all then surely he can afford to pay for separate rooms. Why is the away day not a car journey away - it seems a bit strange to fly you all somewhere then pay for a room (that you have to share) wouldn't it be better being closer so the company don't have to pay for the flight but could at least afford an individual room. Do you actually know who you will be sharing with?

we did try to suggest somewhere in the UK to keep the costs down but it sounded like he wanted a wee jolly somewhere ! Needless to say he was first to say he was having his own room !
    He said everyone in the company was paid well enough to cover the cost if they wanted their own room.
    I am not complaining about my salary, it is fine but I literally have nothing left the last week before payday so just wasn't an option (I am probably the lowest paid in the company tho !)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we did try to suggest somewhere in the UK to keep the costs down but it sounded like he wanted a wee jolly somewhere ! Needless to say he was first to say he was having his own room !
    He said everyone in the company was paid well enough to cover the cost if they wanted their own room.
    I am not complaining about my salary, it is fine but I literally have nothing left the last week before payday so just wasn't an option (I am probably the lowest paid in the company tho !)

If that's the case he should foot the costs.

I think, if it were me - going outside of the UK for 2 days, having to up really early to catch flight and then get home really late - I'd probably wonder if it was worth it.

Is it during the week so you will get a couple of skivey days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's the case he should foot the costs.

I think, if it were me - going outside of the UK for 2 days, having to up really early to catch flight and then get home really late - I'd probably wonder if it was worth it.

Is it during the week so you will get a couple of skivey days?

Yeah it is during the week so guess you could call it skivey days ! To me it is 2 full days of being around folk and making small talk ! I am quite quiet and shy so the thought scares me I much prefer just being on my own but needs must as they say !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The business must be doing well if they can afford to pay for flights, overnight stay etc and 2 days off work for all staff - maybe it's time you should ask for a pay rise!
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Perhaps book a cheap b&B instead
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    It's one night. I fail to see what the problem is here.

That's why it's a problem for the OP. Not everyone is robust.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt realise it was abroad, what if like me your passport is expired and you have no intention of getting it renewed because you dont holiday abroad because of your dog? Is it still compulsory then?

And if others are going into work those 2 days then how come you have to take annual leave?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had confirmation from ACAS that employers can enforce you to use holidays as long as they give you double the notice.
    Ie my company meeting is 2 days so if I couldn't go then as long as my employer has to given me at least 4 days notice he is within the law.
    I'm entitled to put in a grievance as in this case he is singling me out but I think we all know how far that would get me!

Anyway thought I'd let you all know the outcome in case you're ever in this situation
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just go,share a room. Cough all night,get up and go to toilet flush the loo 2 or 3 times each trip. Get your own back. They complain then tell them it a medical condition that is none of their business.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    bigalt wrote: »
    Just go,share a room. Cough all night,get up and go to toilet flush the loo 2 or 3 times each trip. Get your own back. They complain then tell them it a medical condition that is none of their business.

Why take it out on the person that is sharing with the OP?

Seems like a stupid solution to me.