Do Monday - Friday, 9 - 5 jobs still exist??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been applying for alot of jobs lately and one thing that I've noticed is that most adverts are saying "candidates must be fully flexible to work any 5 days out of 7".

I guess I have no problem working weekends but I always thought the majority of jobs were Monday - Friday. :p It's a bit crap because your rota would change every week and you couldn't really make plans far ahead, and I guess if you had a working week where you had a Tuesday and a Friday off, you can't really go out and get drunk or go for an overnight anywhere as you'd have work the next day whereas a Saturday/Sunday off schedule would at least guarantee you 2 days off back to back. It's also a pain if you want to commit to a volunteer job/study part time and you're never sure what days you're going to be working or not. :(

Comments

• ParashootistParashootist Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Yeah, they do. There's always a market for the lazy feckers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, they do. There's always a market for the lazy feckers.

What kind of jobs? I'm guessing not retail, hospitality or call centres...
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I thought most office jobs were still either 9 to 5 or 9:30 to 5 or 9 to 5:30?

I used to prefer the 09:30 to 5:00 jobs though ;-)

And I was ready to go by ten to five....:D
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    My job is Monday-Friday 9-5 (well 8-4 in my case), no weekends and Christmas and Easter off every year. Office based jobs tend to be Monday-Friday, not always 9-5 but generally Monday-Friday.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want anything but mon-fri 9-5. You have to contend with packed places on the weekend.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not really.

Especially in retail and call centres they now open later some call centres go into the night like 11pm now. Some shops even open on New Years Day now. Shops like longer hours till 8pm at retail parks and 10pm in large shopping cities.

If your lucky you get a dayshift, if your unlucky and a student it's backshift.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is 9 - 5pm, Monday to Friday. Get every weekend off as well as bank holiday's. Also, our office is closed for a period of time over Christmas, so if I also use a bit of annual leave along with that, I end up having quite a long time off over Xmas! I do in a way feel quite lucky though, as it seems 9 - 5 jobs are changing and slowly becoming few and far between. A lot of 9 - 5 jobs now involve you having to work one day at the weekend and you get to have one day off in the week. Also, changing rotas on a weekly basis etc.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    Mine's pretty much Monday - Friday 9-5. Well, in my case 08.30 - 16.30. All weekends and Bank Holidays off.
  • london79london79 Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    My job is Monday-Friday 9-5 (well 8-4 in my case), no weekends and Christmas and Easter off every year. Office based jobs tend to be Monday-Friday, not always 9-5 but generally Monday-Friday.

Same here 8am - 4pm- always getting funny looks when I leave the office at 4pm - People forget I am at work at 8am when they are still having breakfast :D
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are plenty of Mon-Fri jobs. Not necessarily 9-5, as working house are more flexible these days, but most office jobs will be Mon-Fri unless the workload is busy and you need to do overtime at weekends.

Personally, I do 8-4.30. I do compressed hours, so work half an hour longer every day to get a day off every three weeks. So I do 7.5 hours rather than 7.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do, I was in one in the run up to Christmas.

Although I volutarily worked 51 hours over 6 days, so 8-5:30 weekdays and 8-2 Saturday.

The job I have just applies for isn't 9-5 though.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well everyone where I work does 35 or 40 hours Monday to Friday
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most offices have much more flexibility now. Ostensibly I work a 9-5, but our 'window' is 8-8 for the purposes of flexi, so some days I'll start earlier and leave earlier, sometimes vice versa. Occasionally I might work 8 until 5,6,7 or 8 and bank the excess hours. Depends really. I get bank holidays off too, and 32 days holiday in addition.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do 7.30 -5.30 mon-fri and one Saturday in three 8-12 pretty much standard for my industry though
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Yes, they are very common.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    My hours are 9am to 5pm Monday-Thursday with a 4.30pm finish on Friday.

I can work for longer if I like, which isn't hard for me to do as I am home office based, but it's not expected of me. As long as the work gets done, I could work a 25 hour week and nobody would bat an eyelid.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My job is 37.5 hours Mon-Fri.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hours are 9am to 5pm Monday-Thursday with a 4.30pm finish on Friday.

I can work for longer if I like, which isn't hard for me to do as I am home office based, but it's not expected of me. As long as the work gets done, I could work a 25 hour week and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Same here, sort if. In most modern offices it's much more about quality outcomes and performance in getting those, rather than just mindlessly filling hours.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work a compressed week and get Fridays off - so 4 long days a week. No weekend working. Generous leave entitlement. WAH as and when I want to. I work in the public sector. Make of that what you will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask what kind of job everyone has then? Are these entry level type jobs?
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want 9-5 Monday to Friday make sure you aim your education towards that.

I work 7:30 to 15:40. We get good holidays - 41.5 days a year plus bank holidays. I will another 3.5 days in 4 years. Other things like the pension are pretty good as well. I have worked shifts in the past but you have to set your own priorities and having time with friends and family is more important than extra money to me.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is 9-5 Monday to Friday.

It's bliss having every weekend off and every bank holiday and 3.5 weeks a year paid leave and 2 weeks off over Christmas/New Year. Long may it continue!
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    One thing I've always wondered (I've never really worked) is why it has to be 8 hours, why not just 6 like school was, there's isn't much left in the day, and anybody I know that works it's hard to even see them!

And as many are unemployed, why not have shorter shifts (ideally with better wages) shared between more people.

I also think the weekend and bank holidays should be more protected, as ever day will end up being the same and losing its character.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    Yes our office is 9am-5pm although I work 8:30am to 4:15pm, although in reality I work much more than that. I don't think I've ever worked on the weekend or a bank holiday. I would if it was offered to me and I received the same enhanced pay as our operational staff. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in a school and do 8.30 - 4.30pm (4pm on Friday). I work term time plus 4 weeks. Its great as I only live 5 mins away too so I get home in time to enjoy the evening. Used to commute what should have been 30 mins each way but was usually more like an hour and that was a pain, I took a slight pay cut for this job because of the hours and location.