Sticking with Windows 7 or 8 to avoid being spied on ? Read this

2»

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    MS can now install anything they want, thus they as good as own it.
    Strictly speaking this has always been the case. You purchase a license to use the software in accordance with their EULA, be it MS or anyone else. Aside from maybe a nominal charge for the media itself you don't technically own anything.
  • Terry PurvisTerry Purvis Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    If you want to stop Windows 7 sending stuff back to Microsoft, do the following.

1. Open a command prompt as Administrator (right click to do this)

2. Then type and enter two commands:

sc Stop Diagtrack
    sc delete Diagtrack.

3. Uninstall these Windows updates:

KB3080149
    KB3068708
    KB3075249
    KB3022345

4. Restart computer

5. Check Windows Updates as the above will be offered again.

6. Right click on each of the unwanted updates and select "Hide Update".
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to stop Windows 7 sending stuff back to Microsoft, do the following.

1. Open a command prompt as Administrator (right click to do this)

2. Then type and enter two commands:

sc Stop Diagtrack
    sc delete Diagtrack.

3. Uninstall these Windows updates:

KB3080149
    KB3068708
    KB3075249
    KB3022345

4. Restart computer

5. Check Windows Updates as the above will be offered again.

6. Right click on each of the unwanted updates and select "Hide Update".

Thanks for that but I have a question. If you choose to hide the snooping updates, will it still let you install all the updates that come after?
  • GortGort Posts: 7,465
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Thanks for that but I have a question. If you choose to hide the snooping updates, will it still let you install all the updates that come after?

Future updates will still be able to be installed. If you mean the ones that you hid getting resubmitted by MS, then they'll become unhidden. You'll need to look out for those, because they're bound to be reintroduced again due to fixes/enhancements (or MS being bloody-minded about it). If they appear again, then just hide them again.

Then again, they might just change the number or introduce some other telemetry updates. Keep your eyes peeled and keep abreast with the discussion.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »

Alternatively, stop listening to the pathetic hype that is being spouted and get on with important things in you life.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine the security services are pretty upset at Facebook and how so many people will hand over their entire life history, friends, relatives, jobs and locations they visit without a peep while they are vilified for wanting to do the same.

It would not surprise me if hacking Facebook was top of the NSA and MI5/6's to do list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I imagine the security services are pretty upset at Facebook and how so many people will hand over their entire life history, friends, relatives, jobs and locations they visit without a peep while they are vilified for wanting to do the same.

It would not surprise me if hacking Facebook was top of the NSA and MI5/6's to do list.

What has this has got to do with the price of chips?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you well know, Im very wary of 10, but you have to admit, some of the stuff they do get right.
    Facebook, well they are just another Google, if you don't want the free web services, you can leave. A bit of healthy cynicism about them both is useful.

But you have to stay open minded on pretty much everything
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

What has this has got to do with the price of chips?

It's about spying on people, which is what Microsoft seem to want to do now.

But you are right, on second inspection it does have absolutely nothing to do with the price of a bag of chips. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

It's about spying on people, which is what Microsoft seem to want to do now.

But you are right, on second inspection it does have absolutely nothing to do with the price of a bag of chips. :p

Spying has been going on virtually since governmental systems developed.

Your post is hardly a revelation and actually nothing to do with MS unless you can prove MS are acting on behalf of government agencies.

The much bigger risk of using social media is from much more mundane sources eg the classic "Hi all, I'm off to Spain for a week" followed by "I was burgled when I got back from Spain".

I doubt even the dumbest terrorist or paedophile is going to use facebook to formulate plans etc. There are much darker places I'm sure that they would frequent.

Frankly, I am now getting pretty bored to death with the whole spying paranoia.