• U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nadal pulls out of US Open with a wrist injury
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Shame. I guess it was inevitable with no lead up tournaments.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate that Nadal will miss out through injury (and pride I suspect..). But i'm very happy this gives Federer a chance to claim the US Open.
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame for Rafa. Thought he'd recover. For the best if he's not fit though. Guess this puts to bed a the fake talk from a certain someone a few weeks back eh? Anyway the guy wouldn't miss ANY tournament unless he was GENUINELY injured, especially as he is DEFENFING champion, therefore sacrificing 1000 points and another slam defence. I'm sad as I was looking forward to seeing him playing again but his health and fitness is the main priority.

Novak definitely has no1 sewn up this year now. I hope he or Fed win the US. I'm more inclined to pull for Fed as I'd like him win no18 but id also like Novak. Anyone but Murray for me though.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,263
    Forum Member
    That's disappointing. I was hoping it was more precautionary than that, but there's no point risking further injury if the wrist isn't fully up to it yet.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey I've apologized twice already:(

Daveed is a good player but his attitude is so defeatist against the top guys. Like when he admitted to giving up against Nadal when he was actually winning! I've never heard anything like it :o

But the reason I dislike him is because of the incidents where he shoved linesmen out of the way. Totally classless and disgusting behaviour! Can't believe he didn't get punished for that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry: Rafa.

Grand Slams are not the same without all the top guys.
  • ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    My poor little warrior.:cry: I had the champagne on ice at 5 - 0 in the second set.:(

Never mind. He'll do it next time - y'all can put your houses on it.;-):D

Poor Daveed :cry: - I keep hoping, but he's not getting any younger :( Well done to Fed though :)

Gutted Rafa's out of the US Open too :cry::( - maybe Uncle Toni should tell him he's taking the whole faking injury thing a bit too far?! ;-)
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame for Rafa. Thought he'd recover. For the best if he's not fit though. Guess this puts to bed a the fake talk from a certain someone a few weeks back eh? Anyway the guy wouldn't miss ANY tournament unless he was GENUINELY injured, especially as he is DEFENFING champion, therefore sacrificing 1000 points and another slam defence. I'm sad as I was looking forward to seeing him playing again but his health and fitness is the main priority.

Novak definitely has no1 sewn up this year now. I hope he or Fed win the US. I'm more inclined to pull for Fed as I'd like him win no18 but id also like Novak. Anyone but Murray for me though.

He'll lose 2000 for the USO. Fed is rapidly closing in on him.
    Fed must be feeling so confident going into the USO. I'm going with him to win. If Djoko gets a bad draw I can see him going out early. He has loads of points to defend at the end of the year and when the baby comes along ........ well who knows.
    Wouldn't it be amazing if Fed got back to No 1. :o
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nole is the bookies favourite but I would actually put Roger first. He is definitely in better form than Novak at the moment. We shall see what happens. It will be interesting to see how Murray, Tsonga, Berdych, Dimitrov, Raonic and Stanimal do.
    Forum Member
    lyn2 wrote: »
    Fed must be feeling so confident going into the USO. I'm going with him to win. If Djoko gets a bad draw I can see him going out early. He has loads of points to defend at the end of the year and when the baby comes along ........ well who knows.

It truly would be, to be honest great as he is I didn't see him being in the running for it again or even anywhere near, just shows what a champ he is!
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Daveed :cry: - I keep hoping, but he's not getting any younger :( Well done to Fed though :)

Gutted Rafa's out of the US Open too :cry::( - maybe Uncle Toni should tell him he's taking the whole faking injury thing a bit too far?! ;-)

I'm so gutted to hear about Rafa.:cry: I really hoped he'd play although I didn't expect him to progress very far.

The boy is obviously into method acting - maybe a career in Hollywood beckons.;-)
    Forum Member
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    I'm so gutted to hear about Rafa.:cry: I really hoped he'd play although I didn't expect him to progress very far.

The boy is obviously into method acting - maybe a career in Hollywood beckons.;-)

:D I can almost see the talent scouts hunting him down as we speak

Seriously though, I didn't have great expectations but was looking forward to him being back, the absences are getting too frequent for my liking :(
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andy has done the ice bucket challenge for charidee :

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/andy-murray-gets-bucket-ice-132024713.html

:D:D
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »

I knew he'd sacrifice 2000 so I don't know why I wrote 1000. Must be thinking of the 2 Masters but 2000 of his total puts Roger very close to him. He really could get no2 or no1 by the end of the year. I'd love a guy who's just turned 33 to be no1. What a fairytale!!!

Djoko has no form or confidence but over 5 he'll be hard to beat. He went undefeated after the US last year so unless his form improves I think he could struggles and as you say, a new baby coming soon, who knows? It makes it interesting if he doesn't have a good end of year.

You know its probably Rafa's award-winning acting that made me make the point mistake. I mean after all this acting I'm not surprised I was thrown off. The Oscars next year I sure he'll win best actor. Uncle Toni will win best supporting actor as well.

Hopefully this stops the faker statements. Its ridiculous IMO to even think like that but I'm not getting into that;-)
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great that there'll be no Nole-Nadal final. It appears to be very open this year, but it'll more than likely be the usual suspects there at the end. Federer-Djokovic final would be quite good actually.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Andy will be seeded no 8. The next level down woul have been harder.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Disappointing for Nadal, 2014 has been a pretty meh year for him by his high standards. He's only won about 3 titles is it, all on clay where he's usually unbeatable? And there's still an asterix beside the Nishikori win at Barcelona

Depending on the draw it could be a golden opportunity for someone new to make a final. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if it were a Novak/Federer/Murray/Wawrinka semi combination

I still think Novak will win it out but at least it won't be another Nadal/Djok final always nice to have something new

A lot are saying this gives Roger a great chance to win but I wouldn't be all that confident, he did well at Cincinatti the last two years and had an awful US Open on both occasions. I still think he's fairly beatable, and is being pretty overrated. Djokovic should have beaten him by more at Wimbledon.

wawrinka is a bit of an enigma and Berdych can't be trusted. Ferrer isn't good enough anymore. Gulbis is as likely to go out in round 1 than go deep. Dimitrov despite beating an awful Murray at Wimbledon still has a lot to prove in Grand Slam tennis.

I'd love to see Tsonga go deep but which Jo will turn up? 2014 has been an awful year for Murray but he's showing a bit more glimpses now. Nadal pulling out gives him a kinder seeding too and the best of 5 format will suit him more than the last few tournaments.

All in all it does have the makings of an exciting tournament but I do think we'll see Novak winning it relatively comfortably beating Fed or maybe even Murray in the final probably

Andy will need to sort out his serve but as we saw at the French he'll still beat most guys over best of 5

A serve alone won't win you Grand Slams these days and while Raonic's all round game has improved it's still not good enough to beat the top guys at slams

So the final slam of 2014 (where has the year gone?) and while I'd love to say I'm looking forward to it, the US never really does it for me with it's bizarre scheduling and constant delays. Shame, as I think it has the potential to be the best slam

In the women's despite her indifferent form this year you'd be brave to oppose Serena
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post CGG
    The US scheduling has never been fair to the players.
    Novak, Fed and and any American still in will get most of the night matches
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sad about Rafa, I had hoped with it being a right wrist problem he would be fit enough, but it's not to be. I saw pictures of him practicing in the US Open kit, and part of me wondered if he was wearing it when he knew he would be photographed because he knew he wasn't going to the US Open. Got to sell some shirts somehow.

I would love Roger to win, how amazing would that be?... Actually i'm not sure if it would be a good thing, it wouldn't say much about the current guys in the atp would it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleased Judy Murray has been confirmed for SCD.
    One problem might be that she hates wearing dresses.
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Pleased Judy Murray has been confirmed for SCD.
    One problem might be that she hates wearing dresses.

Would have been more fun if it was Andy.:D
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching the Federer/Djokovic 2007 final?
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow.... Surprised to see that.

Though Im sure hell be back again. Hes been injured 300 times and always managed to come back
This discussion has been closed.