The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• LushnessLushness Posts: 38,131
    Forum Member
    It's so nice to be able to watch the US open at the same time as the Americans and not having to fight sleep. ESPN is crap though, no multiscreen. :(

Here's hoping for a good tournament.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Currently having a 'b*tch stole my look!' Fashion Police moment. :p

:D:D Stan takes the 2nd set TB.
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes someone on here went to Barcelona this year. I think it was Nathers.

Ta for that. I'll look out for him in the next couple of weeks. And luckily Barcelona is the main one I have a question about.:)

I've temporarily lost my remote so am stuck watching Raonic. Someone up there hates me!>:(:D
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Del Potro still injured?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Ta for that. I'll look out for him in the next couple of weeks. And luckily Barcelona is the main one I have a question about.:)

I've temporarily lost my remote so am stuck watching Raonic. Someone up there hates me!>:(:D

:D Can't beat a bit of Ralph of an evening.
    Is Del Potro still injured?

He's playing the Malaysian Open in September.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sabine takes the first 6-3 but Abanda is fighting hard.
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a side note, has anyone been to Rome and or Barcelona for the tennis? I'm planning trips there next spring and I just wondered if there was any one who could answer a few questions. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks.

We are also considering going to Rome or Monte Carlo and I'd appreciate any advice/guidance. :)
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Abanda, from a break down to a break-up in this second set, don't see her winning, but it's encouraging.

Garbine digging herself out of a hole.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vesely isn't much of a looker, mind you neither is Stan. I want some eye candy.
    Raonic doesn't fulfil that role either.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I agree, Murray is prone to underplaying injuries, as are many of them, but it it wasn't just cramp, why didn't he get the trainer on? In fact, I don't get why he didn't get the trainer on anyway. I know you aren't supposed to if it's only cramp, but so many flout that rule these days, and it was a lot more than being a bit tight in the quads, and wanting a rub down.

He was lucky he was able to take it in four, because things would have got worse for him in a fifth set, and of course he's now got a bit longer to recover.

I accept Murray may have a more serious injury, but hopefully a bit of rest and a few good massages will sort that out. He's up against a qualifier next, who will hopefully find it all a bit too much, giving Andy a relatively easy match. Not that Andy can rely on that. Qualifiers who make round 2, beating a player like Stepanek isn't easy, unless he was injured. Anyone know?

Will Andy in the next round with his injury problems try to win the points sooner rather than playing the waiting game?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »

He looks like a chipmunk. Stan scrapes through.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    We are also considering going to Rome or Monte Carlo and I'd appreciate any advice/guidance. :)

I was in Monaco on the day of the final last year. Wasn't at it though, I tried to get tickets a few weeks beforehand and it was sold out. I remember walking past buses picking people up to take them to the final from just outside the Japanese Garden.

Anything specific you wanted to know?
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raonic doesn't fulfil that role either.

Bit of a strange reason to watch tennis. It's supposed to be about watching the sport, not the eye candy :p

Let me guess, Nadal fan? Ooh couldn't resist, may get a slap on the wrist for that one ;-)

For the record, I think Stan is pretty good looking anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going this weekend and I'm looking for more tickets. None available for the night matches I want though.

There's plenty available on Stubhub.

Cheapest on Friday night are $60, Saturday night $73 and Sunday night $62.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad for James, but there's not much more he could have done really. Won a set and fought hard in the 4th. Hopefully he can have a strong finish to the year and qualify for the Australian Open in January :)

Just saw that Muguruza lost! How disappointing. I had high hopes for her this Summer :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »

Lyn, I'm off to bed now but I will PM you tomorrow. I had lots of advice from seasoned travellers to Rome so hopefully I can pass some on. Don't know much about Monte Carlo.

Tickets are already on sale for Rome (and Madrid), I got mine a couple of weeks ago.
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday OOP:

Ashe
    Ivanovic vs. Riske
    Isner vs. Giron
    Kvitova vs. Mladenovic

Federer vs. Matosevic
    Serena vs. Townsend

Armstrong
    Querrey vs. Gonzalez (Couldn't they have Gasquet or Nishikori here over this garbage? :kitty:)
    Bouchard vs. Govortsova
    Ferrer vs. Dzumhur
    Keys vs. Gajdosova

Grandstand
    Stosur vs. Davis
    Sock vs. Andujar
    Azarenka vs. Doi
    Monfils vs. Donaldson
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My review of this "opening Ceremony"=

Bag of shite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if Sharapova manages to lose this match.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,131
    Forum Member
    I think Sharapova will get through it, albeit with a slow start that she tends to have early on in GSs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirilenko's a tough 1st round match, especially if she's fit. Shame she hasn't even managed to play 10 matches yet this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some point there!
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Good bit different, quicker as CC says

Murray certainly doesn't enjoy playing there, he's had some real shockers especially in the heat but saying that he shouldn't have much trouble today
    Cilic in 2012, Mayer last year...Muzza will be glad to see the back of Armstrong.
    I contacted DS about a new thread but they replied they don't need to update after 3000 posts because thread stability had been resolved, whatever that means.
    :confused:

Bizarro world.
    Delpo will announce this week where his first tournament since surgery will be.
    Kuala Lumpur?
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Honestly Murray should consider retirement if he loses this match. The only place Haase should be winning 3 sets against Murray is Kitzbuhel ^_^
    :kitty:
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    The good news about cramp is that it's not an injury and it's easy enough to recover from, especially with Murray playing his first match on a Monday. The question is why he suffered it in the first place, and will it stay relevant for the next match?
    Yep. The key thing for me is establishing why it happened - Muzza's team need to get to the bottom of it sharpish. No more cramp twins auditions.
    Oh geez, apart from liking Rafa, I really do swim against the tide in this thread.

I love little Pico. He's never going to be a world beater but I'm a fan....Should I get my coat?:blush::D
    Monaco's nickname is the most interesting thing about him. Insipid gamestyle and provides minimal resistance to Rafa...
    Ralph Wiggum coming up on Armstrong.
    You mean Chief Wiggum. :p
    On a side note, has anyone been to Rome and or Barcelona for the tennis? I'm planning trips there next spring and I just wondered if there was any one who could answer a few questions. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks.
    MartyM8 is the guy you need to contact.
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Konta loses a winnable match.

Down to Andy and Heather for the Brits.
    Konta was frustrating to watch. Made Peer look a lot better than she is.
    He looks like a chipmunk. Stan scrapes through.
    Cruel on Vesely, but I can see where you're coming from.
    For the record, I think Stan is pretty good looking anyway.
    Stan scrubs up fairly well.
  • ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Well not sure how Andy scraped through in the end, not pretty but at least he lives to fight another day!

Lucky you! I went to Madrid when it was an indoor hard court tournament, but I'd love to go to Barcelona, Rome and Monte Carlo :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Monaco's nickname is the most interesting thing about him. Insipid gamestyle and provides minimal resistance to Rafa...

Harsh but probably fair. Unlike say David though, he genuinely has no game to hurt Rafa so he can't be blamed for that. I'm more in interested in how he gets all those hot model girlfriends..Oh wait, he's a rich, eligible bachelor. Scratch that comment!

MartyM8 is the guy you need to contact.

Thanks. Detroit City gave me a helpful response about Barcelona but I'm sure as the time approaches I'll have more questions.

[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.