Options

Long Lost Family - New series

Comments

• Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poor woman, ( second story) fancy adopting a child & then being so cold towards her :(
  • Options
    brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont people carry such burdens around with them for life!
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Dont people carry such burdens around with them for life!

You just dont know about people. You can see an old lady in the street and she could have had to do the same thing :cry: sorry im blubbing :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did her step sisters not have an up to date photo of their mother. Why bring one that was years old?

Ok the one Davina had was recent!:)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the elderly aunt was going to provide more details ..... Her sister was already married and had an affair which resulted in this baby girl. Did this all happen when her husband was away? Did she stay with her husband .... Who is presumably the father of the other two sisters. Who decided she couldn't keep the baby?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I thought the elderly aunt was going to provide more details ..... Her sister was already married and had an affair which resulted in this baby girl. Did this all happen when her husband was away? Did she stay with her husband .... Who is presumably the father of the other two sisters. Who decided she couldn't keep the baby?

Details we wont be getting i think! Is her dad still alive i wonder?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an absolutely nice guy!
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member

I think the aunt said they didnt know who the father was....

Oh hes given her a locket :cry:
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I put myself through all this upset?! The locket was a lovely idea :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose her Dad could still be alive. I expect her Mother got pregnant by another man while her husband was away in the army & she felt she couldn't keep the baby. Or her husband wouldn't accept it.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a wonderful son! Considering he said he never wanted to know about his birth mother, that's probably one of the most moving reunions I've seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an absolutely nice guy!

Isn't he lovely ? but how said his adoptive parents died when he was quite young & he felt he could never look for his birth mother.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a lovely son, this is heartbreaking and heartwarming all at the same time
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I suppose her Dad could still be alive. I expect her Mother got pregnant by another man while her husband was away in the army & she felt she couldn't keep the baby. Or her husband wouldn't accept it.

Yes The fact there was no mention of the father whatsoever was a little strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes The fact there was no mention of the father whatsoever was a little strange.

Her mother had obviously had a fling with him & the subject was off limits, perhaps he was married already.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Her mother had obviously had a fling with him & the subject was off limits, perhaps he was married already.

BIB - perhaps, but she certainly was. Davina mentioned, while speaking to the eldrely aunt, that the mother had become pregnant while the father was off fighting and had basically had to give up her daughter when he returned.
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    BIB - perhaps, but she certainly was. Davina mentioned, while speaking to the eldrely aunt, that the mother had become pregnant while the father was off fighting and had basically had to give up her daughter when he returned.

I read a book a few years back, cannot remember the name of it right now, that documented the reality for returning servicemen after WW2. Many came home to wives who had divorced them, who had a new bloke in residence and wives who had produced an extra child or two while they were away. There was a significant spike in the divorce and family breakdown rate in the five years after the end of WW2 that was a result of the fact that many wives had not kept their knickers on while their husbands were away. Sadly the babies that came out of it paid the price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    I read a book a few years back, cannot remember the name of it right now, that documented the reality for returning servicemen after WW2. Many came home to wives who had divorced them, who had a new bloke in residence and wives who had produced an extra child or two while they were away. There was a significant spike in the divorce and family breakdown rate in the five years after the end of WW2 that was a result of the fact that many wives had not kept their knickers on while their husbands were away. Sadly the babies that came out of it paid the price.

I wonder if the soldiers who'd come home & found their wives had divorced them knew about it in advance, Surely the wives couldn't have gone ahead & got a divorce without their husbands knowing.

I suppose it would have been a different matter if they presumed their husbands were dead.
  • Options
    Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Semillion wrote: »

Yes, and there's also the other side of the coin - where the servicemen posted overseas during the war had flings/affairs with some of the local girls. Because the future was so uncertain in wartime, I think men and women separated from their wives/husbands and not knowing when, or if, they were ever going to see them again, took whatever chance that came their way for a brief moment of happiness.

But of course I wasn't there, so I'm only surmising.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    What a wonderful son! Considering he said he never wanted to know about his birth mother, that's probably one of the most moving reunions I've seen.

Just watched on iplayer and I agree with you. You could feel their love just ooze out. Sobbed and sobbed through that one. Even the dog was looking at me in an odd way.

How desperately sad the other lady never got to meet her Mum, that must be so hard to live with as she seemed extremely emotional.

Glad I watched that episode alone as could cry to my hearts content. Both were very moving this week. How cruel humans can be to each other. I am so glad those days of having to give your baby away are behind us.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the stories might be interesting, but the programme is so stage managed and saccharine that my telly became enveloped in wasps. The presenters are truly awful and the scenes are so blatantly stage managed. You can tell by the way that they switch between different camera angles that the "spontaneous" meetings must have required five or six takes at the very least. You constantly notice that from one angle the person being spoken to has nobody behind them, yet when they instantly reply to a question from the other side of the table, a cameraman has magically appeared at the speed of light and the one previously filming has similarly managed to get out of shot in a spllt second.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Some of the stories might be interesting, but the programme is so stage managed and saccharine that my telly became enveloped in wasps. The presenters are truly awful and the scenes are so blatantly stage managed. You can tell by the way that they switch between different camera angles that the "spontaneous" meetings must have required five or six takes at the very least. You constantly notice that from one angle the person being spoken to has nobody behind them, yet when they instantly reply to a question from the other side of the table, a cameraman has magically appeared at the speed of light and the one previously filming has similarly managed to get out of shot in a spllt second.

It is quite common to film interviews with one camera, the subject is filmed then the interviewer repeats the questions for the camera at the end of the interview. Also a few 'noddies' of the interviewer pretending to listen to the answers.

Similarly they will take several shots to be edited together to show someone arriving at a house, greeted, entered etc.

How else could it be done? Full Outside Broadcast unit with half a dozen cameras?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is the first of three follow-up programmes on tonight.
    DOCUMENTARY: Long Lost Family
    On: STV (03)
    Date: Tuesday 9th September 2014 (starting in 2 hours and 3 minutes)
    Time: 20:00 to 21:00 (1 hour long)

What Happened Next.
    First of three programmes in which Davina McCall and Nicky Campbell revisit nine of the programme's most extraordinary searches. This episode features twins Jennifer and Kathleen, who spent over 60 years apart before the search discovered that they were living just three miles from each other in Rotherham. Four years on, and after a lifetime of nearly crossing paths, has the bond they had as babies survived the years they have been separated? The show also catches up with Polly and Steve, a mother and son who had been apart for over 50 years before Steve was tracked down in New Zealand. A year on from their reunion, and with 12,000 miles between them, how easy has it been to build a bond as mother and son? Finally, Laura and her sister Alison were reunited after the programme discovered that Laura's mother had passed away. Laura was desperate to find a blood relative to help her to understand her identity, but has a reunion with her sister given her the answers that she was craving?
    (Editor's Choice, Stereo, New Episode, Widescreen, Subtitles, 2011, 3 Star)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Really :confused:

Never noticed any of this as far to busy enjoying the programme.

Don't think to much in to it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    There is the first of three follow-up programmes on tonight.

Looking forward to this. Everyone out so I can cry if needed.