Bauer Place changes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    gavindowd wrote: »
    From RadioToday: "Her new show will be live, replacing the current pre-recorded show, and will also host Saturday evening 6-10pm across the Place 1 network."

So Graeme Park's last show will be Saturday 3rd January if I'm right. So far on the Saturday OSA its been a great listen.
  • 19741974 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    More changes on the way - Debbie Mac to take over Old Skool and Anthems on weekdays:

http://www.radiocentre.org/latest-industry-news/debbie-mac-joins-bauer-radios-place-portfolio

Good signing.

Next trick will be an hour being shaved off the local morning and drive time shows, with Debbi Mac doing a 1pm to 4pm show across the network. Same time slot she was doing at Real Radio.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they got rid of Bentley after one Rajar? Must have been a bit poor.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they got rid of Bentley after one Rajar? Must have been a bit poor.

The official line from Neil is that he is too busy with his other interests to continue.

Pretty poor show having a networking at 2pm and having it on a prerecord so at least Debbie will be live.
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take Danny Gallacher back down on Radio Borders! :D However this networking malarky has had a hard habit of getting rid of the old guard anyway.

Good luck to Danny in whatever he chooses to do next. 24 years in radio, 13 at Radio Borders and 11 at MFR, is quite an achievement in today's climate.

It's worth noting that Danny became Radio Borders MD in 1997, taking over from its founding MD Rod Webster who was moving to Northsound in Aberdeen. Six years later Danny was off to MFR - whose founding MD back in 1982, was Rod Webster, the same one who became Radio Borders' founding MD!

It's well known that the first track Danny played on Radio Borders, on 22 January 1990, was 'Wired for Sound' by Cliff Richard. But what was the last song that he played on Radio Borders on 26th September 2003 before he moved to MFR?
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member

It's worth noting that Danny became Radio Borders MD in 1997, taking over from its founding MD Rod Webster who was moving to Northsound in Aberdeen. Six years later Danny was off to MFR - whose founding MD back in 1982, was Rod Webster, the same one who became Radio Borders' founding MD!

?

That's not true. I remember Rod telling me he was at MFR but he wasn't MD he was only the sales director. I remember seeing an early video oc mfr and the MD certainly wasn't Rod.
  • rmclootrmcloot Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Is there any reason why they're keeping GBX, instead of axing it?

It's a very popular show and if Bauer axed it Clyde 1 could lose a lot of listeners in that slot. It'll probably only finish when George Bowie decides to give it up and the Saturday night OSA will replace it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    That's not true. I remember Rod telling me he was at MFR but he wasn't MD he was only the sales director. I remember seeing an early video oc mfr and the MD certainly wasn't Rod.

I'm happy to stand corrected on that. When Radio Borders launched in 1990 it produced a launch newspaper and it included a piece from Rod, who mentioned in the article that he was at MFR when it started and I took it as meaning that he was the man in charge there. Rod certainly did a lot for Radio Borders when he moved to there and even had his own show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Galloway's imminent departure has been a huge blow to the ones who are dismantling the Bauer stations in Scotland. They had no Plan B for this happening. That's why they haven't as yet been able to announce a replacement for Galloway
    Their plan A has not been very clever so far either with the GHN having lost them huge numbers of listeners that they most likely will never claw back.
    Ironically, Tay AM is their only station doing well in Rajar in Scotland and apparently the top brass are now going to be saying goodbye to the three Tay AM presenters still currently on air on the GHN.
    According to strong rumours in radio land, those three Tay AM presenters will all be off and finished with Bauer as from the end of the year. It's unconfirmed at the moment but if you fancy a bet on it being true put your savings on it. You won't regret it.
    Do the Bauer folk who are in charge of all of this have any idea of what they are doing? It doesn't really look like it.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Galloway's imminent departure has been a huge blow to the ones who are dismantling the Bauer stations in Scotland. They had no Plan B for this happening. That's why they haven't as yet been able to announce a replacement for Galloway
    Their plan A has not been very clever so far either with the GHN having lost them huge numbers of listeners that they most likely will never claw back.
    Ironically, Tay AM is their only station doing well in Rajar in Scotland and apparently the top brass are now going to be saying goodbye to the three Tay AM presenters still currently on air on the GHN.
    According to strong rumours in radio land, those three Tay AM presenters will all be off and finished with Bauer as from the end of the year. It's unconfirmed at the moment but if you fancy a bet on it being true put your savings on it. You won't regret it.
    Do the Bauer folk who are in charge of all of this have any idea of what they are doing? It doesn't really look like it.

So presumably Ally Bally, Richard Allen and Bill Torrence, who I assume are the people you're referring too, will be replaced by English networking? Bad move I feel.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, so the Magic Northern stations must be merging with the Scottish ones by the sounds of it. I hope not, because the new Metro 2, TFM 2, etc will lose their northern England feel, as when they do their quizzes some might be Scottish voices who call and they surely won't want to mention people texting in from Glasgow, Middlesbrough, Manchester, then Aberdeen surely?!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Certainly the mess that's been Paddy's Sunday Dinner is another example of this. While it was a good idea in principle Bauer should perhaps have run the show locally first, to give Paddy time to establish himself, before networking it.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is only rumour I think but I hope it is all rumour.

As far as I know however, Ofcom rules are now that medium wave stations do not need to do any localised programming at all and those that do need only to do 4 hours of programming "from the COUNTRY they are based in".. That being the case, theoretically they can get rid of all but ONE show a day - ie One show from Glasgow more than likely and the rest will be a relay of the Place 2 network.

Remember that on GHN, the presenter does not actually announce the name of the station - that is all in the jingles. In the case of the Place 2 network, the same will be true - the presenter will not physically announce the station names.

That being the case, they could easily merge Magic North with GHN. That will be a sad day. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it will be a very sad day, but sounds like none of the presenters on Magic AM's are not losing their jobs - they're just changing the name nothing else.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard that there will be no more Billy Sloan collection after December.

And by the looks of it the Jim Symon late show, the 60's and 70's show, and Tom Ferrie's Request show on a Sunday to name just a few will probably be gone as well.

It's truly disgraceful.

Looks like it will be the likes of Wave 102, Kingdom FM, Your Radio and Original 106 from January for my evening radio entertainment.
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    I heard that there will be no more Billy Sloan collection after December.

And by the looks of it the Jim Symon late show, the 60's and 70's show, and Tom Ferrie's Request show on a Sunday to name just a few will probably be gone as well.

It's truly disgraceful.

Looks like it will be the likes of Wave 102, Kingdom FM, Your Radio and Original 106 from January for my evening radio entertainment.
    Jim Symon will be a huge loss. They'd be better giving drivetime to someone like him rather than Gina McKee.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Beware of the "first time poster" at your peril. Sometimes they do get it right and this one is pretty confident in the source the story has come from.
    Led to believe only the Breakfast show and the Drivetime show...or whatever it's called...will come from Scotland. A number of presenters currently working will disappear come the start of 2015.

Where is your source then? Come on.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is your source then? Come on.

We do know that Billy Sloan will be gone after December. Just hoping other than Robin Galloway going to Heart Scotland breakfast, he will be the only one going but hopefully not to make way for a Manchester based show. Just fear that there will be a number of casualties to make way for extensive networks from Manchester but hope not.

Hope Paul_Brown7 has got it wrong in terms of there being a sudden glut of English based shows from January and that it's no more than just a vicious rumour he's heard.
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to tell you but it is all true. Most of the Scottish network jocks are being let go in replacement with English networking.

Bauer's strategy with this appears to be not putting out any kind of press release about it, so there is no link to a press release, or press story for that matter, that we can cut and paste to, as of yet anyway.

They want as little attention drawn to this as possible as in their eye it's just a change of networking moving from one place to another.

Most of the networked Scottish presenters will just quietly disappear over Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Sorry to tell you but it is all true. Most of the Scottish network jocks are being let go in replacement with English networking.

Bauer's strategy with this appears to be not putting out any kind of press release about it, so there is no link to a press release, or press story for that matter, that we can cut and paste to, as of yet anyway.

They want as little attention drawn to this as possible as in their eye it's just a change of networking moving from one place to another.

Most of the networked Scottish presenters will just quietly disappear over Christmas.

That's the plan apparently. It's going to be a cull on most of the Scottish presenters. Not many will survive it.
    Forum Member
    That's the plan apparently. It's going to be a cull on most of the Scottish presenters. Not many will survive it.

I think that will be the last straw for many listeners.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This news makes keeping the heritage names all the more daft. It's the end for the AM stations I think, if RAJAR continues to fall how long before they become DAB only?
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    This news makes keeping the heritage names all the more daft. It's the end for the AM stations I think, if RAJAR continues to fall how long before they become DAB only?

If they keep the local football on Saturdays it sort of justifies the local names.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did email Nick Wright and Ray Rose a couple of months ago, when I first heard about The Magic Am's changing names to their respective heritage station , and sticking a 2 after it. so my local Magic will be "Metro 2"! They both replied that only the name was changing, not the presenters or music, but I guess they will be broadcasting to Scotland in the New Year!!!! I did have a little suspicion that they might do this a while ago. Does anyone know if Magic will be doing a little promo about the changes or if the DJ's will start mentioning it soon? thanks , as there's less than 9 weeks till January, unless the changes will start later in the month?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »

I really can't understand the logic behind keeping the old names when everything is being networked. It just makes things more difficult.The presenter can't ID the station without recording a load of split links and the stations can't be advertised nationally since each one has a different name. I think Bauer want to be seen as doing things differently to Global, but really they're just complicating things..