Post office asking whats in packages.

Comments

• d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is a new thing.

I was behind someone in the queue the other day and he was asked what was in the package. The man said he didn't know as he was posting the parcel for his girlfriend so they refused to take it. He chose to open it there and then to see then they would accept it.

The woman behind the counter said that they have to record if it's an electrical item.

She accepted another parcel which was quite obviously clothing without him knowing exactly what it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I think it is a new thing.

I was behind someone in the queue the other day and he was asked what was in the package. The man said he didn't know as he was posting the parcel for his girlfriend so they refused to take it. He chose to open it there and then to see then they would accept it.

The woman behind the counter said that they have to record if it's an electrical item.

She accepted another parcel which was quite obviously clothing without him knowing exactly what it was.

Rubbish!
    They have no authority to ask what you are posting.
    Should they ask if it is electrical or not (which is not their business) just say no, and they can do sod all.If you say yes, they can do sod as well!
    You cannot post electrical items???????????????? :D
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's highly likely that they are trying to make sure no-one is attempting to post illegal items (i.e. drugs, guns etc) out of the country.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many of those who've supplied "clever" replies will have done the same at the airport baggage check in.
    Well obviously not. Being arsey at baggage-checkin could mean losing a flight and a very expensive holiday.
    What's the worst that can happen in a PO? Does the "cashier number two please" woman say "F**k off please!" instead?!
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many of those who've supplied "clever" replies will have done the same at the airport baggage check in.

Many years ago (before 9/11) My 8 yr old son thought he would be smart and say his water pistol was a real one. He soon learnt at age 8 not to be so smart. He got a severe dressing down which seemed to go on for an age and told in no uncertain terms that if he ever said anything like that again he would be banned from flying
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    bronson wrote: »
    Seem to get asked whats in packages I send at my post office lately....I understand that certain items are not allowed to be sent but I think its a bit of invasion of privacy....:mad:

Never had this myself, but I would have loved to see their faces if they'd asked me this a few months back when I was picking up my Anthrax vinyls.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,938
    Forum Member
    Bigshorts wrote: »
    Rubbish!
    They have no authority to ask what you are posting.
    Should they ask if it is electrical or not (which is not their business) just say no, and they can do sod all.If you say yes, they can do sod as well!
    You cannot post electrical items???????????????? :D

Actually they can and do have a right to ask what is being sent.

It's in their T&C not to accept certain items, and various laws and things mean that some items can be sent via inland post, but not by air*.

That's before the attempt to ensure you use the correct postal method for whatever it is you're sending, I see an awful lot of threads/posts by people complaining that RM won't refund the cost of a phone (or jewellery etc) they've sent via post, second class with no insurance...

All you need to do is say "it's a (insert rough description of item)", not "It's an Ann summers pink rampant rabbit I'm sending back because I broke it".

*Ever wonder why retailers often cannot post things like spray cans outside the country they are in? Some are not allowed in aircraft as postal items due to the risks involved in them getting damaged, same with some things like nail varnish removers - if the bottle breaks it can potentially react with other items..
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They want to know if it's worth nicking :p
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you give a false statement regarding the contents of a parcel, and parcel gets a routine safety check (they have been increasing checks since the new rules came in on the 15th), if the package contains prohibited items then goods will be forfeited and although highly unlikely you could face a criminal prosecution.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seem to get asked whats in packages I send at my post office lately....I understand that certain items are not allowed to be sent but I think its a bit of invasion of privacy....:mad:

Im sure they have their reasons, but for example when Im sending my friend who lives abroad a present, I HATE that I have to write what it is on the side of the envelope, so she sees what it is before she unwraps it!:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their pensions are all at risk aren't they? Maybe they are just setting up a back of the lorry pension fund and are collecting intel.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    A whole load of items were added to the prohibited to post list on the 15th july, they are asking you what is in the package, to save them the time of going through the whole list which now contains a lot of items.

Thank you. A sensible response. So something has changed. I knew it must've done.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is a BLATANT privacy issue, and quite frankly any PO employee have no right even attempt to ask about!
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,001
    Forum Member
    Sending some DVDs

"What's in it? "

"12" black stallion love"

"Hmmm that doesn't like like a 12" more 2" tickler, hmmm wheres the shaft?"

She then proceeds to get a 12" from behind the counter and slams it on the counter

"THAT'S A 12""
  • AlferdPackerAlferdPacker Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pathetic reactions from people about this. Staff doing their job and asking because they are told to. There are certain products you cant send in the post such as Aerosols which would just be returned to you. Flicking people the middle finger and swearing at them cause they are doing their job you must feel so big.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Thank you. A sensible response. So something has changed. I knew it must've done.

The Post Office are not alone in wanting to know about contents of parcels.
    Many courier and delivery companies also have a long list of prohibited items they will not accept and which the sender has to declare otherwise they will not accept
    their packages. Of course its not a foolproof system but has to be accepted in this present age of terrorism or other crimes and threats.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    Sending some DVDs

"What's in it? "

"12" black stallion love"

"Hmmm that doesn't like like a 12" more 2" tickler, hmmm wheres the shaft?"

She then proceeds to get a 12" from behind the counter and slams it on the counter

"THAT'S A 12""
    Was it worth dragging out a 17 month old thread for that? :D
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pathetic reactions from people about this. Staff doing their job and asking because they are told to. There are certain products you cant send in the post such as Aerosols which would just be returned to you. Flicking people the middle finger and swearing at them cause they are doing their job you must feel so big.

It didn't happen. People like to tell lies.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason for asking about the contents is probably to assist customers in not falling foul of this extensive list of prohibited items which refers to items being sent within the UK (it is probably a longer list for overseas).

Edit: Link doesn't work properly on iPhones and possibly other mobile devices.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tell them to non of there business.
  • ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    It seems to have calmed down at our post office, one particular man was getting quite a reputation for being arsey, eg a few months ago I was returning a faulty hard disk and didn't know exactly what was in the box, just that it was a faulty piece of IT equipment being returned to the supplier, and he made me phone the office and ask in front of a long grumbling queue or he wouldn't take it, and he refused to take a return to Boohoo my friend was posting for her daughter as she only knew it was clothes and he wanted specifics, but he accepted an Asos return without asking me specifically what clothing item was in it last week, so maybe it was individuals interpreting new rules too strictly at first?
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get one over on the post office every time I mail a package.

I go to the bit where they sell the envelopes and the jiffy bags which luckily for me isn't in view of the counter. I put my item in it then go to the end of the counter and write on it then send it. Not once have they ever charged me for the packaging and seeing as I'm not physically walking out with it, they can't really do me for stealing and even if I'm seen on camera, the act of choosing and envelope and taking it to the counter to pay for it appears totally legit. The camera footage can't see that I haven't been charged for it so I get away without having to pay. So far this has worked EVERY time. I never pay for envelopes and jiffy bags at my local post office. I always get the post office to pay for them and send them on my behalf.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I get one over on the post office every time I mail a package.

I go to the bit where they sell the envelopes and the jiffy bags which luckily for me isn't in view of the counter. I put my item in it then go to the end of the counter and write on it then send it. Not once have they ever charged me for the packaging and seeing as I'm not physically walking out with it, they can't really do me for stealing and even if I'm seen on camera, the act of choosing and envelope and taking it to the counter to pay for it appears totally legit. The camera footage can't see that I haven't been charged for it so I get away without having to pay. So far this has worked EVERY time. I never pay for envelopes and jiffy bags at my local post office. I always get the post office to pay for them and send them on my behalf.

So when you say you "get one over" on them, what you really mean is that you steal from them?
  • Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The parcel you send for a pittance is not a diplomatic pouch.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    So when you say you "get one over" on them, what you really mean is that you steal from them?

Sort of. Although I haven't walked out of the shop with it so technically haven't actually stolen anything. I give it to the woman on the counter, she neglects to charge me for it and they send it off to be posted. What I've actually done is scammed them in to robbing from themselves. Actually that's not strictly true as the Post Office which sell the envelopes is a separate business to Royal Mail so actually I've scammed Royal Mail into robbing off the Post Office. Either way it costs me nothing for my jiffy bags and I've been getting away with it for years.