Barcelona

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all

Thinking of going to Barcelona next year on me jollies and wondered if any one knows of any good hotels that arent too expensive as my budget isnt the biggest. Also is it one of those cities where everything is pretty central and easy to get to, kind of like Paris? :)
Tips and recommendations welcome.

Comments

• redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Barcelona for 5 days in August and we stayed here

http://www.eurostarsangli.com/EN/hotel.html

It is out of town, so lovely and quiet with a swimming pool (although it may be getting too cool for that now). It is 10 mins from Sarria underground to the main square in the city centre (top of Las Ramblas) and you can get 10 journeys (including a transfer time for two part journeys) for 8 euros. It is very clean and effcient. We booked via laterooms.com and got a really good deal. Something like 400euros for 5 nights.

Also the area of Sarria has lots of little bars and restaurants, although we could only sample a few because August is holiday month and most places are closed. There is a particularily good tapas restaurant down next to the church in the main sq in Sarria, would completely recommend it.

Barcelona is a great city, I would recommend Park Guell in particular. But there is literally tons to see and do, I will be going back to get more in. Enjoy!
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    lisalee23 wrote: »
    Hi all

Thinking of going to Barcelona next year on me jollies and wondered if any one knows of any good hotels that arent too expensive as my budget isnt the biggest. Also is it one of those cities where everything is pretty central and easy to get to, kind of like Paris? :)
    Tips and recommendations welcome.

It is fairly compact and has an excellent Metro system for getting about. There is also a Tourist Bus you can use which will take you to all the major tourist spots.

Hotels can be quite expensive, have a look at a guide book like Timeout or Lonely Planet and see what cheap hotels they recommend.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Watch out for the prostitutes and the criminals.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    We had a week there last year and loved it.

Beware of pickpockets on Las Ramblas.

If you sit at a pavement cafe for a coffee or a beer and are given a menu with no prices - get up and leave. The beer will be 20 Euros.

I don't know what your taste is but here is a list of attractions rated by travellers.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187497-Activities-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

My particular favourites are The Palau de la Musica - best to book this in advance, and The Hospital - which is being renovated (it's a Unesco World Heritage Site) - guided tours up to about 1pm IIRC in English, really good. From there you can walk to the Sagrada Familia - this is always very busy, best to go first thing or late afternoon.

Another sight often overlooked is La Bouqueria market off Las Ramblas - it is a fantastic place (also rife with pickpockets).

If you are there long enough a trip to Girona is worthwhile and Montserrat is an amazing place.

Have fun - you've put me in the mood to go back.
    Forum Member
    We had a week there last year and loved it.

Beware of pickpockets on Las Ramblas.

If you sit at a pavement cafe for a coffee or a beer and are given a menu with no prices - get up and leave. The beer will be 20 Euros.

I don't know what your taste is but here is a list of attractions rated by travellers.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187497-Activities-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

My particular favourites are The Palau de la Musica - best to book this in advance, and The Hospital - which is being renovated (it's a Unesco World Heritage Site) - guided tours up to about 1pm IIRC in English, really good. From there you can walk to the Sagrada Familia - this is always very busy, best to go first thing or late afternoon.

Another sight often overlooked is La Bouqueria market off Las Ramblas - it is a fantastic place (also rife with pickpockets).

If you are there long enough a trip to Girona is worthwhile and Montserrat is an amazing place.

Have fun - you've put me in the mood to go back.

The high drinks prices happen in every major city. La Rambla is the main place to avoid but anyone with any travel experience whatsoever would figure that out.
  • epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a hotel there a standard breakfast will probably be a muffin, a yogurt and a drink of orange juice so don't worry if breakfast isn't included in the hotel price.

There's cheap hotels near Barcelona Sants station but they are cheap hotels not excellent value for money hotels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch out for the prostitutes and the criminals.

Yes, Barcelona is the only city with them. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Smerph wrote: »
    Yes, Barcelona is the only city with them. :rolleyes:

It is pretty much top of the tree for pickpocketing though, worth being warned about.