Enfield Poltergeist

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MamboJimbo wrote: »
    Yes I would - I would have approached the alleged results critically and sceptically, that's to say scientifically, rather than with an attitude of "What's to say that these neutrinos didn't go faster than light, eh?"

With a dash of 'because neutrinos don't travel faster than the speed of light' too, I'd hope?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    That she's in a position where it's obvious that she's jumped.

Is it not a human preconception for us to assume that when seeing a person in the air, our preconception is that they must of jumped, so that clouds our judgement of what we see?

The two girls are in two different positions, just out of interest which position would you count as levitating, is it just legs crossed, forefinger and thumb touching?

Its a shame because I was accepting 'her hair is obviously being effected by a longitudinal change in direction'
  • MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TigerBlood wrote: »
    With a dash of 'because neutrinos don't travel faster than the speed of light' too, I'd hope?
    A very large dash of "Nothing, neutrinos included, is known to exceed the speed of light and it's more likely that some error has been made somewhere than much of the edifice of science is going to be completely overturned. The evidence for this is going to have to be pretty damned watertight."
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TigerBlood wrote: »
    Is it not a human preconception for us to assume that when seeing a person in the air, our preconception is that they must of jumped, so that clouds our judgement of what we see?

The two girls are in two different positions, just out of interest which position would you count as levitating, is it just legs crossed, forefinger and thumb touching?

Its a shame because I was accepting 'her hair is obviously being effected by a longitudinal change in direction'

Isn't the bottom line here that a still photograph is never going to constitute proof of levitation?

Plus that little matter of the concept of levitation never actually having been proved anyway. It's one of those concepts that people choose to believe based on what is presented to them - they simply make a judgement. But it's not an informed judgement, and I don't care what their profession, background or educational levels are.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This WAS skeptically investigated - might have been Randi I forget - and no evidence of poltergeists was found.

Writer of the book also wrote The Geller Effect, enough said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Lyon_Playfair

Amytiville Horror was proved a fraud, by a USA journalist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I think the UK public were a lot less media savvy back then though, the programme was clearly advertised as being a Screen One drama and was introduced as such.

the show is available on dvd though, I rented it via Lovefilm a few years back and its still an effective piece of work.

You ain't wrong at all. I came in from a night out and just missed the 'warning' and didn't sleep well for a week or two, even though it was announced as drama on the tv the next day. It was awesome work. My daughter is having a Halloween film night on Monday and I've got a copy of Ghostwatch to present

mwahahahaha
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Further investigations by Anita Gregory and John Beloff, also from the SPR, were less positive. They spent a few days with the family and came to the conclusion that the children had faked the poltergeist activity after they found them bending spoons themselves.[6] One of the children (Janet) admitted to Gregory that they had fabricated some of the occurrences. This admission was repeated on the ITV News (12 June 1980) when she stated: "Oh yeah, once or twice [we faked phenomena], just to see if Mr Grosse and Mr Playfair would catch us. And they always did." "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_Poltergeist
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    Seen countless documentary about this and I saw that daily mail article as well.

Totally faked by the two girls IMO... how anyone could think its real boggles my mind.

Since when in the history of the world has there ever been proof of ANY paranormal activity .. with so many mobile cameras in the world you'd think some one would have caught something on film. Its always blurry, out of focus and obscure for a reason... all fake !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    I was living in that part of North London at the time, my Cousins lived in the same road, it was well known to be a load of Shoemakers.
  • AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be real. The picture couldn't be a setup! It just couldn't be! It looks sooooooooooooooooooo real.

If it was a setup then the two people would be looking scared, and looking in the direction of her... oh.. that's funny... I just realised they are! Hmmm....

And... why would they take a picture of her being levitated wouldn't they be more worried about stopping the ghost thingy or whatever from killing their daughter? Instead they wasted time by taking a photograph of it happening.

Hmm... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have come to the conclusion that it must have been the ghost's friend who took the picture to show their other ghosty friends when they got back. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    This WAS skeptically investigated - might have been Randi I forget - and no evidence of poltergeists was found.

Amytiville Horror was proved a fraud, by a USA journalist.[/QUOTE]

Yeah im not so convinced by Amytiville either. Too much money to be made i think. I wonder if the kids in that family ever spoke out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Credit to the family if it was all faked .. it's quite funny. What possessed them?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Amytiville Horror was proved a fraud, by a USA journalist.

Yeah, if he believes Uri Gellar has a gift, I really do think his rationality on it must be a joke!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    spirits would be channeled through the children causing them to say the most ghastly of things.

Plus ça change!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15510306
  • jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lisalee23 wrote: »

Amytiville Horror was proved a fraud, by a USA journalist.[/QUOTE]

Yeah im not so convinced by Amytiville either. Too much money to be made i think. I wonder if the kids in that family ever spoke out.

One of the sons Christopher Quaratino (Lutz) is making a film at present about his experiences. There is a lot of info available on the web about it all. Here is a good place to start

www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Credit to the family if it was all faked .. it's quite funny. What possessed them?
    I appreciated that :p
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They weren't even after a new house so god knows what it was all about.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been watching an interview with the daughter on This morning.
    Still can't help feeling it was all made up and the daughter had talked herself into believing it.
    The police report of seeing furniture moving was quite interesting,but wasnt aware the the children had been caught tampering with equipment.
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    The woman on This Morning was talking really quiet!
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    As much as my atheist side likes to believe this was untrue and a lie, I can't help but resonate with this story, as I did when I was a child. Reading this story just made me confirm the same visions that had confronted me as a child. I was made to believe that I had made everything up and that I was craving attention but I am convinced What I witnessed wasn't make believe at all.

What did you witness? I would be very interested to know :)
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maccles wrote: »
    Stop this scientific talk. What scientists teach is 30 years out of date. It's not relevant. You're dealing with the supernatural, demons, entities that operate in other dimensions, that exist out of our line of sight. The human eye can only see things that reflect light. We can only see a tiny portion of what is out there! We only have 5 senses!

We should not dabble in what we are not prepared for. They can take over our mind if we allow them in. Only in the death process will we truly see what is going on and who we really are. We came here for a reason. There is no death which is why i do as i please in life, there is no karma, there is nothing to fear. If you have ever lost a loved one do not mourn them, do not grieve, they have gone home and they have decided to stay there or reincarnate here or somewhere else in the universe.

There is nothing to fear people but evil walks among us.

So, by this are we to believe that murderers, paedophiles and other reprobates of society can just continue to do as they like, and it doesn't matter, as the person who has tried to do good all their life will be in exactly the same place as them in the next life? :confused: As a believer of an afterlife, and in karma, and also as the mother of a deceased child, I like to think that my little child who never had as much as a bad thought in her short life, is now in a completely different place to say, Hitler or Jeffrey Dahmer, but according to you they are all the same! I sincerely hope you are wrong, I really do!
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re the photo:

If you were shown it without any explanation and were asked what was going on would you say (a) a girl is being levitated by a poltergeist or (b) a girl is jumping off her bed

if you wanted to record proof of a girl being thrown about by a poltergeist would you (a) take a photo that could be interpreted as her jumping off the bed or (b) make a home movie so there would be no doubt
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    A distant member of my family 'had' a poltergeist. It was never talked about when people visited as to them it was normal (don't ask me why). Visitors did not last long in that house with unseen whisperers and touching. A friend who went for a sleep-over woke to see his friend levitating from the bed. He actually pooed himself at seeing that and never visited again. The poltergeist was not very nice and locked the bathroom door from the inside, sent things flying and made unpleasant telephone calls. So whilst some are faked, I know for sure that some are not.