Importing US DVDs/Blu Rays and Import Tax

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
Forum Member
Not sure this is the right place for this, but it's in relation to a US TV show, so it should be fine:

I was thinking about importing a Region Free Blu Ray from Amazon (It's not being released in the UK, thanks to those lazy people at Warner Bros UK), but I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on Customs and Taxation, as I'd rather not be stung with an expensive surprise at the other end.

I've done it once before, but it was a long time ago, and I believe the item was below the taxation threshold, whereas this is a recent release so is above the limit.

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shed....

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the item is above £20 then you will get clobbered with custom fees. It maybe worth your while checking this site as they do American Blu-rays but they ship from London, so no evil custom charges. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    If the item is above £20 then you will get clobbered with custom fees. It maybe worth your while checking this site as they do American Blu-rays but they ship from London, so no evil custom charges. :)

The item I want is £30 from Amazon UK +4% import tax + 20% VAT, comes out aproximately £37.20, cheaper than BluBastard's £41, but you have to wait longer.

One concern is the legality, because under UK it's illegal to posses unclassified Video Recordings with the intent to sell, unless they are exempt from classification. However, they do use PayPal so it wouldn't be an issue, if the order was canned for any reason.

Also, they list the items as a pre-order but the release date is listed as September 4th....
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered the US BD of The Avengers from BluBastard.com.

I used to use Movietyme.com regularly fur US BDs and DVDs.

One thing to also consider with import VAT etc. is that if the item is over the threshold, and so incurs charges, you are charged on the *total* cost of the item including shipping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are ordering from Amazon.com, you have the option to pre-pay the import fees and avoid any extra charges here. You're still paying the tax but you avoid the £8 Royal Mail fee or the £16 ParcelForce fee, with a small increase in the shipping cost.

You need to select one of the faster shipping methods and Amazon will work out the tax due. You won't be charged more if the final tax bill is higher and you will be refunded if it's lower than what you paid. It's very handy now the limit is just £15.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Geiger;61272674]If you are ordering from Amazon.com, you have the option to pre-pay the import fees and avoid any extra charges here. You're still paying the tax but you avoid the £8 Royal Mail fee or the £16 ParcelForce fee, with a small increase in the shipping cost.

You need to select one of the faster shipping methods and Amazon will work out the tax due. You won't be charged more if the final tax bill is higher and you will be refunded if it's lower than what you paid. It's very handy now the limit is just £15.[/QUOTE]

Really? I didnt know that :) So if you order something over £15 and you select (say) Expedieted International Shipping you avoid customs? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Really? I didnt know that :) So if you order something over £15 and you select (say) Expedieted International Shipping you avoid customs? :confused:
    Well you avoid the handling fee from Royal Mail, but you're paying the VAT & duty. If the order summary has a line for "Import Fees Deposit" and it's being sold by "Amazon Export Sales, Inc.", they will send the order by a delivery agent who will clear it through customs.

I have used the service a few times as I usually place relatively small orders and it's the Royal Mail fee, not the tax, that is so punishing.
  • grah2702grah2702 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends what you are ordering.
    I import TV series box sets a lot via All Your Music who are on Amazon.co.uk marketplace seller.
    Their prices are very competitive and you only pay £1.26 postage.
    All packages are postmarked within the UK so there is no VAT/Tax to pay.There is no indication that item is from abroad.
    Delivery is normally 7-10 working days.
    The only downside is they don't appear to have new releases.