Post office asking whats in packages.

bronsonbronson Posts: 1,441
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seem to get asked whats in packages I send at my post office lately....I understand that certain items are not allowed to be sent but I think its a bit of invasion of privacy....:mad:

Comments

• oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.:mad:
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They asked me this the other day, I was returning a nintendo ds to amazon and he asked me what was in the box, I was sorely tempted to say a dildo or something else embarrassing but haha I chose no to.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lady at the post office said:
    "I need you to tell me what is in that small box"

I didn't speak - I just gave her the finger.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd be rubbish at pass the parcel!
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably have to ask to make sure it's non negotiable items or hazardous items. You don't have to say anything very specific other than a childs toy, small electronic item etc.

I think giving the postie the middle finger is a little extreme and somewhat rude!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Is this a new thing? I too was asked about a week ago. I was so tempted to tell the woman to mind her own ******* business. All they need to know is how much it's worth.
    Forum Member
    They probably have to ask to make sure it's non negotiable items or hazardous items. You don't have to say anything very specific other than a childs toy, small electronic item etc.

I think giving the postie the middle finger is a little extreme and somewhat rude!

About as rude as being quizzed on what's in a sealed packet.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I'm returning my giant dildo as one of the handles snapped off mid thrust" :o
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a new thing? I too was asked about a week ago. I was so tempted to tell the woman to mind her own ******* business. All they need to know is how much it's worth.

Bingo

They're asking the value, which obviously affects the type of postage and how much it is insured for if necessary

Next time they ask just tell them the value
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    "I'm returning my giant dildo as one of the handles snapped off mid thrust" :o

Exactly. I'd love to see the post worker's face. The question is intrusive and unnecessary.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Items like jewellery are not covered by PO insurance , that is why they ask though they never asked me anything earlier today cos they are on strike.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Different delivery options also have different figures of compensation attached to them should something get lost, damaged or stolen. Probably an element of insurance selling involved with it too, to make sure you weren't BS'ing when you told them the value.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed, if i was them i'd have just refused to serve them. :D
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,164
    Forum Member
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    They'd be rubbish at pass the parcel!

:D LOL. My brother in law said a bazooka about a month ago when they asked him and got a five minute lecture about how it wasn't joking matter and they are only doing their jobs... blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can get bothered over such trivial things. Does it really matter if the guy on the desk knows whats in the parcel you are sending? It's clearly being asked to check for restricted/valuable items etc.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did he then point out that "Its actually a package of Bazooka bubblegum sticks". :D
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Different delivery options also have different figures of compensation attached to them should something get lost, damaged or stolen. Probably an element of insurance selling involved with it too, to make sure you weren't BS'ing when you told them the value.

Normally you'd have been asked if there was anything of value in there. Now it seems to be 'What's in the parcel?', which is an irrelevant question in terms of trying to gauge its value.
    Forum Member
    KidMoe wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can get bothered over such trivial things. Does it really matter if the guy on the desk knows whats in the parcel you are sending? It's clearly being asked to check for restricted/valuable items etc.

So why not ask "Is there anything valuable in there?" No, it's intrusive, and people tend to value their privacy in Britain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    You know your beeswax? Why don't you mind it?
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reply "It's is not an item on your prohibited list and it's value does not exceed your limits set out in your guidelines.".

That covers it.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    So why not ask "Is there anything valuable in there?" No, it's intrusive, and people tend to value their privacy in Britain.

I dunno. Perhaps to save time going through the list of things the RM class as restricted it's just easier to ask "what's in the box?" I'm sure a "nothing valuable" would suffice as an answer.

If you don't like it, you can always just not use the service of course. Personally I don't really care if the dude behind the counter knows what's in the box I'm sending and I'm sure he doesn't either, he's just doing his job and will doubtless forget it in 5 minutes.
    Forum Member
    KidMoe wrote: »
    I dunno. Perhaps to save time going through the list of things the RM class as restricted it's just easier to ask "what's in the box?"

If you don't like it, you can always just not use the service of course. Personally I don't really care if the dude behind the counter knows what's in the box I'm sending and I'm sure he doesn't either, he's just doing his job and will doubtless forget it in 5 minutes.

But this asking for specifics is a recent development, so what has changed and why? I never used to be given a long list of things I wasn't allowed to send. I was just asked if there was anything valuable in there.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this asking for specifics is a recent development, so what has changed and why? I never used to be given a long list of things I wasn't allowed to send. I was just asked if there was anything valuable in there.

I have always been asked what was in the packages for at least the last ten years, that was for insurance purposes of what was mainly ebay sales.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Shocking stuff huh.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    The lady at the post office said:
    "I need you to tell me what is in that small box"

I didn't speak - I just gave her the finger.

Jeez, some people have to have it spelled out to them.
    Its a joke. The small box being posted had a finger in it. It sets up the illusion that the poster is a kidnapper and is sending a part back to demand ransom money.

Your expectations were confounded and from thence the humour arose