Options

ATVOD strikes again

Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
Forum Member
http://www.ukcolumn.org/article/where-have-all-uk-column-videos-gone

ATVOD are a menace to the freedom of speech in the UK and perhaps the world, even if that speech is ridiculous.

I only wish I had the power to disband it and the licensing regime it has constructed.

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never heard of EITHER one, and should i?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Today all "video on demand" content for which the UK Column had "editorial" reponsibility was removed from Youtube and this website.
    Not sure how they can state that then have a youtube vid underneath it :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not sure how they can state that then have a youtube vid underneath it :confused:

It won't likely be near TV-like enough for ATVOD. TV-like, what a vague term that is.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    never heard of EITHER one, and should i?

Well neither have i, but a quick google reveals ..
    ATVOD is the independent co-regulator for the editorial content of UK video on demand services that fall within the statutory definition of On-Demand Programme Services. ATVOD was previously known as The Association for Television On-Demand.

And UK Column seem to be a bog standard anti-everything conspiracy site at first glance

http://www.ukcolumn.org/

So putting two and two together, ATVOD have removed UK Column's video content for, I assume, something either illegal or offensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well neither have i, but a quick google reveals ..

And UK Column seem to be a bog standard anti-everything conspiracy site at first glance

http://www.ukcolumn.org/

So putting two and two together, ATVOD have removed UK Column's video content for, I assume, something either illegal or offensive.

More likely they simply haven't paid the license fee for providing "TV-like" content on the internet that all UK based people and companies must do.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More likely they simply haven't paid the license fee for providing "TV-like" content on the internet that all UK based people and companies must do.

Yeah, or that I suppose, since they're a licensing body. I guess, given the nature of UK Column, it'll be presented as an attempt by "the man" to supress or censor them though.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who values free speech should be hosting outside the UK. Considering the combined forces of ATVOD, Ofcom, the tabloids and the Tories, it's incredibly foolish not to.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/me_atvod.htm

they seem unfit for purpose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Anyone who values free speech should be hosting outside the UK. Considering the combined forces of ATVOD, Ofcom, the tabloids and the Tories, it's incredibly foolish not to.

Hosting makes little difference if the person(s) with editorial control is within the UK. And it was Labour who created ATVOD of the back of EU legislation, which if I recall correctly never called for a separate organisation to implement it - but no doubt its creation gives many a friend a job.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »

This may come as a surprise, but virtually all countries have some form of regulation about what is allowable.

Freedom of speech is not the be all and end off of the argument - even the Americans agree that there are things that you should not do (the famous example being shouting fire in a crowded theatre), and freedom of speech does not automatically mean freedom to say whatever you want where you want.

Indeed the "Land of the free" has some of the most restrictive rules for what is and isn't allowed to be seen on "broadcast" TV when it comes to things like the human body, but at the same time virtually anything goes for radio as long as it isn't obscene, but you must be licensed before you start your broadcasts (to make sure you don't interfere with anyone else's broadcasts).

For example, one I see a lot is people crying over the fact that a forum has breached their "freedom of speech" by editing/removing posts that go against the T&C of the forum.
    The person hasn't lost any of the "freedom", as it didn't apply to a privately funded forum, they were only allowed on the forum whilst they continued to follow the owner of the forums rules (in the same way you might get asked to leave virtually any establishment if you are being abusive or disruptive in your speech or manner).

Given that broadcast spectrum is regulated we need an OFCOM to deal with it, both to ensure that the "airwaves" are used as they are meant to be (one of the biggest jobs of such regulators is actually dealing with things like unlicensed transmissions that affect those of people who have paid), and the laws of the land are followed.

ATVOD from what I can make out is a bit of an odd one, as the way the law is worded is in theory meant to mean that anyone running what could be deemed a TV channel if it was actually broadcast, follows the same sort of rules when they are done online (one such thing is to make sure they're actually contactable in the event of legal action for things like defamation, libel etc), but because the line is blurred takes some sites in that probably shouldn't be covered.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Indeed the "Land of the free" has some of the most restrictive rules for what is and isn't allowed to be seen on "broadcast" TV when it comes to things like the human body, but at the same time virtually anything goes for radio as long as it isn't obscene, but you must be licensed before you start your broadcasts (to make sure you don't interfere with anyone else's .

All the stranger as "broadcaster" means only what we call DTT , so the cable and satellite channels are far far les restricted ....
    Btw only 17% of the USA proportion actually view on DTT .
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it like the IWF who made wordpress blogs inaccessible to ISP users for months? We need more nonsense like that.