Options

Rape Conviction Stats Won't Improve Until Women 'Stop Getting So Drunk', Says Judge

Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
Forum Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/26/rape-conviction-mary-jane-mowat_n_5715531.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
A top female judge has sparked a furious row after claiming conviction rates for rape in Britain won't improve until "women stop getting so drunk."

Judge Mary Jane Mowat, 66, said she knew she would be criticised for her remarks by adding: "I'm probably going to be pilloried for saying so."

She said juries would always struggle to believe a victim who had been drunk at the time when it was "one person's word against another."

“It is an inevitable fact of it being one person’s word against another, and the burden of proof being that you have to be sure before you convict," she told local paper The Oxford Mail in an interview to mark her retirement after 18 years as a circuit judge.

The following bit I found odd:
"Rape convictions will improve when those who perpetrate it, who are disproportionately male stop raping and when society stops blaming women for somehow being complicit in this act of violence," Oxford Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre service manager Natalie Brook said.

Legally I thought only males could rape as the crime of rape requires a penis to commit.
Rape

(1)A person (A) commits an offence if—

(a)he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,

(b)B does not consent to the penetration, and

(c)A does not reasonably believe that B consents.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/section/1

Comments

• Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many of the victims in rape cases she's tried were drunk at the time. I bet not that many. (And odd that she thinks people are much more likely to believe the victim when they were sober.)

I think most rape charities are lobbying for changes in the definition of rape so that penetration with objects and any kind of forced intercourse count as rape. And they kind of talk as if it's already happened.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the victims in rape cases she's tried were drunk at the time. I bet not that many. (And odd that she thinks people are much more likely to believe the victim when they were sober.)

Because being drunk means that there can be reasonable doubt about the accuracy of the victim's account.
    I think most rape charities are lobbying for changes in the definition of rape so that penetration with objects and any kind of forced intercourse count as rape. And they kind of talk as if it's already happened.

Why? Such an act it not rape, it is an assault by penetration. The sentencing is the same, a maximum of life imprisonment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    Because being drunk means that there can be reasonable doubt about the accuracy of the victim's account.
    So why not say that nobody should get drunk, because it makes it more difficult to get a conviction if they're victims of a crime? How come it's just women and rape?
    Why? Such an act it not rape, it is an assault by penetration. The sentencing is the same, a maximum of life imprisonment.
    Because it's functionally identical.

I thought you'd have been all in favour of something that levelled the gender playing field on this.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    So why not say that nobody should get drunk, because it makes it more difficult to get a conviction if they're victims of a crime? How come it's just women and rape?

Because presumably the topic on which the Judge was speaking, was women and rape.

Because it's functionally identical.

I thought you'd have been all in favour of something that levelled the gender playing field on this.

Because one is rape and one is not. The historic definition of rape requires a penis, that's just what it means. The fact that the two are functionally identical is acknowledged by them having almost the exact same sentencing. Theft and Fraud too are functionally identical, but they are still different offences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    Because presumably the topic on which the Judge was speaking, was women and rape.
    I was assuming that she chose to speak on that topic, but to be fair, the article didn't say - she might have been answering a question. Not the impression I got, though.

She does sound like an utter loon, mind you. Quotes from further down:

"Mrs Mowat made headlines in 2011 when she gave a teacher a suspended prison sentence for possessing indecent images of children and told him: "I don’t criticise you for being a teacher who’s attracted to children."

"Many teachers are but they keep their urges under control both when it comes to children and when it comes to images of children," she added.

:o
    Because one is rape and one is not. The historic definition of rape requires a penis, that's just what it means. The fact that the two are functionally identical is acknowledged by them having almost the exact same sentencing. Theft and Fraud too are functionally identical, but they are still different offences.
    Words often have a different, more specific meaning in law than they do in real life. Sometimes the laws change to be more in line with how the words are generally used.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The judge did indicate that some cases were less serious. She did indicate that some cases were more difficult to prove.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will copy my post from the other therad on this where the OP said the Judge was an idiot
    skp20040 wrote: »
    No not really if someone was so drunk they cannot remember what happened then whether they are a reliable witness will come into question and a defence lawyer would tear them to shreds in the witness box ( if the CPS even took it as far as court ) . If the assault took place inside someones home with a person they went home with or allowed in then the defence will claim they did consent but just cannot remember and if there are injuries that are not too bad the defence will just claim they liked it rough. A Jury faced with a person who denies it with an otherwise good character and a witness who cannot remember will probably err with caution and find the accused not guilty

However say if the victim was attacked on their way home outdoors then the situation changes and there would be more chance of conviction because even though the victim could not remember the chances of them consenting to being pulled into a bush and having their clothes ripped off will be far harder for a defence to sell to a jury and one would imagine in such a case the accused will have been caught via DNA or eye witnesses seeing them fleeing ( if the victim cannot remember them )

If the accused has had previous accusations of sexual assault that are allowed to be heard this also would have a bearing.

The cold hard facts if someone cannot remember as they were so drunk are that the defence will claim it was consensual or that there is not enough evidence, so whilst I in no way am defending accused rapists I will say we all have a responisbility to look after ourselves as best we can, and if someone is so drunk at the end of a night out their friends should look out for them , I never understand friends who allow people to go off alone when they are too drunk to walk let alone know what they are doing , make sure they get home ok.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    If one presumes that a drunk person cannot give sexual consent, then being drunk should make it easier to prove rape.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If one presumes that a drunk person cannot give sexual consent, then being drunk should make it easier to prove rape.

If it were to be made that a person under the influence could not give consent the courts would be full .
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And if they were both drunk then who gets charged with rape/sexual assault?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between two people who know each other accusations of rape invariably boil down to "he said, she said" with the added difficulty that two people's kinky sex is another couple's rape.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's right in highlighting that this may be/ is a problem area. I don't see anything wrong in bringing it to the open and allowing discussion on it.

Her choice of words is somewhat questionable though. Also how drunk is too drunk to give consent? Maybe the right way is to not point at those drinking, but educate more about where the lines are of consent to jurors (or in schools, to potential future jurors).
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As in all legal cases its up to the prosecution to prove that an offense did actually occur, we can't have a system where x/y/z are guilty by default as that would make it where every time a couple split up in anger the female would just say he raped her and relax knowing he's doing a life sentence no questions asked

what the judge is saying is that in a case where the persons have had a good skinfull it becomes harder to prove to a reasonable level of doubt that consent was given which may mean that she's probably had to let off some people who are questionable and if those women were a few sheets less to the wind would of secured a conviction as their testimoney would of been considered more solid
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    "...or until some men realise they do not have a God given right to stick their penis in a woman's body without her consent."
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If both people involved are drunk?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    And if they were both drunk then who gets charged with rape/sexual assault?

Could possibly be both
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither

It would have to be one person sober having sex with a drunken and incapacitated person.

gets a bit messy when both had had a few as how do you determine sober/drunk? 3 pints and 2 jagermesiters could send one person to the a&e and another one wouldn't bat an eyelid
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    If both people involved are drunk?

Part of me wants to say that possibly doing the act (most likely the man) proves consent on his part. Hmm that doesn't sound right, but along the same lines that someone underage and therefore cannot give consent legally can still be guilty of rape.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part of me wants to say that possibly doing the act (most likely the man) proves consent on his part..

You can arouse a man with a gun to his head so saying that he gave consent by default is wrong and what happens if he falls asleep with a stonk and the woman decides to use it and then he wakes up to find himself being raped but not raped as women can't rape a man but its the same thing just labelled a bit nicer?
  • Options
    Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    "...or until some men realise they do not have a God given right to stick their penis in a woman's body without her consent."

Who are you quoting?

Anyhow she is correct. Although her phrasing is the worst mess of nonsense I've ever heard; it sounds like she is blaming women and also that the 'improved' statistics would be lower, when in fact they would be higher and more cases would result in convictions.

IMO, there would be the same amount of rape, but more women would be believed and not blamed or have doubt thrown into their case, which ends in the 'not guilty' verdict.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    You can arouse a man with a gun to his head so saying that he gave consent by default is wrong and what happens if he falls asleep with a stonk and the woman decides to use it and then he wakes up to find himself being raped but not raped as women can't rape a man but its the same thing just labelled a bit nicer?

Having a gun to your head clearly shows one of you is being made to do it against your will. Having sex with someone asleep, same thing, no consent is obvious in the case of one party.

The question was "what if both people are drunk?" implying neither is able to give consent.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... short of witnesses, or video evidence, how do you prove that there was a gun pointed at your head?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Rape is never the victims fault. If someone isn't in a fit state to consent, to go ahead and sleep with them is pretty dubious imo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question was "what if both people are drunk?" implying neither is able to give consent.

I suppose its rape both ways and both get a life sentence as if you can't prove one way then you can't prove the other