The Leveson Inquiry: Culture, Practices & Ethics of the Press, 2012 (Part 2)

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Victims' press conf coming up.

That's the interesting one..........the general public will likely be much more influenced by what the Dowlers, McCann and Jefferies says that any politician

I expect they'll all say they feel let down and that could play badly for Cameron..............tho' of course the press will by and large support him

Most people though watch telly ................
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I agree. Cameron has rightly raised the matter of data protection changes which would significant effect investigative journalism.

:D:D:D:D:D

Here....have some parrot seed....either that or please provide us all with the benefit of your personal expertise as either

1) a data commission expert lawyer/investigator

2) an investigative journalist
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,511
    Forum Member
    Victims' press conf coming up.

Cameron is in deep trouble.

Milliband, Clegg and now Hacked Off are strongly against his approach e.g. "I feel betrayed".

Stupid stupid man in *almost entirely* rejecting a legislative underpinning.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear.... Cameron is being slaughtered here!!

Ouch
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    That's the interesting one..........the general public will likely be much more influenced by what the Dowlers, McCann and Jefferies says that any politician

I expect they'll all say they feel let down and that could play badly for Cameron..............tho' of course the press will by and large support him

Most people though watch telly ................

If the things that happened to a lot of those victims was already illegal how would legislation have prevented it?
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically this inquiry into the press has just been a waste of money...... Cameron and co are keeping their pals happy.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow those guys were laying it on thick.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    If the things that happened to a lot of those victims was already illegal how would legislation have prevented it?

Indeed. Nothing in this report will stop future hacking or untrue headlines. All it will mean is a more robust framework in getting compensation and an apology.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    David Cameron is merely a politician, he will never be a statesman.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,511
    Forum Member
    "70% to 80% of the public in opinion polling are in favour of legal underpinning of press regulation".

That doesn't surprise me at all.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically this inquiry into the press has just been a waste of money...... Cameron and co are keeping their pals happy.

Yes - that sums it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Indeed. Nothing in this report will stop future hacking or untrue headlines. All it will mean is a more robust framework in getting compensation and an apology.

If the transgressor has signed up to the new regulatory body. Leveson has proposed membership is voluntary hasn't he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

Milliband, Clegg and now Hacked Off are strongly against his approach e.g. "I feel betrayed".

Surely Cameron knew this would be the outcome of his stand? There must be some hefty pressure on him from somewhere to go against the wishes of Leveson, a large number of politicians and the victims, not to mention the public in general.
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press are responding to Levinson in the same way a child responds to supernanny when she first arrives.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »

Having heard him on the radio I don't get that his is against legislative underpinning - so much that a future government could water down any proposals by a simple legislative change - not such a daft concern given that since 1979 governments with a reasonable majority are in the majority
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't now how much of Leveson you watched live....many victims were not subjected to things that are illegal...for one thing we have no privacy laws in this country...so a lot of intrusion was not against the law but WAS in breach of the PCC code.

This is my fourth Royal Commission/Judicial review into the press...frankly I don't want to have to fund another :mad:
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it should be fines in proportion to their profits. Something that really acts as a deterrent. Currently suing even for blatant lies is too risky for a lot of ordinary people and even if they win they get a few grand and a tiny apology at the bottom of page 23! That's no deterrent. It should make the media think about their sources and keeping to the truth.

I think that's better than restrictions about what they can print.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If cross party support is lacking then there's probably a majority in the HoC anyway. To get statutory regulation on the books.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the fraud and corruption we have seen in recent years from Politicians, I am a bit surprised ta this clamour for them to regulate the press - would we have found out half the things we did if they were in control?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having heard him on the radio I don't get that his is against legislative underpinning - so much that a future government could water down any proposals by a simple legislative change - not such a daft concern given that since 1979 governments with a reasonable majority are in the majority

Future governments could bomb Russia with Trident missiles as well...could make smoking compulsory....could invade the Isle of Man...could kill the first born...it's a silly and facile argument he would not be making if he was in opposition right now
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    Given the fraud and corruption we have seen in recent years from Politicians, I am a bit surprised ta this clamour for them to regulate the press - would we have found out half the things we did if they were in control?

Probably not is the answer to that.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which basically means the 'nobodies' will probably be spared but anyone in power can still have their reputations put through the grinder just so long as you don't mind it costing you a cool million.

I don't blame Cameron for being wary of diving in with legislation. What I think they should do is "advise" the press that they've got six months to sign up and implement Leveson without the under pinning and for those titles that don't say "and here's the state controlled version you will adhere to that future govt's reserve the right to tinker with if you don't.....take your pick"

We live in a democracy so give them the choice. Cat A is still a free press, Cat B a state controlled press - breach the former end up in the latter with all that it entails.
    Forum Member
    Future governments could bomb Russia with Trident missiles as well...could make smoking compulsory....could invade the Isle of Man...could kill the first born...it's a silly and facile argument he would not be making if he was in opposition right now

Nope its a good argument, look at how the anti terror laws are misused now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08/21/local-councils-abusing-anti-terrorism-powers_n_1819715.html
    Forum Member
    Which basically means the 'nobodies' will probably be spared but anyone in power can still have their reputations put through the grinder just so long as you don't mind it costing you a cool million.

I don't blame Cameron for being wary of diving in with legislation. What I think they should do is "advise" the press that they've got six months to sign up and implement Leveson without the under pinning and for those titles that don't say "and here's the state controlled version you will adhere to that future govt's reserve the right to tinker with if you don't.....take your pick"

We live in a democracy so give them the choice. Cat A is still a free press, Cat B a state controlled press - breach the former end up in the latter with all that it entails.

That's pretty much what Cameron said this afternoon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So he shouldn't dive in with legislation...just use it for blackmail...nice one :D