EE 4G Coverage improving really quickly!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    It's because it's not that technically difficult to do. LTE is effectively following the existing 2G coverage. It's not quite that simple because 2G uses TDMA which requires precise cell overlap tuning. LTE is easier to roll out requiring only power level adjustments like UMTS. I think LTE is even easier though as adjacent cells can communicate directly with one another using something called X2 meaning they can self organise better than 3G.
    Please someone correct me if that's bollocks :)

Spot on that is, LTE is nearly where i live too :) shame i cant get much 2g or 3g though :)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I hope to see Aberdeen (Scotland's Third largest city) on the Next announcement and would be great to see the coverage spread between Glasgow & Edinburgh following the M8 corridor (a million vehicles pass through it a month). Other than that LTE is now everywhere I need it, every city :)

Just found out that the Edinburgh trams when launched will have wifi powered by LTE. Not sure who the carrier is yet but a good chance seeing they are doing the deal in the next month that it will be EE.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Ooohh listen to you. LTE everywhere. Smarty pants.
    I'm not jealous at all.........:)
    Who the hell was it that said "it's grim up North"? This is clearly not the case Hahahaha

The trams thing is very interesting. Great idea.
    Forum Member
    Spot on that is, LTE is nearly where i live too :) shame i cant get much 2g or 3g though :)

Well LTE includes better 2G so you should have both when they get there. Who cares about 3G then!
    Forum Member
    Lucan, have you experienced any issues at all with CSFB?
    There are articles suggesting it could impact on the end user experience. From what very little testing I've done on the Plymouth CS mast, it didn't seen to cause any issues at all.
    Forum Member
    Ooohh listen to you. LTE everywhere. Smarty pants.
    I'm not jealous at all.........:)
    Who the hell was it that said "it's grim up North"? This is clearly not the case Hahahaha

The trams thing is very interesting. Great idea.

Superfast Wifi on them is a great idea.. The Edinburgh trams themselves, not convinced. Meant to be finished by 2011 now 2014, meant to cost £375 million for a full route, now only getting half the route and is costing £770 million. Was meant to go past my door, not now. lol.

Most of 2010 - 2012 the centre of Edinburgh looked like this... http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46203000/jpg/_46203736_edinburgh_tram1.jpg
    Forum Member
    CSFB.. It just switches down when a call comes through or when I make one. Really quick. Not done a LTE to 2G switch down yet..
    Not sure why people would have issues?
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well LTE includes better 2G so you should have both when they get there. Who cares about 3G then!

Don't forget 3G is needed for HD Voice as it doesn't work on 2G and 4G is currently only for data and not texts or calls.
    Forum Member
    KesterK wrote: »
    Don't forget 3G is needed for HD Voice as it doesn't work on 2G and 4G is currently only for data and not texts or calls.

Well this is where you're (possibly) wrong. :)
    Huawie reckon that the new 2G will provide sound quality similar to 3G HD. We'll have to wait and see.

Check out paragraph 5 here
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/09/huawei_ee/

EDIT: LTE does carry texts by the way.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is where you're (possibly) wrong. :)
    Huawie reckon that the new 2G will provide sound quality similar to 3G HD. We'll have to wait and see.

Check out paragraph 5 here
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/09/huawei_ee/

EDIT: LTE does carry texts by the way.
    I'm only going by what it says on EE's website somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3g is needed for 'hd voice' however 2g can provide good call quality
    Forum Member
    But an EDGE enabled cell can manage up to something like 58Kbps per time slot so even with one time slot there is more than enough bandwidth for HD.
    Huawei's new 21st century EDGE can probably do more.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But an EDGE enabled cell can manage up to something like 58Kbps per time slot so even with one time slot there is more than enough bandwidth for HD.
    Huawei's new 21st century EDGE can probably do more.

HD voice is 64K though so my research suggests, you have to remember EDGE isn't reliably a certain speed, just like 3G it's a range of speeds depending on the signal quality.

Also a lot of data is taken up in overhead, even though you might get a speedtest of 60Kbps the actual goodput would be lower. Ever tried a Skype call on a really slow internet connection? 2G latency would cause terrible audio delay and dropout..

HD voice needs 3G.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I was probably talking crap but it sort of made sense.
    Huawei say it'll be similar to HD. I dare say this new 2G network will have faster speeds and some of the newer wideband audio codecs only require 32Kbps. Still 300Hz to 14Khz audio.
    Forum Member
    2G can indeed have very similar call quality to HD Voice.. I can't say much more on that.
  • interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are people finding 4GEE? I decided to get a mifi unit and have to say I've been really disappointed with it.

In the places I manage to get a 4G signal the speeds never seem to get much above 6/7 Mb/s... On EE 3G on my iPhone I have regularly had 16Mb/s+ on 3G HSPA+!

My old 3 mifi was far better for speed...I'm on a 30 day sim so may be killing it if it doesn't improve...
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    How are people finding 4GEE? I decided to get a mifi unit and have to say I've been really disappointed with it.

In the places I manage to get a 4G signal the speeds never seem to get much above 6/7 Mb/s... On EE 3G on my iPhone I have regularly had 16Mb/s+ on 3G HSPA+!

My old 3 mifi was far better for speed...I'm on a 30 day sim so may be killing it if it doesn't improve...

Looks like me and you are in the same position, max i ever had was 17Mbps and that was at 4am in the morning. HSPA+/DC-HSPA was faster. before they capped speeds. now they can say there LTE is 5 times faster because they cap the 3g speeds!.
    Forum Member
    I found that i was getting way faster speeds on my iPhone (LTE) than i was getting on the companies 4G Mifi... I gave it to one of our tech guys and he apparently said it was local wifi interference on the default channel.

ONLY Full Monty is capped and even then it's only a percentage of FM users.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When are these new T-Mobile plan changes coming that were mentioned? Didn't some guy say the full Monty was expanding? :/

I thought that was meant to happen on the 22nd, but never did so when are the new T-Mobile plans coming? Also are Orange still changing their plans on the 1st of Feb?
    Forum Member
    ajh94 wrote: »
    When are these new T-Mobile plan changes coming that were mentioned? Didn't some guy say the full Monty was expanding? :/

I thought that was meant to happen on the 22nd, but never did so when are the new T-Mobile plans coming? Also are Orange still changing their plans on the 1st of Feb?

Some guy?, some guy?? How very dare you!! Sorry :)
    Yes, Orange on the first so if you want unlimited data for £51, get it now.
    Forum Member
    I wasn't talking about me then either.
    Oh and I also meant 1st.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry lol, so are all T-Mobile, EE and Orange plans changing on the 1st? So EE has a new 20gb plan, orange is getting rid of unlimited data, not asking you what at all but are T-Mobile plans changing? :)
    Forum Member
    Not really sure to be honest and it appears the EE 20GB plan is only a tempoary offer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Not really sure to be honest and it appears the EE 20GB plan is only a tempoary offer.

Yeah isn't it only till the end of March or something then it goes up to £76/Month? (or is it £71?)

The SIMO plan is obviously cheaper since there is no handset to subsidise, I can't remember by how much though.

Lets hope they just keep the prices low since they'll have some competition sooner rather than later.

I think the t-mobile plans are changing but no sure what to yet.
    Forum Member
    There was talk of Wales being covered by spring. Don't know where it came from though.

A lot could happen by the end of May.