Anybody got Android L (OTA) on their pre 2014 Nexus device yet ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still not got the update on my 2012 N7, perhaps going by reviews I shouldn't install it even when it does arrive.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still nothing on my N4

I have the 3G 2012 N7 so that hasn't been released yet. For the past few week it has been very slow and bordering on the unusable. I tried a full reset and that helped a bit but it is still sluggish. This update can't really make it worse but it looks as if I'm going to have to buy a N9 to replace it.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,620
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    My wife's 2012 nexus has ground to halt with it. She blames me because I talked her into it because I wanted to play with 5.0. You can actually count the seconds between touching the browser icon and anything happening to the point you think your touch didn't register. Then it's more time before you can use it. Even swiping it off standby takes a time. The email client is slow too. She has demanded I put it back the way it was. :blush:

Same here with 2012 Nexus 7 (and irritated wife).

Anyone with that device who hasn't upgraded yet - avoid until Google release fixes.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes same here with the 2012 nexus 7 i stupidly got the update when it notified me what a mistake sluggish beyond belief even tried resetting it but still the same. I wont be making the same mistake when its offered for nexus 4.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody received it on their 2013 Nexus 7 yet ?
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

I'm betting it's been withdrawn , it destroyed my Nexus 2012 a week ago , so maybe they thought better of it .
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got it on my Nexus 7 2012
    After the update it struggled and was very slow, so I cleared the disk cache, which improved it but then bit the bullet and did a factory reset.
    Much better! Responsive & snappy but with a very occasional crash/reboot.

Will wait to see how it settles now.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received this update yesterday and immediately noticed that my already sluggish tablet was now even worse.

I used this guys advice (not intended for the latest update but earlier ones) and it seems to have improved things considerably.

http://www.robschmuecker.com/fix-nexus-7-lag/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    I received this update yesterday and immediately noticed that my already sluggish tablet was now even worse.

I used this guys advice (not intended for the latest update but earlier ones) and it seems to have improved things considerably.

http://www.robschmuecker.com/fix-nexus-7-lag/

I'm guessing any improvement from following those steps are fairly temporary , it didn't make any noticeable difference to my device
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    I'm betting it's been withdrawn , it destroyed my Nexus 2012 a week ago , so maybe they thought better of it .

You may be right. Not downloading anyway.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    I have a Nexus 7 2013, obviously not updated yet; however I cannot see an option under settings which will stop it updating automatically.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Yep, I have Lollipop on my Nexus tablet and it is no exaggeration to say it has made it totally useless. It is slow, unresponsive and unusable. My tablet is nothing more than an paperweight now.

How on earth this update ever got past the testing stage is beyond me. It should never have been released.

They better sort this our quick or I will be looking at Windows products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    I have a Nexus 7 2013, obviously not updated yet; however I cannot see an option under settings which will stop it updating automatically.

I don't recall the previous updates updating automatically. Pretty sure I started them, as I actually watched the update taking place.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Im not even sure I will be able to get to the settings page to do a factory reset - its that slow now.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i been reading that the encryption could be the cuase of older devices slowing down, or even newer devices for that matter.

Which makes sense as encryption takes a fair bit of CPU power.

it can be switched off, try that peoples, and see what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i been reading that the encryption could be the cuase of older devices slowing down, or even newer devices for that matter.

Which makes sense as encryption takes a fair bit of CPU power.

it can be switched off, try that peoples, and see what happens.

How do you switch it off , tried Google but no joy .
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

Yes, i received it last week on my Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi. Thankfully i didn't download it. The next day the notification that Android 5.0 was available disappeared. I think it was pulled. I haven't received any new Android 5.0 notifications since.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    How do you switch it off , tried Google but no joy .

Yes, I wondered that too. These things don't exactly hit you in the eye with their obviousness.
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Yes, i received it last week on my Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi. Thankfully i didn't download it. The next day the notification that Android 5.0 was available disappeared. I think it was pulled. I haven't received any new Android 5.0 notifications since.

I reckon you're right. Nothing has been officially said as yet, though.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have lollipop on Nexus 7 2013 WiFi - downloaded it OTA a few days ago.

Nothing wrong with it.

All that I use is working OK/ Stuff I never use (all of the google apps) I have disabled. Only really interested in on demand TV, e-mail and a bit of web browsing.

I have set the browser to the desktop site and access e-mail (gmail) through there.

I find all the Google apps too controlling - it would be nice to let them be uninstalled but Google is to timid to allow this as they know that most people will dump them straight away.

I even disable my account at every opportunity and wouldn't use Chrome if IE was available.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Still not turned up on my Nexus 7 (2012) yet, even though the young 'un has it and the wife has it on her Nexus 4. Despite the negative press, it's performing really well for them, and for my part I really like the changes. Come on hurry up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still nothing on my 2012 N7 either
  • daydotzdaydotz Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Still waiting 2013 model
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Still nothing on my 2013 Nexus 7
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I very much doubt we'll receive it before the year is out. There's just too much wrong with it. I expect Jan next year to be honest.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android 5.0.1 has just appeared on my 2013 Nexus7. In view of the comments here, I'm very reluctant to install it. The earlier version (5.0) has been sitting on my wife's 2012 model for some time and also remains uninstalled. It ain't broke...