Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't he providing the wood for the coffin? :confused:
  • Options
    emilybemilyb Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know I'm just watching the first ep on +1 now so I haven't got to that bit yet. Did Leanne say men & women have to be separated at the mosque? Maybe Ken went with Simon?
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I thought it was to represent the family of the girl whose life Kal saved, as a mark of respect for his sacrifice, and to support Leanne as they are/were/whatever family.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Wasn't he providing the wood for the coffin? :confused:

Zedan provided plenty of that :p
  • Options
    misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Ken is friends with his mother, I expect he went out of respect for her.
  • Options
    emilybemilyb Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK Simon isn't there - I thought at the bus stop he said he was off school cos he was going? I must have misheard. Srhgts makes a good point, perhaps he was there to pay respect to Kal for saving Amy's life. Although I see Tracy & Liz haven't bothered going.
  • Options
    Lauren_WeezleyLauren_Weezley Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    probably pay his respect or support Leanne.

Like my grandma (on my dad's side) died last march and my uncle Steve (on my mum's side) come to my grandma's funeral to pay his respect and give my other grandma a lift which she's old to drive, he did met her in few time in big family party long time ago.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    Seemed a bit misplaced.

Because Kal saved Ken's granddaughter's life.
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Ken and Leanne are quite close
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Ken is friends with his mother, I expect he went out of respect for her.

Is he? since when? And does she realise he's a serial adulterer?
  • Options
    Joseph_McDonaldJoseph_McDonald Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    She may have heard rumours but in all fairness, I wouldn't go about telling my new friends I was a serial adulterer either... :D
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I thought it was because he (Kal) had saved his granddaughter - pretty obvious really.
  • Options
    a4514a4514 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    emilyb wrote: »
    I don't know I'm just watching the first ep on +1 now so I haven't got to that bit yet. Did Leanne say men & women have to be separated at the mosque? Maybe Ken went with Simon?

Yeah men and women have to be separated at a funeral this usually is the case in the mosque, normally the person is buried the next day after they pass away and woman aren't allowed to go to the cemetery when the body is buried.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Corabal wrote: »
    Seemed a bit misplaced.

I haven't seen it yet but it isn't unusual for Neighbours to attend funerals and there was an extended family link as Kal was his Grandson's De facto StepDad for the past year.

ETA: it was also Ken's Grand Daughter that he died saving so some form of tribute from the Barlow's would be needed.
  • Options
    trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    So he can sprinkle his pearls of wisdom everywhere.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He would have been there to support Leanne as they are very close, also probably to pay his respects due to Kal saving Amy's life.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He excitedly announced he had never been at a Muslim funeral before so he probably just went to satisfy his curiosity.
  • Options
    swishbabyswishbaby Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    He excitedly announced he had never been at a Muslim funeral before so he probably just went to satisfy his curiosity.

Very disrespectful
  • Options
    ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter what people say about Ken, he is still a good looking man for 83 (although Ken isn't meant to be that age, I know) , he's always smart and well dressed, and at the moment , with Peter and Owen gone, he is still the best looking older man on the Street:D I mean who else do we have, Kevin, Lloyd, Tim, Dev, Michael?:o The Nazir Dad is not bad , either , for an old guy IMO:blush:
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim is gorgeous :cool:
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Leanne. Or tokenism.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swishbaby wrote: »
    Very disrespectful

I thought it was out of character for Ken to be so rude too but at least Dev called him out on it
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »

Yes, that was disrespectful and out of place, as if it were more about his gaining a new experience than honoring the dead.

The thing is, given that Ken does have an enquiring mind and is an educator (of himself as well as others) i can see that he would find the insight into another culture very interesting and rewarding but he should have had more sense (and respect) than to vocalise it. The most charitable slant on it is that he was with two other non Muslims so perhaps thought it was a new thing for them too and they might want to discuss it?
  • Options
    morrisleemorrislee Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Kal saved Amy that is why he was there
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken's grandson, Simon, had accepted Kal as his stepfather and Kal and Leanne were to be married, so I suppose Ken thinks of the Nazirs as extended family. Will Tracy ever be found out, or will Carla always be the hate figure in the street?