Digital Spy link problem

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone help with the following:

Everytime I do the main Digital Spy website to catch up on the latest showbiz and entertainment news, I always click on the links where it says showbiz, music, movies, etc. Recently I tried to click on the links but nothing happened, so can anyone help?

Before anyone asks, the problem only happens on the main Digital Spy website and not the forums or any other website.

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have an ablocker?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adblocker I mean.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have AdBlock Plus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disable or modify that and I think you'll find it'll work.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never have/had issue's navigating D/S with addblock plus ,would rule that out
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a stray ad container hovering over the area that you are trying to click AB+ has blocked the advert, but not the CSS container that holds that element. If you have the element hiding helper for Adblock+ you will be able to use that to get rid of it.

Select it, hover over the problem area with the mouse until you find a box the same size as the area you are having problems with and click in it. Check it is hiding the correct element then click apply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Disable or modify that and I think you'll find it'll work.

Disabled AdBlock Plus, but the problem remains.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    There will be a stray ad container hovering over the area that you are trying to click AB+ has blocked the advert, but not the CSS container that holds that element. If you have the element hiding helper for Adblock+ you will be able to use that to get rid of it.

Select it, hover over the problem area with the mouse until you find a box the same size as the area you are having problems with and click in it. Check it is hiding the correct element then click apply.

I honestly thought that fixing the problem is easy, but judging by your reply, it's not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REDBUS wrote: »
    never have/had issue's navigating D/S with addblock plus ,would rule that out

So is that your troubleshooting methodolody then, to rule stuff out because you've never had a problem? without even saying what browser you're using, what version, whether you're using easylist or another list from ABP etc..:rolleyes:

The reason why I suggested disabling adblock+ is because I've seen this happen several times and it was the most likely cause.

See http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=62217538

OP just make sure, if you disabled the addon that you clear your cache and reload the browser before re-testing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is that your troubleshooting methodolody then, to rule stuff out because you've never had a problem? without even saying what browser you're using, what version, whether you're using easylist or another list from ABP etc..:rolleyes:

The reason why I suggested disabling adblock+ is because I've seen this happen several times and it was the most likely cause.

See http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=62217538

OP just make sure, if you disabled the addon that you clear your cache and reload the browser before re-testing.

I've done what you told me, but the problem remains.

I reckon it must be the website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    I've done what you told me, but the problem remains.

I reckon it must be the website.

What browser, OS, what addons do you have? something in your setup must be causing it.
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the same at work when I use Chrome - no addons,

IE and Firefox are ok.

DS is the only site it happens on.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the home page, I can't click on anything, I have to right click and open in a new tab/window for it to work. Only started happening recently and is very, very annoying. Works fine on my other computers using the same browser and settings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd as I'm using Chrome with no issues clicking on those things. I'd raise it with DS using the support section.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What browser, OS, what addons do you have? something in your setup must be causing it.

I've got Firefox, Internet Explorer, Waterfox, Pale Moon and Google Chrome as my browsers.

I use Chrome as my main browser.

The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

The addons or extensions as Chrome likes to call it are as follows:

Adblock Plus 1.3.1

AutoPager Chrome 0.7.1.4

avast! WebRep 7.0.1474

Awesome New Tab 2012.147.2.0

Clock 1.16

DivX Plus Web Player HTML5 <video> 2.1.2.145

Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) 2.0.10

Favourite Doodle 1.22

RealPlayer HTML5Video Downloader Extension 1.5

SiteAdvisor 3.60.123.1

Skype Click To Call 6.4.0.11328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd as I'm using Chrome with no issues clicking on those things. I'd raise it with DS using the support section.

Even if I do contact DS, they will not give me a reply.

Just another example of poor service by DS.

Sad and pathetic.
  • AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    I have a similar sort of problem with Chrome, and found a suggestion somewhere that it may be related to the cache.
    I tried the site that wouldn't work properly for me in incognito mode and it worked perfectly.
    As using incognito permanently isn't very convenient, it doesn't actually solve the problem though.
    I wonder if Google have dropped the ball for once in making Chrome Windows 8 compatible? Hopefully if that is true they will fix it quickly...they usually do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update.

I've founded out that the problem is HTML5.

Can anyone explain and help?
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you using an extension to block trackers - something like 'Do not track plus'? I was having exactly this issue with DS yesterday and tracked it down to the fact that Omniture was being blocked by DNT+. I disabled DNT+ and installed Ghostery. This still reports Omniture as blocked, but the links now work.

The whole issue of tracker blockers seems more complicated than simple ad blocking. A while ago I gave up using Ghostery because it prevented video clips for running on the Telegraph site. Now videos play fine with Ghostery active. I've also noticed a number of side effects with DNT+ that can be resolved by selectively switching off blocks on particular sites.
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also been having a problem with Digital Spy's links not working, lately, which sounds very much like it may be related to the problem you've been experiencing.

Please see the thread I started recently:

"Cannot Click on Links within Digital Spy Forums Emails, with Yahoo Mail, at Present" (within PC & Mac Hardware and Software)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1765668
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The behaviour (misbehaviour) of links in DS seems to change frequently and the problems seem to go away if you disable ad and tracker blockers. Is it paranoid to wonder whether this is the result of somebody's cunning plan, rather than mere chance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    I've also been having a problem with Digital Spy's links not working, lately, which sounds very much like it may be related to the problem you've been experiencing.

Please see the thread I started recently:

"Cannot Click on Links within Digital Spy Forums Emails, with Yahoo Mail, at Present" (within PC & Mac Hardware and Software)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1765668

The problem is not with emails, but the actual site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Are you using an extension to block trackers - something like 'Do not track plus'? I was having exactly this issue with DS yesterday and tracked it down to the fact that Omniture was being blocked by DNT+. I disabled DNT+ and installed Ghostery. This still reports Omniture as blocked, but the links now work.

The whole issue of tracker blockers seems more complicated than simple ad blocking. A while ago I gave up using Ghostery because it prevented video clips for running on the Telegraph site. Now videos play fine with Ghostery active. I've also noticed a number of side effects with DNT+ that can be resolved by selectively switching off blocks on particular sites.

No. I am not using an extension to block trackers.
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    The problem is not with emails, but the actual site.

Yes, but the emails which contain links that do not work, are sent to me from the Digital Spy Website. All my other emails from everywhere else have perfectly working links.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, nobody has a solution then?

Typical.