Options

PayPal email scam??

LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
Forum Member
Ive received an email saying its from PayPal saying Your PayPal account has been limited untill we hear from you.

Now Ive not opened it but the address says from

service <verified@serverspamaccount.gq

Should I ignore it and delete it or is it real . Im not that computer wise so tend to be a bit careful on things like this.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost certainly a Phishing email.

If there is a link for you to log in, that would confirm it. Obviously don't click this.

I would log in to Paypal independently of the email and then look in the help section for an email address to forward phishing emails to.

EDIT, just looked at the sender email address. Definitely not genuine. But I would still look for where to forward it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    naquada wrote: »
    Almost certainly a Phishing email.

If there is a link for you to log in, that would confirm it. Obviously don't click this.

I would log in to Paypal independently of the email and then look in the help section for an email address to forward phishing emails to.

EDIT, just looked at the sender email address. Definitely not genuine. But I would still look for where to forward it.

Thanks for that I thought it looked a bit iffy but thought Id ask on DS because there is always somebody on here who can help lol....;-) Went on to the real PayPal ....and eventually found the email to send it to ..... spoof@paypal.co.uk
  • Options
    stripestripe Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we had a email like this a few years ago, followed by a 'your money has now been returned' type message.
    so logged into paypal via browser not link, and sure enough someone had emptied our bank account, but to be fair to paypal they spotted it and had our money stopped and returned within a few hours.

so always worth checking before deleting
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get a lot of 'your account as been suspended' emails, so all I did was went on the actual paypal website to sign in and it wasn't suspended, so I just ignore these now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember a good few years ago I had a Halifax credit card. Now I think Im like most people then you didnt really check your statements it was in the days when there wasnt as much fraud as now. Anyway my statement came and I looked at it and saw £6 had been taken out. Now I knew it wasnt me because it had been used to buy how can I put this is polite terms....on a sex site :o No idea what they were buying for £6 but I phoned the Halifax and got a refund lol.

Early on this year I got an email from Amazon.com confirming my order for well over £400 for 2 things that had been bought of my credit card. It was an underwater camera ( terrified of water ) and a drone (terrified of heights as well) . It had my correct name and email address and my correct home address. So I phoned the bank and they cancelled my card and they gave me the number of Amazon fraud dept to call. They were really nice lovely man with an American accent ;-) He cancelled the order for me and closed my account. But it was with the American Amazon not the UK one.
  • Options
    WillButcherWillButcher Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forward the email to: spoof@paypal.com, then mark the email as spam.

This makes them aware of the email if they are not already.

I used to get a few of them, I forwarded everyone of them to tjat address.

You can do the same with ebay by emailing: spoof@ebay.com too.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pity they cannot be returned to sender and on arrival it would blow them off the face of the earth.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always best to go to the actual site and then find out what's happening. If you can't find what you're looking for, contact the company from the site.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It's always best to go to the actual site and then find out what's happening. If you can't find what you're looking for, contact the company from the site.

That would be the sensible thing to do but the senders of such emails rely on the recipients not being sensible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What made me notice it first was it came from service thats what I noticed first . What ever happened to the days when the worse you got in your emails was for willie enlargments :D
  • Options
    john_smith115john_smith115 Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Ive received an email saying its from PayPal saying Your PayPal account has been limited untill we hear from you.

Should I ignore it and delete it or is it real . Im not that computer wise so tend to be a bit careful on things like this.
    Thanks

Ignore it. It's a scam. Don't open any link that no doubt will want you to give them details.
    I was getting them for months though stopped now.
    They must have moved on to you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Thanks

Often it is a only spam.
    ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................