League Two Thread 16-17

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
Forum Member
✭✭
A thread to discuss all League Two matters for the upcoming season

I'm quietly confident now Notts have John Sheridan and have made sensible new signings. Play offs at least are a realistic aim, though Plymouth and Portsmouth are nailed on as top 2

What does everyone else think ahead of the new season?

Comments

• ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pompey were supposidly nailed on for top 2 last season:( We've brought in a few good players, but are still really light in the goalkeeper department with our only fit one a youth player.
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My predicted for 2016/17 season, I think Doncaster, Portsmouth and Notts County will end up in top 3, if Sheridan do well as he did for us (Oldham) second half of last season then I feel County may surprise few people this season.

Play offs I feel will be Leyton Orient, Carlisle, Wycombe and Exeter with Blackpool, Plymouth and Luton just missing out on top 7 finishes.

For bottom 2 is hard to predicted but I'm going for Newport and Hartlepool but do feel Morcambe and Barnet may straggle this season and could be ones that finish in bottom 2 aswell.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My predicted for 2016/17 season, I think Doncaster, Portsmouth and Notts County will end up in top 3, if Sheridan do well as he did for us (Oldham) second half of last season then I feel County may surprise few people this season.

Play offs I feel will be Leyton Orient, Carlisle, Wycombe and Exeter with Blackpool, Plymouth and Luton just missing out on top 7 finishes.

For bottom 2 is hard to predicted but I'm going for Newport and Hartlepool but do feel Morcambe and Barnet may straggle this season and could be ones that finish in bottom 2 aswell.

County should be top 7 at least. Top 3 could be realistic with Sheridan. Portsmouth, Plymouth and Doncaster are my tips for the top 3. Crewe and Morecambe to go down

Tough away trip to Yeovil to start the season but I think we'll edge a 1-0 win
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreadful start to the season for Notts as we lose 2-0 at Yeovil. Yeovil are a physical, dirty side who Notts and the weak players from last season struggled to cope with. Adam Collin was fouled in the build up to the first goal but it was his error that led to the 2nd goal. Very disappointing debut considering Notts's high standard of keepers over the years. Not too negative because last year we had a great first day win at Stevenage (who we play at home next week) before a poor season. Scunthorpe in the EFL Cup first though
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We (Crawley) beat Wycombe 1-0.

We had a pretty crappy last season, so hopefully this one turns out a little better.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange game for Pompey - went 1-0 down due to a silly mistake in defence, then had to play against 10 for most of the match who promptly put everyone behind the ball, defended deep and tried to kill the match - exactly what anyone else would have done. However the signs of last season were still there - pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, with little creativity or change in pace, but had enough chances to win. Still, cannot base the whole season on just the opening game. Carlisles keeper (Gillespie?) had an outstanding match despite using every trick in the book to waste time.

Last seasons squad has been mostly kept, but with several new players who do look pretty tidy and based on nothing other than watching them for 90 minutes look streets ahead of those replaced.

Over 12500 season tickets sold and just short of 18000 in yesterday - which is great for L2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drew 1-1 to Stevenage today. After a poor start, Notts were excellent from Stead's chip after 18 minutes up until half time and should have been 3-1 up as Stead and Audel hit the woodwork. However, 2nd half Stevenage were dominant and Notts faded a bit. All in all, a draw was a fair result as Stevenage seem to be back to their old self like they were under Westley

Plymouth at home on Tuesday. Not sure if its good or bad for us that Plymouth have lost their first 2 games, they will have a point to prove
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost 2-1 to Plymouth last night. 2nd half was dominant from Notts which proves to me that Notts will be fine with a more consistent goal scorer. Plymouth were similar to how they were last season as a very counTed attacking team. Sheridan will get there with Notts.

Hartlepool and Crawley away will be tough games as both are unbeaten but I think Notts will sneak a win in one of those games. Exeter now the only team on 0 points
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    County won 2-1 at Hartlepool today. Nothing more to say other than the fact that Notts finally got the win to kickstart our season. Very rare for us to come back from behind as well

Crawley away next week will be difficult as they are still unbeaten
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know is bit early but I'm started to think Morecambe may be surprise package in this division as they beat Accrington 3-2 (it look like Acc when down to 10 men while they were 2-0 up) and now stay top of table with two points lead over Luton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 away wins in a row for Notts at sides who were previously unbeaten as we win 3-1 at Crawley today. Notts only really woke up when Crawley went 1-0 up early in the 2nd half but after that we were fantastic. Adam Campbell in particular stood out and scored a great goal. I always seem to miss Notts's rare away wins so nice to actually attend one for once

Two home games against Grimsby and Accrington will be interesting now Notts are high on confidence
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how to feel about Notts drawing 2-2 with Grimsby today. First 70 minutes Notts were poor and deserved to be 2-0 down. Out of nowhere Notts managed to perform for the last 20 minutes and get it back to 2-2, even missing a penalty which could have won the game for us. If Notts can perform for 90 minutes then a promotion challenge is possible, just not consistent for any whole games yet. Grimsby should challenge too, they brought over 2000 fans today and Notts will bring similar numbers to Grimsby in January if we are in the promotion race. Some of Grimsby's fans invaded the pitch after going 1-0 up which was a bit strange.

Accrington at home next Saturday, looking forward to it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a pretty promising start to the season, we've lost to both Notts County & Portsmouth. Losing 3-0 to Portsmouth today is annoying as we've been playing pretty well lately.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good 4-2 win over Wycombe today, making 4 wins in a row to take us 2nd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor performance from Notts as we lose 2-0 at home to an Accrington side who were nothing special other than being well organised. Bring on Cheltenham away next week

Plymouth have climbed to the top of League Two while Cambridge and Derry are still without a win
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notts win 3-2 at Cheltenham today. Scored with our only 3 shots on target and Cheltenham were the better side. A win's a win though and I'll take that any day. Now to finally win at home against Leyton Orient next week

Derry will be gone soon as Cambridge remain winless. Doncaster and Crewe looking strong and bouncing back after relegation. I thought Crewe would go down again to be honest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notts finally win at home by beating a poor Leyton Orient side 3-1. Notts were cruising at 2-0, let Orient back into the game when Laing was controversially sent off. Then on the counter Aaron Collins scores a Grealish style solo effort to win the game beautifully.

Long trip to Exeter on Tuesday before big games at home to Morecambe and Mansfield away
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portsmouth getting better game by game at home:
    First match - 1-1 v Carlisle
    Second match - 2-0 v Colchester
    Third match - 3-0 v Crawley
    Fourth match - 4-2 v Wycombe
    Fifth match - 5-1 v Barnet
    Can't see us getting 6 against Doncaster though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plymouth seen to be doing well since they poor start, seven straight win tonight and now five points clear at top of table. they started to look good bet to go up this season knowing it still early in season.

Notice top half of teams are quite closes with only two points between Luton in 2nd and Crawley in 12th place. :o

Also notice Carlisle are still unbeaten but have seven draw in first 10 matches, look like they got tough games coming up so they unbeaten run may come to end in coming weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notts win 2-0 at Exeter last night who seem to be bored of Tisdale. 3 wins in a row, 4 straight away wins, Stead joint top football league goal scorer and up to 5th. It could get even better

Leyton Orient are a laughing stock at the moment, more managerial drama and went down to 9 men last night
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notts v Morecambe abandoned after 10 minutes today due to torrential rain. Was alright weather drinking in a beer garden until a downpour and thunderstorm as of about 2:35. Game was never going to continue after that and I look forward to cold, deserted Meadow Lane on a Tuesday night

Massive month for Notts though, so important to take advantage of the game in hand. Here is our October;

8th - Mansfield (A)
    15th - Crewe (H)
    22nd - Portsmouth (A)
    29th - Luton (H)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did rain here in Plymouth for about 10 minutes even though the sun as out as well.

We beat Blackpool 1-0 today. Things are looking up for Crawley so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Notts v Morecambe abandoned after 10 minutes today due to torrential rain. Was alright weather drinking in a beer garden until a downpour and thunderstorm as of about 2:35. Game was never going to continue after that and I look forward to cold, deserted Meadow Lane on a Tuesday night

Massive month for Notts though, so important to take advantage of the game in hand. Here is our October;

8th - Mansfield (A)
    15th - Crewe (H)
    22nd - Portsmouth (A)
    29th - Luton (H)

You should be ok with those fixtures, besides maybe Portsmouth. They beat us 3-0 pretty easily a few weeks ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »

Any reason why they didn't delay kick off to see if weather improve instead of playing for 10 mins then call off the match?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doncaster looked good at Fratton Park today and if this is representative of them they will be very near the top next May.

Portsmouth had a good home record, but to be fair Barnet, Wycombe and Crawley are not exactly a nailed on trio for promotion. We get to play a decent team who got into us and would not give us time and we choked.