Options

Will Antonio Conte succeed at Chelsea?

Tip top 2Tip top 2 Posts: 784
Forum Member
✭✭
It was a winning start against a mediocre to poor West Ham side, and while Conte looks passionate and astute as a coach, the performance did not look convincing at all.

Oscar and Pedro need showing the door, Fabregas retained for his sublime assists, and another world class midfielder is needed. Someone in the mould of Joao Mario, a tough attack minded player.

The club also need a full back and a centre back very quickly. The signings should have been completed earlier, and I can only see the club maybe scraping into the top four, unless the squad is significantly strengthened.

It seems that the board are going to play a big part in whether Conte succeeds or not, and the Manchester clubs are way ahead when it comes to signing transfer targets.

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends what succeed is defined as, does it mean winning the league?
    Getting back into the Champions League?
    Winning a cup??

Once that is settled, then we can better gauge if he will or might be a success or not.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good that you waited a full 90 minutes and three points before getting under the covers and sobbing about your hopeless season.

Who needs enemies
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is with this whole 'not impressed' after the first game talk.

It will take some time just as it will at City.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    If Chelsea actually let conte build something then yeah he can succeed. If they don't make top 4 and they sack him that will be a joke.

Conte needs two transfer windows minimum to build his own team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends what succeed is defined as, does it mean winning the league?
    Getting back into the Champions League?
    Winning a cup??

Once that is settled, then we can better gauge if he will or might be a success or not.

The club have wanted to be at the pinnacle in recent years, and a problem more recently is not being willing to strengthen the squad when needed. Also hanging onto players that aren't quite good enough. Maybe the board are just aiming for the top four. Conte is a winner, and he will want to win the league and even the CL. Therein lies a possible problem..
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cam on the Chewls!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A positive comment from Cahill on the changes brought to the club by Conte. Fitness, organisation and spirit..

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/08/important-additions.html
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    If Chelsea actually let conte build something then yeah he can succeed. If they don't make top 4 and they sack him that will be a joke.

Conte needs two transfer windows minimum to build his own team.

Pretty much this.

Chelsea's problems over the years, despite the huge investment, have been largely of their own making. The only manager they have ever been willing to commit time to is Mourinho - and even then that comes with caveats. Anybody and everybody else is treated as highly disposable.

If Chelsea are outside the top four at Christmas, the sad and unfortunate reality is that Conte will be facing the sack, rather than given the time he needs.
  • Options
    Monkey HarrisMonkey Harris Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

Chelsea's problems over the years, despite the huge investment, have been largely of their own making. The only manager they have ever been willing to commit time to is Mourinho - and even then that comes with caveats. Anybody and everybody else is treated as highly disposable.

If Chelsea are outside the top four at Christmas, the sad and unfortunate reality is that Conte will be facing the sack, rather than given the time he needs.

I think we may actually give him a bit longer than others have got but in all honesty you are right, he won't get time to build something if it doesn't go well.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conte will succeed at Chelsea. Unfortunately.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conte will succeed at Chelsea. Unfortunately.

Not sure tbh.

By the way your inbox is full. :p
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure tbh.

By the way your inbox is full. :p

1st part: A couple more signings which I'm sure he'll make and Chelsea will win something this season. He's top drawer and they don't have CL distractions.

2nd part: Not any more - but be quick. I think a holiday is imminent ;-)
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Chelsea will win the league this season, but I can see them finishing in the automatic Champions League places, so from that perspective, he will have had a successful season, when compared to their previous season.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the title is between the Manchester clubs for me. Then a fight between Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs (in no particular order) for the other two CL places.
    I'm fairly confident that Chelsea will do better than last season, but it's hard to imagine we could do any worse ! I think Conte will get another season providing we stay in contention, but top 6 will be a minimum requirement. It may depend on any signings we make in the next couple of weeks. If Emenalo & Co can't land the players Conte is looking for, could he really be blamed if we miss out in a top 4 finish ?
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    Yes, the title is between the Manchester clubs for me. Then a fight between Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs (in no particular order) for the other two CL places.
    I'm fairly confident that Chelsea will do better than last season, but it's hard to imagine we could do any worse ! I think Conte will get another season providing we stay in contention, but top 6 will be a minimum requirement. It may depend on any signings we make in the next couple of weeks. If Emenalo & Co can't land the players Conte is looking for, could he really be blamed if we miss out in a top 4 finish ?

If no quality defenders come in during the next couple of weeks then we can forget the top 4 i think. It will be top 6 at best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another early test against a team with two dangerous strikers. Conte has done very well re' getting the team fit and motivated. It's also good that he acknowledges the need for 2 or 3 more additions to the squad. If a player wants to leave their club and join Chelsea, I wouldn't have though the selling club would want to keep an unhappy player, so there might be activity towards the end of this month.

This is a match when I don't think the manager would have picked Terry and Cahill. It would have been one of them plus the new CB. Conte knows there is not nearly enough pace at the back with Terry and Cahill together and virtually no room to play a higher line which limits the team tactically.

Watching Man Utd v Southampton last night, Mata was outstanding in disturbing the ball very quickly and accurately. In a different class to Oscar and Willian there. I'm well aware that both of those players are working very hard for the team. Willian always runs well, and so does Oscar when the spotlight's on him. The team need quicker and more accurate distribution though if they are going to create clear chances, and for all the possession against West Ham, there were few clear chances created.

If you watch Willian closely, he takes far too long to distribute the ball from the right usually, and by the time he does, the opposition are ready and set. Cuadrado needs to be challenging for his position, and given the right backing could do very well.

Scraping wins can be dangerous, because those slight wins can quickly turn into draws and then defeats. The team is looking good, but not good enough yet to challenge for the PL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scraping wins is what will see us challenging for top 4 rather than 10th. They aren't dangerous, they are vital. If we can get points on the board while the manager is getting to grips with things and sussing out the PL then thats great and will stand us in good stead later in the season when any new signing have bedded in and he is more accustomed to the English game.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tip top 2 wrote: »
    Another early test against a team with two dangerous strikers. Conte has done very well re' getting the team fit and motivated. It's also good that he acknowledges the need for 2 or 3 more additions to the squad. If a player wants to leave their club and join Chelsea, I wouldn't have though the selling club would want to keep an unhappy player, so there might be activity towards the end of this month.

This is a match when I don't think the manager would have picked Terry and Cahill. It would have been one of them plus the new CB. Conte knows there is not nearly enough pace at the back with Terry and Cahill together and virtually no room to play a higher line which limits the team tactically.

Watching Man Utd v Southampton last night, Mata was outstanding in disturbing the ball very quickly and accurately. In a different class to Oscar and Willian there. I'm well aware that both of those players are working very hard for the team. Willian always runs well, and so does Oscar when the spotlight's on him. The team need quicker and more accurate distribution though if they are going to create clear chances, and for all the possession against West Ham, there were few clear chances created.

If you watch Willian closely, he takes far too long to distribute the ball from the right usually, and by the time he does, the opposition are ready and set. Cuadrado needs to be challenging for his position, and given the right backing could do very well.

Scraping wins can be dangerous, because those slight wins can quickly turn into draws and then defeats. The team is looking good, but not good enough yet to challenge for the PL.

what an assasination of our best player last season. ridiculous
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no fan of Willian, but Cuadrado is not defo not any better.
    Willian did improve a bit last season and was at least more positive with a bit more end product to his game, but still not enough for my liking. Still too much running and not enough goals or creativity. Same with Oscar!
    Early days, but it looks like we are yet again going to rely far too heavily on Hazard and Costa for creativity and goals.

Conte having a whinge about the crazy prices for medium level talent going for £55 million. He is dead right about that! But, the hard reality is Chelsea have to stump up or get left behind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    Conte having a whinge about the crazy prices for medium level talent going for £55 million. He is dead right about that! But, the hard reality is Chelsea have to stump up or get left behind.

Its the old arsenal problem.

is it really worth spending 200 million just to finish second?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    Its the old arsenal problem.

is it really worth spending 200 million just to finish second?

Its probably not but on the other hand if you dont there is no way the title will be won. Arsenal have made their choice based on non football reasons and its ended up costing them titles on the pitch. They have thrown the towel in as far as ambition is concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The substitutions made a massive difference, and Fabregas surely has to start from now on. Very slow build up without him.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cesc is class and should be one of the first names on the team sheet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6 out of 6 for chelsea!

conte not doing bad
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's grounded out 2 positive results against awkward, tricky opposition. So far so good for him.