Options

Car insurance/ tax when selling privately

TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
Forum Member
✭✭
If I sell my car and tell the insurance company to cancel the insurance from midnight Saturday night, so that the new owners insurance starts from midnight Sunday morning, how can he do the tax to run from midnight Sunday
Could the tax be done Sunday morning, meaning it is untaxed from midnight
I want to avoid overlapping of the tax and insurance

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Tellystar wrote: »
    If I sell my car and tell the insurance company to cancel the insurance from midnight Saturday night, so that the new owners insurance starts from midnight Sunday morning, how can he do the tax to run from midnight Sunday
    Could the tax be done Sunday morning, meaning it is untaxed from midnight

As you do tax on-line now, you can presumably do it any time of night or day.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the road tax will start from the beginning of the month regardless. You will also not receive a refund for the month that has already started. It will overlap.

It will start from the 1st of the (current) month - not midnight Sunday.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless surely once the necessary bits have been done, is it not up to the new owner to ensure they are fully legal to drive the car away?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new owner is a relative, so I'll probably be doing it online!
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure theres a buffer, its going to be hard to sell a car and have two people sat with fingers on the button at the exact same moment. Just make sure the cars off the road as sod's law will generally strike when for the first time in 35 years pc plod will visit your street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Pretty sure theres a buffer, its going to be hard to sell a car and have two people sat with fingers on the button at the exact same moment. Just make sure the cars off the road as sod's law will generally strike when for the first time in 35 years pc plod will visit your street.

I would hope there is a buffer
    Never done this before so don't want to fall foul of regulations
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why? You're only going to get a tax refund for full months anyway.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would hope there is a buffer
    Never done this before so don't want to fall foul of regulations

As I have already said you will not be able to start it on a day of your choice apart from the 1st of the month. You could do it on the 1st of the month as a lot of people do.

If (for example) you buy your road tax tomorrow morning it will start from the 1st September. Likewise you will not receive a refund for September on your old car's VED.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to worry about insurances syncing up either.
    The new owner can insure the car from when they take possession, it doesn't have to co-incide exactly with your policy being cancelled.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to this thread we taxed my 17 year olds newly purchased car this morning when his logbook came. Couldn't do it online last night without the logbook. None of us in this house knew anything about the tax not transferring over with the car which he only bought last week.

So, thanks.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread we taxed my 17 year olds newly purchased car this morning when his logbook came. Couldn't do it online last night without the logbook. None of us in this house knew anything about the tax not transferring over with the car which he only bought last week.

So, thanks.

You could have taxed it online using the new keeper slip (V5C2), or was that not available?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    You could have taxed it online using the new keeper slip (V5C2), or was that not available?

I tried but it kept saying it was invalid, probably because the old owner had done his bit online. Once that was done we had no option to wait for the logbook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried but it kept saying it was invalid, probably because the old owner had done his bit online. Once that was done we had no option to wait for the logbook.

I don't understand what went wrong there,
    so should I ell the DVLA first, so that my husbands tax is automatically cancelled then my son can tax it in his name
    , or should my son tax it first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd get your son to tax it first using the number on the v5c/2. Thats what we didnt do. Once the DVLA were told and the old cancelled the 12 digit number you have to quote no longer applied. Once they process the change of owber that number is invalid and you can only do it online with the 11 digit number from the new logbook...at least thats how it worked for us. Thankfully, the logbook came through quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd get your son to tax it first using the number on the v5c/2. Thats what we didnt do. Once the DVLA were told and the old cancelled the 12 digit number you have to quote no longer applied. Once they process the change of owber that number is invalid and you can only do it online with the 11 digit number from the new logbook...at least thats how it worked for us. Thankfully, the logbook came through quickly.

Thanks
    I bet a lot of people didn't realise that
    I didn't see any mention of a possible problem like yours when I researched online
    is the online process of tellingDVLA you've sold the car 24/7?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so...we were the buyer so not 100% on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went onto DVLA website today to do the change of ownership thing
    Guess what- the site was down for maintenance till Monday ! Frustrating!
    Managed to do tax for new keeper, though