Options

Are Man Utd facing mid table or even lower?

Tip top 2Tip top 2 Posts: 784
Forum Member
✭✭
This is a serious question, and I'm not having a go at Man Utd. Last season, there was a good chance Chelsea were facing relegation. Mourhino does not seem to get respect and control any more and seems to quickly alienate a section of the squad. It does seem to be a re run of last season. From an objective point of view, Pochettino or Koeman would have been much better bets for the Man Utd role.

Comments

• Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mourinho is a Chelsea fan, he wears his Chelsea pants to every game, he's out to destroy United, remember in the old days, Mourinho's number 1 priority would have been Kante, not Pogba, but this time he just let Chelsea have Kante ? :p
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    Mourinho is a Chelsea fan, he wears his Chelsea pants to every game, he's out to destroy United, remember in the old days, Mourinho's number 1 priority would have been Kante, not Pogba, but this time he just let Chelsea have Kante ? :p

I take it you didn't see his post match interview after Real Madrid knocked us out of the CL then ? Practically grovelling for the job he was.
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man U will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

We've played only 5 games, there are still 33 to go and they will click in to gear.

They may have had 3 losses in a row, but against City they were just beaten by a better team/manager, midweek they wont really care about, so it is only really the result yesterday that may raise an alarm.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,049
    Forum Member
    Kante seems like a typical Mourinho player all over. Would have been ideal for United.

Still very early days with his new club, but he definitely seems to be making the mistake of trying to fit too many square pegs in round holes at the moment.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,926
    Forum Member
    Tip top 2 wrote: »
    This is a serious question, and I'm not having a go at Man Utd. Last season, there was a good chance Chelsea were facing relegation. Mourhino does not seem to get respect and control any more and seems to quickly alienate a section of the squad. It does seem to be a re run of last season. From an objective point of view, Pochettino or Koeman would have been much better bets for the Man Utd role.

How do you know that the Man Utd squad don't respect him or that he has alienated them?:confused:
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why has jose placed the latest defeat at the hands of luke shaw?

Its pretty bad to single someone out after so few games. If he was that bad jose, why not take him off?
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    why has jose placed the latest defeat at the hands of luke shaw?

Its pretty bad to single someone out after so few games. If he was that bad jose, why not take him off?

I've just been reading that Shaw is undergoing scans on possible groin problem.
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    This sort of stuff usually happens season 2 or 3 with Mourinho but we're already at the stage of singling players out and making up pretty poor excuses after defeats. Even when trying to shift the blame onto referees, other team etc it's not with the same vigour as he used to, more mumbling now.

Still relatively early days but the signs aren't great if your a United fan.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    Man U will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

We've played only 5 games, there are still 33 to go and they will click in to gear.

They may have had 3 losses in a row, but against City they were just beaten by a better team/manager, midweek they wont really care about, so it is only really the result yesterday that may raise an alarm.

Are you talking about the Europa League, when you say that we wouldn't really care about the defeat in Holland??
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about the Europa League, when you say that we wouldn't really care about the defeat in Holland??

Yeah the Europa League
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »
    This sort of stuff usually happens season 2 or 3 with Mourinho but we're already at the stage of singling players out and making up pretty poor excuses after defeats. Even when trying to shift the blame onto referees, other team etc it's not with the same vigour as he used to, more mumbling now.

Still relatively early days but the signs aren't great if your a United fan.

yeah, he hasn't even got the hunger to prpoperly whinge like a little cry baby anymore:p, say what you like about Fergie but his paranoia that the whole world was against him and his team lasted forever, Mourinho has probably earned too much money, far too soon :cool:
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    City will stroll to the title this season and I'd put money on them winning it 3 years running - best manager. best squad and team and most money to spend.
    Arsenal will do what Arsenal always do.
    If Liverpool can become consistent they will be top four.
    The other place will be between Spurs, Chelsea, Utd and maybe Everton an outside chance of top four.
    So, I see UTD finishing no worse than 7th.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah but maybe 6th or something but it is possible, I called it right away that Jose isn't right for United.
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah but maybe 6th or something but it is possible, I called it right away that Jose isn't right for United.

Yep... Its why they didn't go for him years ago... He's also not a man to knuckle down when things aren't going right
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nova21 wrote: »
    Yep... Its why they didn't go for him years ago... He's also not a man to knuckle down when things aren't going right

No they went for David Bleedin Moyes instead.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once Mkhitaryan gets truly fit and starts firing and if Pogba just starts firing, they should respond - with two caveats...

...that Jose doesn't alienate too many players and the one he does is called Wayne. United need a balanced, dynamic team.
  • Options
    ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pogba's a good player but I don't think he will ever be the kind of player people are expecting him to become. Man Utd spent Bale and Ronaldo money on a player that is nowhere near that quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pogba's a good player but I don't think he will ever be the kind of player people are expecting him to become. Man Utd spent Bale and Ronaldo money for a player that is nowhere near that quality.

A bit early for that kind of prediction yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit early for that kind of prediction yet.

Pogba's 23, at that age both Bale and Ronaldo were almost single-handedly winning games for their respective teams plus they were both incredible at scoring goals.

I just don't see Pogba ever reaching that level.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    Yeah the Europa League

Why would we not be bothered about being defeated in that competition?

Any defeat is a poor result for us, so I don't see that as a result that we can or should just write off.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Pogba's 23, at that age both Bale and Ronaldo were almost single-handedly winning games for their respective teams plus they were both incredible at scoring goals.

I just don't see Pogba ever reaching that level.
    Was he not main reason juventus won 3 serie A titles in 4 years ?? You don't become poor overnight Do.you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Was he not main reason juventus won 3 serie A titles in 4 years ?? You don't become poor overnight Do.you?

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was the main reason, he made a decent sized contribution.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's early days yet. I fully expect them to be no lower than 5th at the end of the season. Every team goes through a bad run during the season. It just so happens that Utd's is at the start.
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    It's early days yet. I fully expect them to be no lower than 5th at the end of the season. Every team goes through a bad run during the season. It just so happens that Utd's is at the start.

5th would be a very poor season.

Pogba is top class if he can find his mojo and is managed well.

I dont know about that Mikta... guy.... Mourniho is actually going to have to do some work on the coaching ground to get this team challenging at the very top where they expected him to take them.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall a "Is United's season over already?" thread the year they got 1 point from their first 3 matches. The year they went onto win the league.

It is early days yet and, while I think the team is too weak mentally to win the league, the sheer strength of the squad, coupled with the fact Jose is still a good manager, mean that I expect us to finish top four.