William Russell in An Adventure in Space & Time

Cameron KMcEwanCameron KMcEwan Posts: 1,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The latest issue of Radio Times has a pic of William Russell in his cameo in An Adventure in Space & Time. You can see it, along with some other new pics here:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/an-adventure-in-space-and-time-pics.html

There's a great article from Mark Gatiss too, and a set visit which reveals Peter Capaldi visited filming!

Comments

• chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Cameron. Those pics are amaaaaaaaaaaazing! Ian, Barbara and Menoptra ............ wow!

John Hurt in 3D? Pah! This is where it's at! :D
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's terrific - thanks for the link. Fantastic to see the Menoptra.
    And William Russell looks good - surely Ian HAS to be in the 50th or the Christmas episode. If only for a tiny cameo. That would be so brilliant.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    That's terrific - thanks for the link. Fantastic to see the Menoptra.
    And William Russell looks good - surely Ian HAS to be in the 50th or the Christmas episode. If only for a tiny cameo. That would be so brilliant.

I've been hoping for a surprise cameo from Russell in the 50th for months. I do hope Rose is not the only returning companion, otherwise it's going to feel like a missed opportunity to me. Even if we only get a cameo from other companions, it would be a nice touch.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree there should be a cameo from Ian. This should celebrate 50 years of Dr Who and what better wauy then the current Doctor passing Ian or Ian seeing the Tardis vanish at the end.

This is a once in a life time chance to do this. Having Tennant and Rose will be enough to satisfy the I want Tennant Babies club but I want more classic who in the 50th.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    That 60s style DVD cover is just so brilliant!
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »

That's the DVD cover?? Superb!!
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except that it looks nothing like William Hartnell and even less like David Bradley!
    Forum Member
    Except that it looks nothing like William Hartnell and even less like David Bradley!
    Exactly the way it should be for a 60s style cover!
    :D
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is *gorgeous* ! :)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Love the crinkled-paperback effect!
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member

I love the cover as well, just perfect. However I think it is a reversible cover with this:
    http://www.bbcshop.com/doctor-who/an-adventure-in-space-and-time-dvd/invt/bbcdvd3913&temp=enlarged&layout=empty
    Forum Member
    Dr2Pat wrote: »
    I love the cover as well, just perfect. However I think it is a reversible cover with this:
    http://www.bbcshop.com/doctor-who/an-adventure-in-space-and-time-dvd/invt/bbcdvd3913&temp=enlarged&layout=empty
    Indeed it is.
    I think I know which one most fans will be using!
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian and Babs appearing in the DWM comic strip is the closest we will be getting to an anniversary appearance, I would have thought.

In the background of the trailer, I see pictures of past companions on a wall. If they're not bringing back any past Doctors*, they won't bring back past companions. Just Billie and her teeth.

* other than the Mockney one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just the Mockney Doctor, Chuff, but another Doctor too, albeit one that we've never heard of before...

I know that we have various elements of the past in the 50th, (and I suspect that there will still be other stuff from the past that we don't yet know about), but it strikes me as slightly odd to celebrate 50 years by making an entirely new and hitherto unheard of Doctor one of the main plot points - especially when there are plenty of people and characters who could have been used.
    It's kind of like me celebrating my birthday with a total stranger - it might be great fun, but I'd still rather celebrate with my old, familiar friends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just the Mockney Doctor, Chuff, but another Doctor too, albeit one that we've never heard of before...

I know that we have various elements of the past in the 50th, (and I suspect that there will still be other stuff from the past that we don't yet know about), but it strikes me as slightly odd to celebrate 50 years by making an entirely new and hitherto unheard of Doctor one of the main plot points - especially when there are plenty of people and characters who could have been used.
    It's kind of like me celebrating my birthday with a total stranger - it might be great fun, but I'd still rather celebrate with my old, familiar friends.

I'd argue that a good way for a show which thrives on change to celebrate its existence would be to continue to look forward. You say it's slightly odd, I say it's bold - even if the basic idea and backdrop behind this unknown Doctor is very familiar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian and Babs appearing in the DWM comic strip is the closest we will be getting to an anniversary appearance, I would have thought.

In the background of the trailer, I see pictures of past companions on a wall. If they're not bringing back any past Doctors*, they won't bring back past companions. Just Billie and her teeth.

* other than the Mockney one

And her eyebrows! :eek:
  • Cameron KMcEwanCameron KMcEwan Posts: 1,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to watch it at the BFI tonight, simply amazing.

A gallery of new promo pics here: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/an-adventure-in-space-and-time-promo.html
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to watch it at the BFI tonight, simply amazing.

No spoilers! Where does it lie on the reverence spectrum?

(EDIT: because none of us want to know the ending, obviously. Is Doctor Who a hit? Watch and find out!)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd argue that a good way for a show which thrives on change to celebrate its existence would be to continue to look forward. You say it's slightly odd, I say it's bold - even if the basic idea and backdrop behind this unknown Doctor is very familiar.

Exactly. Reading some quite depressing comments from the 'old guard' recently who seem intent on being miserable and grouchy and well...everything wrong with a backward looking self absorbed fandom really. Moffat has tried to pitch this episode just right from what he has said and thank goodness he gets to be the one who writes it. A man who understands the true spirit of the show and doesn't just want 'dollybirds being chased down corridors'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or you could view it as getting to celebrate your birthday with a hot new girlfriend who understands your past and what got you to where you are but wants a decent future as opposed to a parade of bitter ex wives who are obsessed with focusing on times gone by, trying to replay former glories and sure as hell don't look as good in that dress as they used to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Reading some quite depressing comments from the 'old guard' recently who seem intent on being miserable and grouchy and well...everything wrong with a backward looking self absorbed fandom really. Moffat has tried to pitch this episode just right from what he has said and thank goodness he gets to be the one who writes it. A man who understands the true spirit of the show and doesn't just want 'dollybirds being chased down corridors'.

I couldn't disagree more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could view it as getting to celebrate your birthday with a hot new girlfriend who understands your past and what got you to where you are but wants a decent future as opposed to a parade of bitter ex wives who are obsessed with focusing on times gone by, trying to replay former glories and sure as hell don't look as good in that dress as they used to.

However much I try, I can't envisage a 70+ John Hurt as a hot new girlfriend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha. Well played. That is a bit of a stretch. I meant more the fact its something new and concept that isn't looking just backwards but forwards as well.

Now I'm trying to picture Hurt that way. Interesting.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jenna, on the other hand...
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like it's going to be a wonderful programme! I am totally dumbfounded at how much David Bradley looks like William Hartnell.

William Hartnell's Doctor is one of my favourites (along with Tom Baker, Christopher Eccleston, and Matt Smith) so I really can't wait to see this.