Options

Merlin Series 4 - General Discussion Thread

AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone else really excited that Merlin is back next month?! Definitely one my favourite shows so I can't wait.

I thought we'd try something different with Merlin this year and have a general discussion thread - for things regarding the cast, future series and general news and then separate threads for each episode much like over in the Doctor Who forum.

This way it should be easier to find news and discussion related to particular episodes, rather than having to go through large threads (the thread for last season had over 1,500 posts and over 60 pages).

What are your thoughts on the above idea? :D

[news]- 'Merlin' movie in the works?
- James Callis, Lindsay Duncan for 'Merlin' roles

Video Interviews:

- Colin Morgan
- Angel Coulby
- Katie McGrath[/news]

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Really excited for the it to return but the first promotional image we got is a bit awful with the photoshop job!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I've read all those 60 pages! :D

Merlin has become such a great show, it is my favorite drama, and I'm hugely excited about the new series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Based on BBC's press release site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2011/wk40/unplaced.shtml), Merlin will be starting Saturday, October 1 (after Doctor Who?).

And, unbelievably, it is still not in HD.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Tagg wrote: »
    Based on BBC's press release site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2011/wk40/unplaced.shtml), Merlin will be starting Saturday, October 1 (after Doctor Who?).

And, unbelievably, it is still not in HD.

I'm gutted that it wont be in HD, I would have thought they would have upgraded the cameras but I read somewhere that doing this would have meant the episodes would have been reduced to 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    I'm gutted that it wont be in HD, I would have thought they would have upgraded the cameras but I read somewhere that doing this would have meant the episodes would have been reduced to 10.

They are shooting the new series on 35mm film.
    This should be in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just because they changed the film type doesn't mean that they changed the post-production resolution. 16mm film is often mastered in high definition; that wasn't the issue. I assume that going to 1080p would mean a substantial increase in cost of CG.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the next Merlin!
    I tried watching that american 'Camelot' in the summer - I wasn't impresssed! It was OK but a bit limp!
    So pleased to read that there is already series 5 commissioned - and a possible film! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    S4 launch trailer!! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DtdgmYtndE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OMG! The trailer ends with... BBC One AND BBC One HD!!! Kill me now and I'm a happy man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :) Would be a total waste to air the show in SD when they have spent a lot of money on the 35mm film stock (wich is much more expensive than HD video).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The. Anticipation. Is. Killing. Me.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tagg wrote: »
    OMG! The trailer ends with... BBC One AND BBC One HD!!! Kill me now and I'm a happy man.

Doesn't mean it's actually airing in HD, they say BBC1 HD for all programs even those that are just upscaled
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to this series with more knights.:D
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should I be worried that, as a 41-year-old mother of one (he's three) and after 20 years as a journalist, that I squealed when I saw the new official trailer for series four?

I love this programme, I think it's one of the cleverest "reimaginations" of what is probably the most well known legend/mythology in the British Isles.
    I love their interpretation of the legend of Merlin but I am hoping we may start to see Arthur becoming a bit more aware of what's going on.
    Hopefully with both Lancelot and Gawaine now in the picture (both of whom know/suspect about Merlin's magic) that things will start to shake up a bit.

It was good to see Mordred in the trailer and it will be very interesting to see how they deal with him as the catalyst for Arthur's downfall (if they do indeed follow the "traditional" path).

Having said all of the above though, it's becoming clear that they're running out of main story legends relating to the Arthurian myths and while I would love Merlin to last forever, I think they do need to start bringing all the tangled webs together.

I am firmly expecting next year's series five to be the last (although it'll be very sad) and I hope they will pull off a spectacular finale which treats all the characters with the respect they deserve.
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Should I be worried that, as a 41-year-old mother of one (he's three) and after 20 years as a journalist, that I squealed when I saw the new official trailer for series four?

If it helps, this 22 year old unemployed graduate squealed as well :D
    I am firmly expecting next year's series five to be the last (although it'll be very sad) and I hope they will pull off a spectacular finale which treats all the characters with the respect they deserve.

I so hope you're wrong! I think that once Arthur becomes king (can't be that far away now), they will have trouble because they will have got rid of their main plot arc. However, most of the myths take place after Arthur is king and it's fantasy so anything can happen!
    If you're right, then I really really hope that Arthur finds out Merlin's secret. My heart breaks for Merlin every time Arthur scoffs at the idea of him saving his life. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Thanks for sharing!!!!! It's pretty cool...
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw the first ep at the premiere last week. Very good. Looks superb. Morgana is still my favourite character. Gwen still has more chemistry with Lancelot than Arthur. Arthur is still the worst judge of character known to mankind :D
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to Merlin, I kind of wish Doctor Who would hurry up and finish so because then Merlin will be back on my screen :o

I'm so glad that Lancelot is still around, not just for the eye-candy, but I love that someone who knows about Merlin's magic will be there for him. Lancelot and Merlin are totally BFFs :D
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Merlin have it's own sub forum then like Doctor Who?

Unless it does I can't see the suggestion in the OP working (although I may be biased as it was me who started last years thread)

If we have a sub forum then I can see this working - otherwise if it's a load of threads in the TV forum then I think it's daft - it will be too cluttered and you will have to scrape around to find the correct thread you're after.
  • Options
    Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came across a potential spoiler for Lancelot, which I really hope isn't true. This links to one of the producer interviews though!

(sorry, don't know how to hide spoilers on here).

I would love a sub-forum for Merlin. I think the show is big enough now to warrant one.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Trailer for Series 4 does look promising,:cool:....but I do hope it's not going to be treading water like last year,:(....And no more comedy double act with Merlin & Arthur....I've had enough of that.:yawn:
    Morgana My Favorite....;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    It was good to see Mordred in the trailer

Are you sure? I haven't seen him.

There's a new teaser on youtube: http://youtu.be/5e9QlLpQuCQ
  • Options
    UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Trailer for Series 4 does look promising,:cool:....but I do hope it's not going to be treading water like last year,:(....And no more comedy double act with Merlin & Arthur....I've had enough of that.:yawn:
    Morgana My Favorite....;)

I (and many others) think it adds to the charm of the series. To me, it makes their friendship seem endearing and even more believable, as well as providing a different slant to the show. I do love the dark side, but this is a family show and so I think a lighter side is definately needed, and people of all ages can appreciate it.

I'm really looking forward to this now. :p:D
  • Options
    Debs79hDebs79h Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to this starting back up again - I can hardly wait :)