LORDE turns down Collaboration with David Guetta

2»

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=maninthequeue;69638043]Lana's USA manager was Troy Carter, and his "masterminding" of her career breakthrough in America on Interscope went seamlessly well didn't it....... NOT! Let's face it everyone remembers her Saturday Night Live performances, a pity it was not for the right reasons. And the way he initially failed to control the backlash and fall out from it resulting in her being a figure of ridicule in the USA (as well as putting huge question marks in Stefani Germanotta head about his managerial ability, something she has apparently finally lost patience with in the past week), and it is little wonder the former Lizzie Grant dumped him for the two Brits at Polydor who'd done a great job in contrast orchestrating her hugely successful campaign in Europe.

The album Born To Die was the 5th best selling album worldwide of 2012; the 91st best seller in the USA of 2012; and the 3rd best seller in Europe of 2012 tells its own story.

Right now Lana Del Rey can be compared with Suzanne Vega after she allowed an album worth of remixes of her Tom's Diner track which became the biggest commercial success of her career, yet simultaneously killed her credibility; resulting in the core "hipster" folk fan base who bought her previous albums to disown her on her subsequent releases. Whilst that ghastly Summertime Sadness remix is just dumbed down with a sleazy disco/club beat while also speeding it up and totally destroying the mood of the song; so selling out to the masses; but a huge turn off to alienate the Quietus/Pitchfork/Radio 6 Music fanbase who made her a critical success in the first place.

The one big difference, is today the record buying public are more dumber and less discerning than they were in the 1980s/early 1990s thanks to a decade of Simon Cowell talent shows corrupting their musical sensibilities; and aren't bothered as to whether an act is control of their career; or is a manufactured pop bimbo who dials in their vocals.

As for Lorde; Ella Yelich-O'Connor played a showcase gig as a 13 year old at Neil Finn's owned Pajama Club in Auckland; which was a key component in her getting signed by Universal. With her mother being Sonja Yelich (a very famous poet in New Zealand) then you could argue much like Lily Allen having family connections helped her to get noticed. And it is on this point, and that point alone, that haters have some validity to bash her.

Personally I think Pure Heroine is as hugely impressive debut album, as her live performances to date suggests she is an artist who will be around for a long time, provided she wants to be and can continue to write interesting left field melodic pop songs..[/QUOTE]

:confused::confused:

Do you have any believable links for this? Reason I ask is you've already admitted to erroneously believing the rubbish written about Lana on Hipster Runoff (in fact, you are possibly the only person I have ever seen admitting to initially taking that site seriously). The only time I've ever seen anything about Troy Carter being her manager is your post on here in my Video Games thread (in which you later admitted you'd been duped by the afore-mentioned blogger site).

20-10-2011, 23:18 #55
    maninthequeue
    Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by konebyvax View Post
    Just done a bit more digging and her manager would appear to be somebody called Benedict Mawson?? Like I say, maninthequeue hasn't responded since his first post in here, perhaps he could give us some links to the stuff he posted?

I saw, your post and done some redigging I think I've been duped and taken something as a fact when re-reading the article again I think it was arch-sarcasm, as it was posted on the US Hipster Runoff website who seem to be treating her as the anti-christ at the moment. (What about the other 99.8% of commercial acts making inferior material).

Funnily enough you seemed to quite like her until the Gaga diss song leaked?

And judging by your prediction about Lana's career after the Gaga diss if I was Lorde I would be horrified to read you predicting longevity for her. :D

PS I never knew there was actually a Pajama Club in Auckland. Isn't that the name of Neil Finn's family band?
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    David Guetta's music is very boring, and many artists I love have collaborated with him and provided vocals for his awful, generic, dull songs. I wish they had done the same as Lorde did.

It's easier for Lorde, since David Guetta's type of music doesn't do well anymore, so if they did a song together it would probably flop anyway. Back in 2008/2009 I don't think many people would've turned down a guaranteed hit.

Lorde doesn't need a "Summertime Sadness" to get a hit. Her orginal songs can have mainstream success, and she's very lucky in that respect. I wish labels could have faith in other artists too and promote their original songs.

Also, dissing another artists will NOT end your career. Those who followed mainstream music pre-2008 will know this, since artists dissing each other used to happen on a daily basis back then, and nothing happened. The mainstream music world has been a lot "nicer" and quieter the past few years, but Lorde's comments about other artists aren't any worse than many in the past.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorde's music is really starting to grow on me. As a personality I think its becoming apparent she's a right little catty b*tch (meow) as she always seems to slag everyone off that is going. I did consider it could have been the media twisting things... but nah, it seems to happen a bit too frequently for that to be the case! But at least she's got some spunk and I'm appreciating that.

I love how all these threads about Lorde seem to end up talking about Lana too. Well who else? You know you only wanna b*tch about Lana cause she's far, far, far more fun to talk about than anybody else. The mark of a superstar.
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is crap so what's the problem?
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impeccable judgement on Lorde's behalf.
    The Force is strong with this one.
    Working with Brian Eno would be more interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Why are all new popstars these days so bitchy? Would it kill them to be nice about another artist (or to at least be diplomatic)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how all these threads about Lorde seem to end up talking about Lana too. Well who else? You know you only wanna b*tch about Lana cause she's far, far, far more fun to talk about than anybody else. The mark of a superstar.
    Lana Del Who? All the cool kids are listening to Lorde now. She's so artistic, like nearly as much as Lady Gaga.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    The only good things he's done are titanium and she wolf
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    Lana Del Who? All the cool kids are listening to Lorde now. She's so artistic, like nearly as much as Lady Gaga.

I doubt all the "cool" kids are listening to her, some wouldn't even think about hearing any of her tunes. :sleep:
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorde's album is absoloutely fantastic. David Guetta on the other hand is complete and utter trash! Let's hope she stays alternative and doesn't start making god awful club tunes like Ellie Goulding has.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newtonsaid wrote: »
    Personally I think Lorde will 100% be around in five years, she's ridiculously talented. She didn't need to work with Guetta to get to no.1, she did it on her own. It's one thing for dj's to remix songs like they needed to do with Lana Del Rey, but Lorde's writing is too strong, and too catchy.

I don't like the Summertime Remix and after SNL Lana was dead to the US industry but if it been worked with SNL, Lana needn't also the Remix, the Radio would have played the original song like they did in Europe. But what I like on the Remix is that the EDM folk isn't prejudice.

Lorde loves some remixes of her music too, like the Weekend Remix, she was yesterday at the Timberlake concert together with the Weekend guys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I doubt all the "cool" kids are listening to her, some wouldn't even think about hearing any of her tunes. :sleep:
    Are you telling me she's not 'alternative' enough for the cool kids? Surely not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newtonsaid wrote: »
    The only good things he's done are titanium and she wolf

His "one love" album is actually pretty decent for a dance record.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly kids.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    GOOD FOR HER!
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    David Guetta's music is very boring, and many artists I love have collaborated with him and provided vocals for his awful, generic, dull songs. I wish they had done the same as Lorde did.

Also, dissing another artists will NOT end your career. Those who followed mainstream music pre-2008 will know this, since artists dissing each other used to happen on a daily basis back then, and nothing happened. The mainstream music world has been a lot "nicer" and quieter the past few years, but Lorde's comments about other artists aren't any worse than many in the past.

Agreed! Whilst I'll never profess to being a fan (apart from the 'Definitely Maybe' album and 'Whatever,') the bros. Gallagher (mainly Liam) used to 'diss' loads of other acts/singers and it didn't seem to do anything to harm their chart success.

I'm with you, Eric. A few of my favourite singers have done collaborations on Guetta's dull tracks, and I wish they'd have run a mile instead of doing them. For me Kelly Rowland doing vocals on 'Love Takes Over' was a disappointing moment. Kelly's made some excellent solo material but you're guaranteed that Love Takes Over will be one she's remembered for. :(

Seeing as he has had all this success, perhaps David Guetta should be using his influence to get the record companies to release some of his more experimental stuff as a single. To me his middle name ought to be 'generic.'
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Guetta is very boring same old same old, plus her music wouldn't go at all, got her head screwed on.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Do you have any believable links for this? Reason I ask is you've already admitted to erroneously believing the rubbish written about Lana on Hipster Runoff (in fact, you are possibly the only person I have ever seen admitting to initially taking that site seriously). The only time I've ever seen anything about Troy Carter being her manager is your post on here in my Video Games thread (in which you later admitted you'd been duped by the afore-mentioned blogger site).

20-10-2011, 23:18 #55
    maninthequeue
    Forum Member

Funnily enough you seemed to quite like her until the Gaga diss song leaked?

And judging by your prediction about Lana's career after the Gaga diss if I was Lorde I would be horrified to read you predicting longevity for her. :D

PS I never knew there was actually a Pajama Club in Auckland. Isn't that the name of Neil Finn's family band?

As a 40 something who prefers posting on higher brow music and news sites than DS, I really should avoid biting to troll baiting posts as yours, but to be fair to you I should have explained myself properly.

Lana Del Rey like most new Interscope signings are automatically assigned to Atom Factory management for North American promotional activities. (Just like the default management company of new Syco acts is Modest! management). This was the case with Lana Del Rey.

Atom Factory is part of Coalition Media Group. Coalition Media Group was founded by former Overbrook Entertainment and Bad Boy Records American music manager Troy Carter.

So being pedantic, you are probably correct in saying that Troy Carter may not have directly been hands on in being responsible for the US management of Lana Del Rey. But the management company set up by Troy Carter was. In other words we were both correct.

As for Lana Del Rey's career, I think she is potentially in the same situation as a lot of critically acclaimed acts who "sell out" to go mainstream, as she has done via that dreadful remix hit single. I.E. She has burnt a bridge that could long term affect her career.

The hipsters/cult support who made her famous are alienated by that release. Certainly Radio 6 Music did not touch it with a bargepole; and the reaction on Quietus and Pitchfork was on a par with if Thom Yorke turned up to mentor acts on Simon Cowell's X-Factor.

On the other hand that demo recording being uncomplimentary about Lady Gaga will certainly stop a large number of her fans buying future releases on principle. But as Lady Gaga's popularity is clearly in decline (PS. I think the album Artpop is easily worse than Fame Monster & Born This Way; and whilst it lacks as many fillers as her debut The Fame, it certainly lack 3 towering Himalayas pop peaks as good as Just Dance, Poker Face & Paparazzi), and more importantly she is clearly the most hated popstar on the internet by an absolute landslide, then that might turn out to be a good thing, but its all very Azealia Banks (and look what's happened to her career in the past year).

The Pajama Club is the name of the music hall built on Neil Finn's Auckland home estate, which he allows the local community to use. It was also the name of the adhoc band who released the self titled 2012 album featuring him and his wife and two other well known local musicians. Incidentally Neil's next album Dizzy Heights comes out in February 2014, and I certainly enjoy his occasional webcasts. As a big Neil Finn/Crowded House/Split Enz fan I know he still likes to record at the local Roundhead Studios, Auckland rather than set up his own studio because he likes the idea of going off to work, rather than work at home.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    As a 40 something who prefers posting on higher brow music and news sites than DS, I really should avoid biting to troll baiting posts as yours, but to be fair to you I should have explained myself properly.

Lana Del Rey like most new Interscope signings are automatically assigned to Atom Factory management for North American promotional activities. (Just like the default management company of new Syco acts is Modest! management). This was the case with Lana Del Rey.

Atom Factory is part of Coalition Media Group. Coalition Media Group was founded by former Overbrook Entertainment and Bad Boy Records American music manager Troy Carter.

So being pedantic, you are probably correct in saying that Troy Carter may not have directly been hands on in being responsible for the US management of Lana Del Rey. But the management company set up by Troy Carter was. In other words we were both correct.

As for Lana Del Rey's career, I think she is potentially in the same situation as a lot of critically acclaimed acts who "sell out" to go mainstream, as she has done via that dreadful remix hit single. I.E. She has burnt a bridge that could long term affect her career.

The hipsters/cult support who made her famous are alienated by that release. Certainly Radio 6 Music did not touch it with a bargepole; and the reaction on Quietus and Pitchfork was on a par with if Thom Yorke turned up to mentor acts on Simon Cowell's X-Factor.

On the other hand that demo recording being uncomplimentary about Lady Gaga will certainly stop a large number of her fans buying future releases on principle. But as Lady Gaga's popularity is clearly in decline (PS. I think the album Artpop is easily worse than Fame Monster & Born This Way; and whilst it lacks as many fillers as her debut The Fame, it certainly lack 3 towering Himalayas pop peaks as good as Just Dance, Poker Face & Paparazzi), and more importantly she is clearly the most hated popstar on the internet by an absolute landslide, then that might turn out to be a good thing, but its all very Azealia Banks (and look what's happened to her career in the past year).

The Pajama Club is the name of the music hall built on Neil Finn's Auckland home estate, which he allows the local community to use. It was also the name of the adhoc band who released the self titled 2012 album featuring him and his wife and two other well known local musicians. Incidentally Neil's next album Dizzy Heights comes out in February 2014, and I certainly enjoy his occasional webcasts. As a big Neil Finn/Crowded House/Split Enz fan I know he still likes to record at the local Roundhead Studios, Auckland rather than set up his own studio because he likes the idea of going off to work, rather than work at home.

I asked for links though :D. But kudos to you for admitting (twice) that you've been wrong about Carter being Lana's manager. Carry on...

PS A frequenter of high brow music and news sites and you read Hipster Runoff? Too funny :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    PS A frequenter of high brow music and news sites and you read Hipster Runoff? Too funny :D
    Indeed, and still posting inaccuracies as LDR is not critically acclaimed and has always been mainstream :D.

Dude talks a good game but is full of it imo.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't maninthequeue the member who said Lana's career would be damaged by the Gaga diss track or was that someone else?

tbh its hard to keep up as so many on here sound exactly the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't maninthequeue the member who said Lana's career would be damaged by the Gaga diss track or was that someone else?

tbh its hard to keep up as so many on here sound exactly the same.

Lol, I think I have seen this member posting on haven, criticizing Lana on her wealthy background but supporting an independent band till another poster pointed out they were rich before they started the band because of a lotto win. :rolleyes:

Some people :p
  • Miss GeorgieMiss Georgie Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    There's a clown singing Lordie songs on youtube what sounds good
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder modern pop can be so bland when so many people get their knickers in a twist when singers give real opinions rather than just PR guff. So she doesn't like David Guetta. Is she obliged to?