Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 10)

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Even a draw next week keeps us above Newcastle (and Chelsea) whatever they do, then we just have to match or better Spurs to stay above them as well

We could finish 3rd without winning any of our last 5 games - talk about crossing the finishing line held together by bits of old string and sellotape!

That is actually quite amazing. Spurs have a tough game at Fulham - they need to win and we need only 1 point,
    What a crazy season its been. We've been crap but everyone else has been worse (bar City and United of course).
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spurs fan here. Not wumming, just pointing out that we're playing at home not at Fulham, and a point won't be enough for you if we beat Fulham as we'd have 69 points and you 68.

Gonna be a tense last day!! :-?
  • EurobinEurobin Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    That is actually quite amazing. Spurs have a tough game at Fulham - they need to win and we need only 1 point,
    What a crazy season its been. We've been crap but everyone else has been worse (bar City and United of course).

Think we need to win:
    3 Arsenal 37 24 67
    4 Tottenham 37 23 66

they can get to 69 pts
    only 1 pt has us only on 68

WBA is now a must win
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Sorry mate, but im past caring. Even if favours come our way today we'll lose to WBA next week. Nothing will change until the revenue streams start to dry up.

I want to finish third - as it's a decent position and great to finish above Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Stoke nowhere near.

But increasingly each year I find it more of an irritiation & a let down than a relief that it comes with a Champions League place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Spurs fan here. Not wumming, just pointing out that we're playing at home not at Fulham, and a point won't be enough for you if we beat Fulham as we'd have 69 points and you 68.

Gonna be a tense last day!! :-?

I'll tell you now what will happen:

We'll draw, Spurs will win, We'll finish fourth, Chelsea will lose to Bayern for sure. We'll get in C.L again. Board will give Arsene big pat on back.

Next season, the Professor will say "4th place is his first trophy" - we'll then do reasonably well in all 4 competitions, until we face someone decent, go out of all of them within a week in late February and finish 4th despite looking certainties for 3rd, 5th and 6th at different points of March.
    Forum Member
    Eurobin wrote: »
    Think we need to win:
    3 Arsenal 37 24 67
    4 Tottenham 37 23 66

they can get to 69 pts
    only 1 pt has us only on 68

WBA is now a must win

Doh! :o Yeah, you're right - its a must win if Spurs win of course, but for example if they draw we could even lose (I think) as we scored more goals. If Spurs draw, we only need a point. But its really a must win, Just like yesterday, and the game before, and the game before that :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^In that scenario, you could only afford to lose 1-0 as our GD is 23 and yours 24.
    Forum Member
    You're right.
    I didnt realise you were playing at home BTW :)
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsene gets lucky again as we get more favours. Sadly 3rd next week will be greeted by dear leader giving himself another 2 years of treading water when he should be shown the door. We are a very poor side in a very poor league. The only positive would be finishing above spurs and that's by no means a given.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    You're right.
    I didnt realise you were playing at home BTW :)

I'm glad we are!
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really can't believe it. This season has been absolutely mental. Does nobody want 3rd? Surely this time we'll take the chance gifted to us?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a look on Pravda and seen they've added a selection of tweets from "fans" from yesterdays game. Whilst I know Pravda won't print anything controversial some of the attached have to be seen to be believed. :eek:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-gervinho-came-to-life-in-the-second-half-
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Just had a look on Pravda and seen they've added a selection of tweets from "fans" from yesterdays game. Whilst I know Pravda won't print anything controversial some of the attached have to be seen to be believed. :eek:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-gervinho-came-to-life-in-the-second-half-

Thats right up there with the guy Cantona attacked claiming all he said was "Get off Eric, its an early bath for you!"
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GROUNDHOG SEASON

So we get 3rd next week and we make the CL yet again and we sail through the group stage and then get knocked out by the first decent team we face.
    And next season becomes exactly the same as this season and last season and so many other seasons.
    We exist only to get into something we wiil never win, and we get a lot of money for doing it that we will never spend on buying better players that might mean we could win it.

If it wasn't Spuds we were up against I would honestly not want us to make CL- it's the only thing that can break this cycle of mediocrity we are in.
    People may then start to see that Wenger is a relic who has forgotten how to manage at the very top level and needs to leave before we can ever move forward again.
    Almost a decade since we last won something.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    GROUNDHOG SEASON

So we get 3rd next week and we make the CL yet again and we sail through the group stage and then get knocked out by the first decent team we face.
    And next season becomes exactly the same as this season and last season and so many other seasons.
    We exist only to get into something we wiil never win, and we get a lot of money for doing it that we will never spend on buying better players that might mean we could win it.

If it wasn't Spuds we were up against I would honestly not want us to make CL- it's the only thing that can break this cycle of mediocrity we are in.
    People may then start to see that Wenger is a relic who has forgotten how to manage at the very top level and needs to leave before we can ever move forward again.
    Almost a decade since we last won something.....

Wow, I was about to post virtually the same thing!!! The fact it's spurs we're up against is the only reason I want us to win and to finish above them. As you say 3rd will be greeted by AKB's and the man himself as evidence his "plan" is working. It will also mean at least another 2 years of the same until his contract runs out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how we can move forward without finishing in the CL spots? The truly top class players won't want to join a club not in the competition and we only have to look at Liverpool to see the long-term damage falling out of those spots can lead to. Not to mention that no CL gives RVP such an easy way out. If we get 3rd, we just need to be grateful that it seems nobody else in the league wanted to finish there and use it as a springboard to finally, finally learn from mistakes and do this summer properly. Miss out on the CL and we have to spend a year or two just trying to get back into it rather than being able to focus on making another step up to a title-winning team.
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like Walcott. He was a better player three years ago than he is now.

how true .walnut is not a great player,he struggles to be good even! so many players who have no footballing brains along with wenger, who has lost his to some hollow meaningless strategy that means we wont win anything with him! i wont gloat at the saucepans untill it's all over.knowing the team we have anything will happen but a 4+ 0 win next week because we aint got the balls for it.how many more years of this :( not been an outstanding season for anyone this year that's why it could have been our title :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    I don't see how we can move forward without finishing in the CL spots? The truly top class players won't want to join a club not in the competition and we only have to look at Liverpool to see the long-term damage falling out of those spots can lead to. Not to mention that no CL gives RVP such an easy way out. If we get 3rd, we just need to be grateful that it seems nobody else in the league wanted to finish there and use it as a springboard to finally, finally learn from mistakes and do this summer properly. Miss out on the CL and we have to spend a year or two just trying to get back into it rather than being able to focus on making another step up to a title-winning team.

We're nowhere near winning the title and Podolski is the 1st bloody good player we've signed in ages. Liverpool spent a shed load of money really really badly, we spend the minimum amount possible which won't change if we are or aren't in the CL. There will be no need for anyone to learn from mistakes if we win next week as it will be seen as some as his finest hour(you wouldn't believe how often I've seen that on the forums). It will only lead to more of the same I'm afraid until someone somewhere says enough. I doubt that person exists.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how we can move forward without finishing in the CL spots? The truly top class players won't want to join a club not in the competition and we only have to look at Liverpool to see the long-term damage falling out of those spots can lead to.

But the truth is you only need to look at us to see how it is possible to stagnate by staying IN the CL spots. Sometimes you have to move backwards before you can move forwards and a shock like that might just be the kick up the ass the club needs. Without doubt, as others have already said, Arsene and the club will claim a third placed finish this year as 'progress' whist the rest of us will be puking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're nowhere near winning the title and Podolski is the 1st bloody good player we've signed in ages. Liverpool spent a shed load of money really really badly, we spend the minimum amount possible which won't change if we are or aren't in the CL. There will be no need for anyone to learn from mistakes if we win next week as it will be seen as some as his finest hour(you wouldn't believe how often I've seen that on the forums). It will only lead to more of the same I'm afraid until someone somewhere says enough. I doubt that person exists.

Yeah, I've read the bullshit about finishing 3rd despite the start of the season being his greatest achievement. Hard to believe people actually believe that considering how much responsibility he has to take for the summer/start. Maybe if we had stormed away into 3rd and carried on the form til the end of the season it could be classed as an achievement - though nowhere near his best - but the fact we're stumbling over the line because other teams are slightly worse than us renders an eventual top three finish more luck than judgment.

As for being outside the CL being a kick up the arse, I don't see it. If we don't spend money when we have significant income, I can't see how anyone would expect the club to spend more with less coming in, and certainly not being players of the calibre necessary to challenge. Not that we're likely to challenge for the CL win anyway, but players like M'Vila and Vertonghen have their choice of clubs - why would they pick one where they're not going to play in Europe's top competition? I don't like that this is the way football has gone, but it is.

I still like to think this season has been enough of a wake-up call in itself. It may just be because I can't understand how anyone at the club can be deluded enough to think the way they've operated is acceptable. I understand the concerns about more of the same, but if we don't finish 3rd then the rebuilding will be aimed solely at finishing in the CL spots again rather than looking higher. I will say, though, that between finishing 4th and 5th, I'd rather finish 5th. At least then we know where we stand rather than having to wait until the qualifier and then do all our business late again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've read the bullshit about finishing 3rd despite the start of the season being his greatest achievement. Hard to believe people actually believe that considering how much responsibility he has to take for the summer/start. Maybe if we had stormed away into 3rd and carried on the form til the end of the season it could be classed as an achievement - though nowhere near his best - but the fact we're stumbling over the line because other teams are slightly worse than us renders an eventual top three finish more luck than judgment.

As for being outside the CL being a kick up the arse, I don't see it. If we don't spend money when we have significant income, I can't see how anyone would expect the club to spend more with less coming in, and certainly not being players of the calibre necessary to challenge. Not that we're likely to challenge for the CL win anyway, but players like M'Vila and Vertonghen have their choice of clubs - why would they pick one where they're not going to play in Europe's top competition? I don't like that this is the way football has gone, but it is.

I still like to think this season has been enough of a wake-up call in itself. It may just be because I can't understand how anyone at the club can be deluded enough to think the way they've operated is acceptable. I understand the concerns about more of the same, but if we don't finish 3rd then the rebuilding will be aimed solely at finishing in the CL spots again rather than looking higher. I will say, though, that between finishing 4th and 5th, I'd rather finish 5th. At least then we know where we stand rather than having to wait until the qualifier and then do all our business late again.

Good post, you can see both sides of the coin far more so than I. I do hope you're right I really do.
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    But the truth is you only need to look at us to see how it is possible to stagnate by staying IN the CL spots. Sometimes you have to move backwards before you can move forwards and a shock like that might just be the kick up the ass the club needs. Without doubt, as others have already said, Arsene and the club will claim a third placed finish this year as 'progress' whist the rest of us will be puking.

Sometimes you do although I think there is a far greater risk we will fall away even more than we already have if we don't finish in the CL spots this season.
    Forum Member
    In the context of how we started, if anyone offered me 3rd at the start of the season I would have snapped their hands off, but actually 3rd is poor. We lost 10 times, had numerous silly draws and yet we're 3rd?!?!! Something is wrong somewhere. The Club must see this as a wake up call I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really can't believe it. This season has been absolutely mental. Does nobody want 3rd? Surely this time we'll take the chance gifted to us?

We don't. We didn't last year either.

Why exert any unneccessary effort finishing 2nd or 3rd when you can finish 4th. That is a trophy after all.
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3rd isn't poor at all, in other seasons 3rd would be a pretty good season. However its the reason we're 3rd that's depressing, we're not there because of how good we've been but because of how bad others have been.
This discussion has been closed.