PS4 Firmware 1.51 inbound

Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
Forum Member
Contains various fixes, and improved download and trophy notifications.

Thanks for Beta testing the PS4, USA :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic news, hope that this fixes the majority if not all of the problems that PS4 is currently experiencing.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it does have its plus points not being the first country to get the PS4. Although I'm still amazed as to why it isn't released in its native Japan until February.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Japan have been naughty there only allowed furby's this year :D
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    Although I'm still amazed as to why it isn't released in its native Japan until February.

Firstly, the Japanese console market is basically on its arse. It's all about handhelds there, hence they get the Vita TV. There are other, bigger, console markets to capture.

Secondly, PS4 is almost guaranteed to outsell Xbox in Japan by a huge margin, so what's the rush.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    So will we in the UK get the 1.51 or 1.50? or is it one after another? I am getting mine on launch day, noob question sorry... :o
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    is the firmware from the US Playstation website ok for the UK Console?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    han1988 wrote: »
    So will we in the UK get the 1.51 or 1.50? or is it one after another? I am getting mine on launch day, noob question sorry... :o

We'll get whatever is the latest version.

Could even be 1.52, or further by the line it launches here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, the Japanese console market is basically on its arse. It's all about handhelds there, hence they get the Vita TV. There are other, bigger, console markets to capture.

Secondly, PS4 is almost guaranteed to outsell Xbox in Japan by a huge margin, so what's the rush.

Toally agree, MS have spent a small fortune trying to get the Xbox into Japan as a viable alternative to PS only to fail time after time.

MS even bought a local studio to make games just for the Xbox only for that to fail as well.

The Vita tv is a great idea and think that it will be a big seller everywhere.

Sony were more concerned with getting the PS4 out in the USA first which has always been their weaker market compared to Europe.

Cant wait for my PS4 to arrive next week! got a 1tb HDD ready to put in the moment it arrives then game on!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant wait for my PS4 to arrive next week! got a 1tb HDD ready to put in the moment it arrives then game on!

Yeah, mine was delivered yesterday too :D
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought Microsoft weren't going to bother with the Xbox One in Japan at all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ulysses777 wrote: »
    I thought Microsoft weren't going to bother with the Xbox One in Japan at all?

It is scheduled for a 2014 release.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    is the firmware from the US Playstation website ok for the UK Console?

i dont think so. but i believe the update will be available for us to download before launch. If not good luck downloading updates
    Forum Member
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    i dont think so. but i believe the update will be available for us to download before launch. If not good luck downloading updates

Only reason i ask, is because I'm swapping my HDD out as soon as i receive my console, so i have to download the firmware on my computer first.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    The US download link is fine. It'll work for UK consoles.

Mikey, I will be doing the same (got a 1tb hybrid SSHD drive arriving tomorrow). Best advise would be to use a flat USB stick - as some won't fit in the PS4's USB ports.
  • ghjones1ghjones1 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this is a silly question, but will I need to download and apply the 1.50 update and then the 1.51 update?

Or does the 1.51 update contain all the updates from 1.50 and therefore I'll only need to download 1.51?

I only ask as I've downloaded 1.51 just in case the servers crash or are slow tomorrow and don't want to balls things up if I need 1.50 also....
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ghjones1 wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a silly question, but will I need to download and apply the 1.50 update and then the 1.51 update?

No, as with the PS3 updates, you only need the latest update, which is 1.51. However, do make sure you get the right version as there are two versions available depending on what you are doing with your console.

1. The FULL firmware package for initialising the system e.g. after changing the hard drive, around 900MB, WARNING, this deletes everything as it formats the system!

2. The update to the firmware, which just updates the existing system without deleting any data or affecting your settings, around 300MB
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    No, as with the PS3 updates, you only need the latest update, which is 1.51. However, do make sure you get the right version as there are two versions available depending on what you are doing with your console.

1. The FULL firmware package for initialising the system e.g. after changing the hard drive, around 900MB, WARNING, this deletes everything as it formats the system!

2. The update to the firmware, which just updates the existing system without deleting any data or affecting your settings, around 300MB

Where is the bigger version then? I can only find the 300mb file.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellllllllled.
    Forum Member
    Dan27 wrote: »
    The US download link is fine. It'll work for UK consoles.

Says on the Sony site to download the UK version of the update, which is available to download now. (i posted a link in the PS4 excitement thread lol)

EDIT:

Link:
    http://uk.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item663044/
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Where is the bigger version then? I can only find the 300mb file.

The link to the larger update is on this site:

http://uk.playstation.com/ps4initialise/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downloading 1.51 direct to PS4 now. Says it will be done in 4 minutes. I thought it would be a pig tonight. Pleasantly surprised.

Edit - downloaded in the time it took to write this post. :) Not bad for launch night.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Quick question, I've downloaded the 1.51 patch to a usb, will the PS4 automatically try to download the patch from the Net? I read the sony instructions and it talks about re-booting the machine and then choosing the USB method.
  • MattDavisMattDavis Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Quick question, I've downloaded the 1.51 patch to a usb, will the PS4 automatically try to download the patch from the Net? I read the sony instructions and it talks about re-booting the machine and then choosing the USB method.

Did you ever find an answer to this? I don't fancy having to wait ages for the update but on the other hand I don't want to mess around re-booting in safe mode.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    USB update is covered on this web page.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/