A lot of my post going missing. What can I do?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
Forum Member
Over the last 6 months or so if not longer I have had numerous amounts of post going missing. Never anything of value but important post such as bills, letters from DWP, etc. With regards to bills I only realise that post has gone mssing when by some stroke of luck I've actually received a final demand or a letter threatening me with court action. I didn't receive my council tax bill or water bill and had to request copies which I did receive.

At the moment I rarely receive post and its starting to worry me now.

Its a complete mystery why its happening and I'm not sure what to do. I've complained to Royal mail but just received a standard reply which was no help whatsoever. I can't redirect my post as you can only do this if your moving!

Any advice?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speak to Royal Mail again, take it higher than the person you get through to, they will investigate.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    miss loo wrote: »
    Over the last 6 months or so if not longer I have had numerous amounts of post going missing. Never anything of value but important post such as bills, letters from DWP, etc. With regards to bills I only realise that post has gone mssing when by some stroke of luck I've actually received a final demand or a letter threatening me with court action. I didn't receive my council tax bill or water bill and had to request copies which I did receive.

Its a complete mystery why its happening and I'm not sure what to do. I've complained to Royal mail but just received a standard reply which was no help whatsoever. I can't redirect my post as you can only do this if your moving!

Any advice?

What would you consider of value!? It seems to me that the post going missing is of considerable value, to you!

I'd get in touch with your local post office. They should be able to give you the number of the nearest sorting office to you. I had to make a complaint some years ago about a few posts that were being misdirected. It's your right to have your post delivered to the place it should be, don't worry about making a complaint.
  • matrixladmatrixlad Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any advice?

Not true you can redirect you mail with out moving (ive done it twice)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Oh, ok, I thought the title meant your DS posts were missing. I got quite concerned and was going to check my posts LOL (although I haven’t really posted anything important lately). Anyway, that’s a relief…don’t mind me… carry on… :D

P.S. Sorry about your post going missing. Have you got a dog?
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:( If you're coming up against a brick wall with Royal Mail.Your next move is to get onto Consumer Direct(used to be called Postwatch).Tel 08454 04 05 06.Alternatively,you can get them on www.consumerdirect.gov.uk .Just follow the link 'energy and post' in the top right hand corner.They will offer you advice and advise the best course of action.
    Sometimes temp(holiday cover) postmen just get thrown in at the deep end,and they don't really know their walk.
    But with the length of time it's being going on,it's obviously not that.Have you spoken to the postman yet?.do you get the same guy all the time?.Might be worth mentioning it to him.
    Good luck.
  • matrixladmatrixlad Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the postman could be nicking your post...
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you the only person who has access to your post or postbox?
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't there quite a few cases a while back with temporary posties just dumping post instead of delivering it?

Jesus, if you do a google on 'postman dumping mail' there's loads of the buggers and that's just the ones that have been caught out. :mad:
  • Mrs DoodlesMrs Doodles Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nikola wrote: »
    I thought the title meant your DS posts were missing.

Me too :(
  • StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I've complained to Royal mail but just received a standard reply which was no help whatsoever.

Continue following the (full) procedure!

Regards
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own and run a fairly small mailing house, doing mailing for local authority, large companies, and financial houses. We send out huge amounts of mail every week which involves getting equipment delivered by Royal Mail to send them out. We get bags (old fashioned filthy mail sacks) and trays, depending on what type of mailing we're sending out.

You would be astonished what we find in the bottom of sacks and trays. We've had HMRC & DWP mail in the bottom of the bags. In trays you find the hand-written things like birthday cards and photos.

I can kind of understand items being left in the bottom of the bags, as they are huge, and it would be easy to not see a single letter. But it means that the sorting office aren't following procedure as they are supposed to turn the bags inside out and fold them as they are emptied. There is NO excuse for not seeing a letter in the bottom of a tray as they are completely visible.

Find the phone number for your local Royal Mail Distribution Center, and ask to speak to the Customer Care Manager. Insist that you speak to them, not one of the underlings who are only postmen answering the phone most of the time. Tell them that you are getting threats of court action simply because you are not receiving mail. Insist that an investigation of your complaint is made, and that you will not be fobbed off.

There ARE dodgy postmen, there's no doubt about it. The majority are brilliant men and women, but there are bad apples just as there are everywhere. Unfortunately, the Royal Mail way of dealing with a postman they have suspicions about, is to covertly watch them, and give them enough rope to hang themselves. This can take months.

It's not a case of being entitled to having your mail delivered, it is a legal obligation that Royal Mail must deliver anything bearing your address, even if he knows you are Mrs Smith, not Mrs Jones as the letter says.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I will have a word with my postie guy (its always the same one BTW) and then get in touch with the sorting office. Will also pursue my complaint. The only post coming through the letterbox is mine (not shared) and no I don't have a dog! (I don't post on DS much so haven't fathomed out this multiple quoting business!)

(Also with regards to redirecting my post, I went through the application process online but when I got to the end it said that the Royal mail are legally obligated to inform DWP and HMRC of my change of address so obviously I cancelled the process as this is not the case.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have just jailed a postie in our area for dumping post. he said he couldnt be bothered to deliver it. Lazy git.