Free Glasses

2»

Comments

• Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why so many people think they are not entitled to free glasses/eye tests.

If you earn less than 50k (ish) and have a school age child then you are eligible to claim tax credits.

I do so, I actually get very little in the way of tax credit but what I do get is a NHS exemption card, this entitles me to free prescriptions, eye tests etc.

I get few perks in life, so that one makes me quite happy. Then again I am very easily pleased.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you don't. I've to pay for all my prescriptions cos my wife works part-time now so we're just over the cut-off point for a HC2.

Dear Chris - Please see my above post, you appear to be caught up in a web of drivel.
  • BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. No-one gets their glasses the same day as their eye-test.

Well here in NY, I go into Pearle Vision Express, get my eye exam in one part of the store, then go to the glasses section, pick out frames, and get my glasses made in an hour. That goes whether I am buying one pair or two.

I go shopping next door while my glasses are being made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well here in NY, I go into Pearle Vision Express, get my eye exam in one part of the store, then go to the glasses section, pick out frames, and get my glasses made in an hour. That goes whether I am buying one pair or two.

Vision express in the UK does 1 hour prescriptions but only on basic glasses/prescriptions. They can't do things like rimless. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Well you took me in - so you're not a complete failure.:o:D

Thanks Ignazio. :D

It was partly true. I did have a free eye test but I lied about the rest :eek:
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »
    If you go to Vision Express they can make up a prescription in an hour, so it is possible.

Only if it is for single vision nowadays. Otherwise its up to a fortnight. As I said to the sales-girl "So how come it still says express on your window?"
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    My gran got varifocial from ASDA for £70, but she's a rich OAP so she didn't get a voucher to get money off

When I worked for Tax Credits you had to have a household income under £15,000 or so to get the exemption certificate and that was judged on last tax years income.
  • BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Only if it is for single vision nowadays. Otherwise its up to a fortnight. As I said to the sales-girl "So how come it still says express on your window?"

I have bifocals and a strong prescription, still only one hour. I love express, LOL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My gran got varifocial from ASDA for £70, but she's a rich OAP so she didn't get a voucher to get money off

When I worked for Tax Credits you had to have a household income under £15,000 or so to get the exemption certificate and that was judged on last tax years income.

Ummm I'm self employed so I have no comment :)
    Forum Member
    Ummm I'm self employed so I have no comment :)

Well if your self-employed you can declare your income whatever you like give an income estimate of whatever you like and the system will generate your exemption certificate automatically but woops you got your estimate a little wrong but never mind your certificate stays valid for a year anyway. You can keep using it.

Its useful things to have, gets you discounts for yourself and your kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if your self-employed you can declare your income whatever you like give an income estimate of whatever you like and the system will generate your exemption certificate automatically but woops you got your estimate a little wrong but never mind your certificate stays valid for a year anyway. You can keep using it.

Its useful things to have, gets you discounts for yourself and your kids.

I always declare the exact amount that my accountant comes up with.......

In my defence I have a lot of work related expenses :)
    Forum Member
    I always declare the exact anount that my accountant comes up with.......

In my defence I have a lot of work related expenses :)

Of course.

I remember someone someone asked me why they didn't get an exemption certificate this year and I told them their income from last year was too high. They asked what the income boundary was and I told them, so they said that they would be earning less this year, strangly it was just under the £15,000. We have to take their word for it, until their official account as done at the end of the tax year.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But are they free?
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear Chris - Please see my above post, you appear to be caught up in a web of drivel.

Hi. Just done an online sample form and think we may be eligible for both Child and Working Tax Credits. :eek: Never knew that. Then we'd get an NHS voucher too for free prescriptions and eye tests etc.
  • Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh nice
  • v0idv0id Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most high street opticians do a free 'walk in clinic' where ANYONE can get a free sight check. You should pop in and ask what days thay do it.