Options

Friends who show up unannounced

JDFJDF Posts: 4,250
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got a friend that thinks it's perfect acceptable to drop by without asking first .I have told him several times to just call before he comes but he never does,>:(

Comments

• Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    That used to be commonplace before mobile phones. But I agree, nowadays it's polite to send a quick text asking if it's convenient to call around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That used to be commonplace before mobile phones. But I agree, nowadays it's polite to send a quick text asking if it's convenient to call around.

They was phones before mobiles , I would never dream of showing up to somebody's without making the arrangements beforehand
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were you being naughty with the hoover?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Does not bother us at all, we are either in or out.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Were you being naughty with the hoover?

:D:D:D

We have an open door policy. Don't expect my undivided attention, but drop in whenever.
  • Options
    kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Ha! Someone just posted this on FB..

https://youtu.be/0Swzvm-gXHg

Very true. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JDF wrote: »
    They was phones before mobiles , I would never dream of showing up to somebody's without making the arrangements beforehand

Yes I know. But people often just decided to drop in because they were passing. Nowadays they'd probably ring or send a quick text from the car first.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

And not everyone had a lineline, that is why there was thousands of phone boxes about in the uk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know. But people often just decided to drop in because they were passing. Nowadays they'd probably ring or send a quick text from the car first.

I prefer people telling me first then if I do not want to see them I can make up excuses:D
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a friend that thinks it's perfect acceptable to drop by without asking first .I have told him several times to just call before he comes but he never does,>:(

Pretend you're out and don't answer the door.

Open the door naked and tell him it's not a convenient time to call. Or ask him to come in. Whichever you think will be most effective to get rid of him.

Poke him with a broom handle through the letterbox.

Sneak out the back Jack.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer people telling me first then if I do not want to see them I can make up excuses:D

So you only want to see your friends when it suits you?
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Pretend you're out and don't answer the door.

Open the door naked and tell him it's not a convenient time to call. Or ask him to come in. Whichever you think will be most effective to get rid of him.

Poke him with a broom handle through the letterbox.

Sneak out the back Jack.

Take up lion taming as a hobby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you only want to see your friends when it suits you?

When it suits both of them is probably what he means. Calling on someone unexpectedly can often mean disturbing them when they're in the middle of their favourite programme, have just sat down to dinner, are about to have a bath or whatever.

Nowadays, it makes sense to just make a quick call and check it's not an inconvenient time.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kizzie wrote: »
    Ha! Someone just posted this on FB..

https://youtu.be/0Swzvm-gXHg

Very true. :D

Found myself laughing out loud to that. Thanks.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I'd be incredibly surprised if they did as I live in the middle of nowhere and quite a distance from all my friends.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm moving to the same part of town as a retired ex-colleague, who is also my boss's mum. I just know that he will mention it to her, and I wouldn't put it past him to give out my address if he knows it.

If she drops by, I will be brutally clear that I don't want her coming to my house. Can't stand the woman, and I'm not polite enough to do otherwise :D
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friends are always welcome here. It's very rare anyone shows up without arranging it first, but if they are passing by they might. If I'm busy then it would just be a quick visit.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having no friends i don't have this issue :D
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    On the problem of unexpected callers - I heard this on the radio when a lady explained that she always answered the door holding her hat and if it was some one she wasn't keen on then she would say something like "Oh you caught me at a bad time as I am just going out" . Cant say if it works though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    On the problem of unexpected callers - I heard this on the radio when a lady explained that she always answered the door holding her hat and if it was some one she wasn't keen on then she would say something like "Oh you caught me at a bad time as I am just going out" . Cant say if it works though.

I tried it once, heard a rather loud friend at my door, grabbed my nearby coat and tried the "I'm just off out" asked where I was going and blurted out "into town"...she informed me that she had just missed the bus herself hence her calling into mine and that we could now travel into town together on the next bus. I couldn't get out of it so went into town, scruffier than usual and had to wander round aimlessly for a short while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I tried it once, heard a rather loud friend at my door, grabbed my nearby coat and tried the "I'm just off out" asked where I was going and blurted out "into town"...she informed me that she had just missed the bus herself hence her calling into mine and that we could now travel into town together on the next bus. I couldn't get out of it so went into town, scruffier than usual and had to wander round aimlessly for a short while.

I have done that to my mate sometimes saying about to go out he said I'll just sit at yours you get back then>:(And other times he will say I will drive you into town then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done that to my mate sometimes saying about to go out he said I'll just sit at yours you get back then>:(And other times he will say I will drive you into town then

:D It taught me a lesson...don't answer the front door.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »

For my aforementioned ex-colleague, I have already decided upon 'I'm busy now, and I would not like you to just drop by in future' (said on the doorstop).

Haven't decided how I'd follow up if she asked how she can 'warn' me. I was thinking something along the lines of 'Sorry, but this is my home, and I'd like to keep it separate from work.' (or maybe ('I prefer to keep it private').

I can't go full-honesty ('I don't actually like you and would be quite happy to never see you again') because I'm not that brutal, and she's my boss's mum.

EDIT: On a quick re-read, those excuses make it sound like I'm hiding a body, but that's a chance I'm willing to take!
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I'm moving to the same part of town as a retired ex-colleague, who is also my boss's mum. I just know that he will mention it to her, and I wouldn't put it past him to give out my address if he knows it.

If she drops by, I will be brutally clear that I don't want her coming to my house. Can't stand the woman, and I'm not polite enough to do otherwise :D

Why not ask the person to not give out your information and prevent this happening
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like he might need to learn some boundaries! They are always welcome, but I can't imagine a friend asking to sit at my house while I was out :D